Home Main Category Clubhouse

Michigan is closed...

13»

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,628 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    CHIRO1989 said:

, living in a small town has its perks.
    Living where its not negative **** this degrees has more perks. 
    Did 4 Missouri summers, you can have them. Cold snap is revealing all of my SHTF deficiencies before they are big problems. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,664 Senior Member
    What CPJ said. I don't like cold.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,923 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    How about an RTG? Heat and electric in one compact package!
    Up here, it's critical to have a heat source that is not dependent on electricity...power outages are frequent and often lengthy...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,664 Senior Member
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    Work was canceled due to the Consumers compressor station fire.  Probably not working tomorrow either.  Hopefully they dont also cancel Saturday.  I highly doubt the customer will adjust the schedule to compensate for the lost days.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    https://local.theonion.com/minnesota-resident-thinking-of-finally-packing-it-all-u-1832169119?fbclid=IwAR07FeQqQqxCIB-HRnBfcVq6jEY1wxxfjfieS7Ovds0D1KhkZ0h1xbZrZlQ

MINNEAPOLIS—Admitting that this week’s extreme wind chills were starting to get to her, Minnesota resident Anne Mauer confirmed Tuesday that she’s seriously thinking of packing it all up and moving somewhere warm like Michigan. “The winters here can be so brutal. Maybe it’s about time I go someplace down south like Detroit or Kalamazoo,” said Mauer, adding that she had even applied to a few jobs in Iowa but worried it’d be too far from her friends and family back home. “I visited my sister in Ohio last Christmas, and the lowest it ever got there was, like, 10 degrees. It was so nice. Supposedly, they only had, like, two and a half feet of snow all winter. That’s what I want.” At press time, Mauer had given up plans to move and settled instead on a week-long vacation in Rochester.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member

This is where I keep my setting all winter when Im at home. The dots past 60° is where I kept it when women and children had to be considered. My house is old and drafty, my ducts are not insulated. I'm not inclined to repair or improve. I have layers of clothing on at home and heavy wool blankets on my bed. When my sons here he has warm clothing and bedding.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,397 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    :D:D:D .............................HELL NO! The side effects of that device are substantial. Sayin'. :#
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Genesee Valley Center (the local mall here in Flint) closed down today. The freezing broke a water main.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    The kids have tomorrow off school too. That makes 6 school days in a row. The natural gas emergency will be lifted at midnight tonight-- I guess they forced their industrial customers (General Motors and others) to shut down their plants today. Mail hasn't come in two days, trash didn't get picked up today.
    -Thomas Paine
    Got the furnace dude here and we are back up to 70 tonight, all the cars started, I have a new oil filled radiator space heater, and a new list for the SHTF planning.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,916 Senior Member
    Glad you guys in the frigged north are doing well.  This has been a dangerous cold
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I have to say, my appointment book was not affected much until today, still was not a slow day, lots of folks with car troubles.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,946 Senior Member
    Does all of this give you a warm fuzzy feeling at the thought of banning the use of fossil fuels?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #76
    Does all of this give you a warm fuzzy feeling at the thought of banning the use of fossil fuels?
    no one to blame but yourself  :*

America colonisation ‘cooled Earth's climate’
    31 January 201

Colonisation of the Americas at the end of the 15th Century killed so many people, it disturbed Earth's climate.

That's the conclusion of scientists from University College London, UK.

The team says the disruption that followed European settlement led to a huge swathe of abandoned agricultural land being reclaimed by fast-growing trees and other vegetation.

The team reviewed all the population data it could find on how many people were living in the Americas prior to first contact with Europeans in 1492.

It then assessed how the numbers changed in following decades as the continents were ravaged by introduced disease (smallpox, measles, etc), warfare, slavery and societal collapse.

It's the UCL group's estimate that 60 million people were living across the Americas at the end of the 15th Century (about 10% of the world's total population), and that this was reduced to just five or six million within a hundred years.

The scientists calculated how much land previously cultivated by indigenous civilisations would have fallen into disuse, and what the impact would be if this ground was then repossessed by forest and savannah.

