Home Main Category Clubhouse

Do hamburger buns make a difference

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,054 Senior Member
edited January 2019 in Clubhouse #1
When my wife and I go shopping and we pic up hamburger or hot dog buns we seem to always cheap out and buy the Wally World brand.  A bun is a bun we thought.  We had a cookout last night with a neighbor and they brought over Cobble Stone Sesame seed buns.  My wife took a bite, looked at me and said no more Wally World buns.  When I took a bite I thought the same thing.  

The new CB buns made the burgers taste so much better.  A good bun makes all the difference in the world on a burger or hot dog!

Anyone else experience this!
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,941 Senior Member
    Yes.  This is one of the reasons I prefer Sonic's burgers to Dairy Queen's.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,921 Senior Member
    Yep...good quality buns change the whole hamburger/hot dog experience...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member
    Now try it with Kings Hawaiian Rolls
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    Now try it with Kings Hawaiian Rolls
    I've seen those, we'll have to give them a try!

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,663 Senior Member
    Too sweet for burgers.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Bad buns ruin good burgers, but good buns can't save a bad burger.🍔
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,294 Senior Member
    Never tried those. I buy Wonder bread now instead of store brand
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    I don't care for any funky type buns at all. I hate oversized buns too-- the point of the bread is to hold condiments and meat together. I have found that if you toast the burger bun first, then wrap it like you got it from a fast food place, the bun steams a bit and makes the whole burger better. Hawaiian buns? We did that for burgers once. Never again. Way too sweet, but they would work for sloppy joes, or a mock McRib sandwich (ground pork burger, pickles, onions, and a sweet/tangy BBQ sauce).

Hotdog buns get steamed.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    I like a good toasted Kaiser roll........

Any sandwich is better with a good bun. Why I don't like Subway. Soft bread.

Never cared for steamed hotdog buns. Why I never get k ruat on a dog even though it tastes good..... makes them soggy.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    It is a Flint, Michigan thing. Hotdog is a Koegel Vienna, bun is steamed. Just the way it is and it doesn't taste right otherwise.
    -Thomas Paine
    Will have to try the grilled hotdog buns. I like my weiners blackened on the grill..........  not boiled.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,658 Senior Member
    I like the larger sesame buns but around here they can be hard to find, restaurants mostly use the small buns. First time we got hamburgers at a local restaurant all that was on it was a beef patty, no condiments no onion lettuce or tomato. Asked about it and lady said oh you want a deluxe. First time we had heard that a normal burger was a deluxe. Onion and tomato is a must but can't have lettuce, will make me sick for two days if I eat it.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    Will have to try the grilled hotdog buns. I like my weiners blackened on the grill..........  not boiled.
    Interesting side note about cooking wieners on the grill.  My pop used to take a knife and just cut through the skin of the wiener making spiral or diamond patterns around the wiener prior to cooking.  I followed my pop and have always done it the same way.  Now my boys do it.  The wieners expand a bit more than they normally would.  Not sure if it makes them taste better but it's a family tradition.

We also do they same thing when we grill smoked sausage!

edited January 2019 #15
    I like when the skin bubbles and gets crispy. That is what hotdogs lack...... texture.

Either Castleberry's coney sauce and sharp shredded cheddar or ketchup, mustard, and onions.....

cpj said:
    jbp-ohio said:
    They do it at Freddy’s Steakburgers. Tried their hot dogs on a whim. Pretty tasty. 
    There is a new one less than a mile from here........ still never tried them yet
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Yep, it sure does make a difference.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Just had some Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse split top hotdog buns with Angus beef (no msg, additives, gmo, no byproducts, 100% beef ect ect....)   and the buns and the better hotdogs make a huge difference.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief said:
    Just had some Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse split top hotdog buns...
    And what's up with these split top hotdog buns? I've just noticed them in the local Mal*Wart the last few months.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Big Chief said:
    Just had some Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse split top hotdog buns with Angus beef (no msg, additives, gmo, no byproducts, 100% beef ect ect....)   and the buns and the better hotdogs make a huge difference.

I have tried some $$$ hotdogs over the years, yet I still prefer plain old Oscar Mayer cheapo's.....
    rberglof said:
    ...but can't have lettuce, will make me sick for two days if I eat it.
    As an aside, our daughter can't eat lettuce either - until she tried a head of my wife's home grown which she didn't have any problems with whatsoever. Try growing your own or maybe the local hippie organic place has some. The stuff from Salinas must have pesticides or something on it...

zorba said:
    And what's up with these split top hotdog buns? I've just noticed them in the local Mal*Wart the last few months.
    Way back in the day, that is how they used to do the Flint style ones.
    -Thomas Paine
    Never saw 'em before!

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,740 Senior Member
    I grill about four hamburgers a year and use the Deli fresh buns, and they're fine.  I don't eat hot dogs, (which I wish I did)  but I agree with grilling the buns...makes them better.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member

I got one of these as a gag gift many years ago.  If I had to guess I would say it has toasted close to 1000 hotdogs and buns.  Nothing beats the snap of a Koegel.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,915 Senior Member
    If you ever get the opportunity try a Zweigles hot dog with a fresh roll.

https://zweigles.com/products/product/type/natural-casing-hot-dogs/

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,989 Senior Member
    I do not like buns on my burgers. It’s filler and takes away from the flavor of the meat. 

Buns = Bad
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    I don't normally eat burgers; so, the bun doesn't really matter.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,575 Senior Member
    Life is too short for white bread.  Or white buns.  Eat good stuff!  Good buns make all the difference.  
    zorba said:
    rberglof said:
    ...but can't have lettuce, will make me sick for two days if I eat it.
    As an aside, our daughter can't eat lettuce either - until she tried a head of my wife's home grown which she didn't have any problems with whatsoever. Try growing your own or maybe the local hippie organic place has some. The stuff from Salinas must have pesticides or something on it...
    I have tried all different kinds of lettuce and even kale and can't eat any of them. I have not tried straight out of the garden, not sure I will ether cause I don't like being sick and if I do get sick it will be for 2 days.

edited January 2019 #31
    You do know why people were getting sick from lettuce a couple years back in California.

Farm workers were peeing in the fields.