Home Main Category Clubhouse

Do hamburger buns make a difference

2»

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    I grabbed some dinner rolls today. I am going to make the family some sliders in the next couple of days. I already had the stuff to do Flint style coney dogs yesterday. Those are dinner tomorrow. I am also making the "red sauce" for the regular hot dogs (my first job was working for the Moore family and I still remember the recipe)...

Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • SergioSergio New Member Posts: 12 New Member
    Of course it matters. I'm a burger lover and I tell you, the bread is about 50% of what burgers are all about.

Without good buns, you're just eating greasy meat and salad with seasonings accompanied by... bad bread.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,827 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    I grill about four hamburgers a year and use the Deli fresh buns, and they're fine.  I don't eat hot dogs, (which I wish I did)  but I agree with grilling the buns...makes them better.
    If you don't eat HD's because of the  whole cured meat thing, try some uncured Turkey dogs, they're not bad. I love a good HD in the natural casing but every time I ate one, or two :),  I would get the old belly burn after about a half hour.
    Bread makes the difference, too. The grocery store white bread should not even be called food!! But try and find a good bakery anymore!!
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Forget the buns.  I like my burgers on toasted rye with mustard,  grilled onions and Swiss cheese.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    Rye isn't fit for human consumption.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,671 Senior Member
    Onion rolls from the grocery store baker are pretty good for burgers too.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    I used those to make Arby's Beef and Cheddars: Onion roll, cheap roast beef, cheese sauce, and Catalina salad dressing.
    -Thomas Paine
    zorba said:
    Actually that would be that cheap white (or brown for that matter) crap that gets labeled as bread.  The cheap buns are made of the same dough too...
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    My favorite burger included a toasted (not burnt) bun, a medium rare Patty, hot pepper cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion and A-1 sauce
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Rye makes damn good whiskey. Rye bread? You can't make a Reuben without one. Or a decent patty melt.
    -Thomas Paine
    Or a good ham and cheese.  The patty melt would be what I described above...
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 314 Member
    mitdr774 said:

I got one of these as a gag gift many years ago.  If I had to guess I would say it has toasted close to 1000 hotdogs and buns.  Nothing beats the snap of a Koegel.

Never knew something like that existed

Gila said:
    zorba said:
    Actually that would be that cheap white (or brown for that matter) crap that gets labeled as bread.  The cheap buns are made of the same dough too...
    Yea, that too. Its a "Wonder" they think that's bread...

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    A patty melt and rye bread...YUM!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #46

How fortuitous that these (bacon is ground into the patties) are on sale down the street and it should be warm enough to grille on SUnday.............
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    I ended out doing the stuff for the old school hotdogs with the red sauce, Flint style coney sauce, and Chicago style hotdogs. Obviously using Koegel Viennas.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,922 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    I enjoy rye bread on occasion. But it MUST be buttered and toasted. 
    Or have corned beef and/or pastrami between two slices.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    edited January 2019 #49
    cpj said:
    Sliders come from White Castle. Period. You may make a tiny tasty burger, but it aint a slider. 

White Castle microwaveable Sliders. Best thing for sea sickness ever invented. 4 parts grease, 3 parts fat, 9 parts slime. Nuke it, hit it with mustard, and down the hatch!

cpj said:
    Oh. I missed this.
    Sliders? What are you, a soccer mom? One other benefit of ditching facebook was not having to see stupid slider recipes.  Pulled pork sliders. Chicken sliders. Roast beef sliders. Turkey sliders. No. Just NO! Putting meat on a dinner roll does not a slider make!
    Sliders come from White Castle. Period. You may make a tiny tasty burger, but it aint a slider. 

I don't do full on White Castle, I do the Detroit "slider" thing-- basically put some onions on the griddle, smash down a small patty on top of the onions, turn, set buns on top, and cover for a bit until it finishes cooking. Those burgers go back to the 1930's so they ain't no soccer mom crap. "Everything" means they put mustard, ketchup and pickle on it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Meh.
    -Thomas Paine
    Diver43 said:
    cpj said:
    Funny story about corned beef.  My wife made it and my picky eating middle son was around 10 at the time.  He took one look at it and said "I ain't eating that stuff"!!!  Well hunger got the best of him and he carved off a small piece and ate it.  He proceeded to test a second piece!  Then it was game on!  He devoured that corned beef and it's now his favorite meal when someone will make it for him.

Corned beef sandwiches...game on!

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,922 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    cpj said:
    Funny story about corned beef.  My wife made it and my picky eating middle son was around 10 at the time.  He took one look at it and said "I ain't eating that stuff"!!!  Well hunger got the best of him and he carved off a small piece and ate it.  He proceeded to test a second piece!  Then it was game on!  He devoured that corned beef and it's now his favorite meal when someone will make it for him.

Amazing what it takes to get kids to try something 
    We love corned beef on rye sandwiches.  
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I just cooked and ate those sliders. Man they were good! No pictures... just an empty plate now.
    -Thomas Paine
    Diver43 said:
    Diver43 said:
    cpj said:

Amazing what it takes to get kids to try something 
    We love corned beef on rye sandwiches.  
    Amen to that!

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #56
    cpj said:

White Castle burgers ARE tasty....but as my son says " After the first 8 or 10 they start to taste like ass"...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    Corned beef and cabbage.