The area is in the order of 56 million hectares, close in size to a modern country like France.

This scale of regrowth is figured to have drawn down sufficient CO₂ that the concentration of the gas in the atmosphere eventually fell by 7-10ppm (that is 7-10 molecules of CO₂ in every one million molecules in the air).............................

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,946 Senior Member
    I think it's your fault, das68.  I haven't colonized anything.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    I am not that old

The Little Ice Age started around the mid 1300s and lasted until the end of the Civil War in the U.S., or around the late 1860s. That froze a lot of people. Then the bubonic plague wiped out those 75 to 200 million people in Eurasia and Europe in 1347 to 1351. Along with cyclical lows in solar radiation, heightened volcanic activity, and ocean current circulation variations that changed the climate. Europeans started it by THEIR great dieoff from the plague. And the Earth did it's best to off the rest by freezing the rest to death, but that noble effort failed.

So DAS68 is partially right. But he left out the good bits. :)
    ― Douglas Adams
    We're supposed to get rain then snow on Sunday, go figure. 
    We are going to get a nice thaw, then freeze again. That should make life interesting. Nice thick sheets of ice!
    -Thomas Paine
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    My hands are frozen in a death grip. On fossil fuels. I will need careful guidance to release my grip.
    cpj said:

That is called self moderation.

das68 said:
    poor lad
    thats done in his workshop/ garage?

Dam I miss messing with Shush. :-(

you should seek professional help

cpj said:
    das68 said:

31 January 201

Colonisation of the Americas at the end of the 15th Century killed so many people, it disturbed Earth's climate.

The team says the disruption that followed European settlement led to a huge swathe of abandoned agricultural land being reclaimed by fast-growing trees and other vegetation.

The team reviewed all the population data it could find on how many people were living in the Americas prior to first contact with Europeans in 1492.

It then assessed how the numbers changed in following decades as the continents were ravaged by introduced disease (smallpox, measles, etc), warfare, slavery and societal collapse.

It's the UCL group's estimate that 60 million people were living across the Americas at the end of the 15th Century (about 10% of the world's total population), and that this was reduced to just five or six million within a hundred years.

The scientists calculated how much land previously cultivated by indigenous civilisations would have fallen into disuse, and what the impact would be if this ground was then repossessed by forest and savannah.

The area is in the order of 56 million hectares, close in size to a modern country like France.

This scale of regrowth is figured to have drawn down sufficient CO₂ that the concentration of the gas in the atmosphere eventually fell by 7-10ppm (that is 7-10 molecules of CO₂ in every one million molecules in the air).............................

Sounds like bitter scientists. We kicked Englands ass many years ago. When they gonna let it go? 
    Dam I miss messing with Shush. :-(
    But, is he really gone........
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    das68 said:

31 January 201

So basically what this article is saying is. . .

If you wipe out 8% of the world's population with colonization and imported diseases, the trees take over and we get an ice age. EEEEEEEE!

vs. . . 

If you have a whole lot of people exploiting the land and burning fossil fuels, you get global warming.  EEEEEEEE!

So what exactly is the proper level of pandemic, slavery, genocide, and resource exploitation to maintain the delicate balance?  It's getting so hard to keep track.    ;)
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    edited February 2019 #86
     crisp morning.

das68 said:
     crisp morning.

Looks like a thin skin of ice on the canal.
    ― Douglas Adams
    edited February 2019 #88
    tennmike said:
    das68 said:
     crisp morning.

Looks like a thin skin of ice on the canal.

yes just a bit

can be a nice quiet time of day

warmed up later

have had the snow but not the very heavy overnight frost we can get

high of 6c and fog today rain all week

the ramblers will be out in droves

same place early in the year

not my photo

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #89
    Dont know why you lot are complaining, it so hot over here I had to add some icecubes to Gentleman Jack when the sun went down to make it drinkable.....two/to/tu/ glasses and the world is is locking rozy........

its 100 past 12 twalve ppppmm and i am felling god.....
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 452 Member
    Jayhawker said:
    An actual picture of local wildlife visiting our bird feeders today...

...could be much worse :