Home Main Category Clubhouse

Knife Makers

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,958 Senior Member
Been out of knife making for 20 years , thinking seriously about getting back into it. Where do you get your bar stock and pre made blades. I am mostly interested in  D2, and 154CM, maybe 440C

JAY

THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,858 Senior Member
    I've bought quite a bit of stuff from Texas Knifemaker's Supply.  I've also orders a little on Amazon, but quality is hit or miss there. I've shopped several websites that sell bar stock for knives, but I have not purchased anything from them.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,144 Senior Member
    I've used Jantz and Texas Knifemakers Supply both with good results.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,074 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #5
    Most of my dealings have been with Tx Knifemakers supply also
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    rberglof said:
    What are you using for the scales?
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,656 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #7
    I have an ash tree that fell that has some nice red coloration in it that has been drying for about three or 4 years, I will cut it into slabs this year and see how it comes out.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Thanks all, it seems Texas and Jantz have the best selection of steel up to 5/32" found a Fla. source for 1/4" D2 for a large camp/utility knife for my grand son in law. My choice of scales/handles is rosewood, desert ironwood, figured walnut, and black micarta.

JAY
    FWIW, I've used several pairs of stabilized spalted pecan from Texas Knifemakers and they all came out very nice.  Beautiful color and very hard wood for durability.  Here's a few I did using those scales.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    I don't know what "stabilized spalted" means, but those handles sure are purty.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    FWIW, I've used several pairs of stabilized spalted pecan from Texas Knifemakers and they all came out very nice.  Beautiful color and very hard wood for durability.  Here's a few I did using those scales.

I might have to look into some Pecan, BTW you do nice work.

JAY
    edited February 2019 #12
    cpj said:
    I don't know what "stabilized spalted" means, but those handles sure are purty.
    Spalted refers to the pattern of the wood, caused by a fungus. 
    Stabilized refers to the being stabilized by an epoxy thats applied in a vaccuum chamber
    What he said... The stabilization is just to keep the wood from splitting, protects the wood and it gives a nice, smooth finish since the voids are filled with epoxy. I also wet sand them with 2000 grit and danish oil multiple times to finish them. They don’t take stain well. 

Just as a PSA, it’s a very good idea to wear a mask or respirator when sanding wood in general, but I consider it mandatory with stabilized wood. Breathing epoxy dust isn’t good for you. I’ve also heard that breathing the fungus stuff from the spalted wood isn’t good either. 
    jaywapti said:
    Jay said:

I might have to look into some Pecan, BTW you do nice work.

JAY
    Thank you. Ive also done the desert iron wood and it’s came out nice as well. But I really like the spalted pecan.