Home Main Category Clubhouse

I'm confused about federal gun laws

fiorasyndra1fiorasyndra1 Posts: 1 New Member
Hi, I'm 18 years old and I legally own 3 long guns in the state of Oregon. I'm looking to legally purchase a replica 1873 Colt Single Action Army revolver. I've tried to look up the relevant laws but they overlap and otherwise are confusing.

So in Oregon law anyone age 18 and older may legally possess and purchase any firearm whether or not it is a handgun or long gun. However, the Oregon Legislature tried to close this "loophole" in 2015 by mandating that, in general, all firearm private-party sales must go through an FFL dealer, as well as requiring all firearms dealers to be FFL. So even though it's legal for me to purchase a handgun, there's no mechanism for me to legally purchase one. It's a Catch-22.

My question is, does the exemption in federal law that applies to antique guns and replicas mean that I can purchase a replica revolver at 18? And what about the ammunition that these antique revolvers require? 

Replies

• das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #2
    I think you may be mixing up the term antique and replica.

Antiques and Replicas

Antique firearm includes any firearm manufactured in or before 1898, any replica of such firearm not designed or redesigned for fixed ammunition, or a replica that uses fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the U.S. and not readily available in ordinary channels of commercial trade.

While generally by definition, firearms laws do not apply to antique firearms, in Oregon those prohibited from possession of firearms, are expressly prohibited from possession of antique firearms.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Sometimes the guy behind the counter at a local gun shop can be helpful about fine edge legal information as to firearms purchases within his venue. Times are in transition and the key word in my statement is sometimes.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    An unusually articulate 18 year old. A rarity in this age... Just saying. 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    up very late
    or up very early

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I can't answer your question, but one point of interest about state vs federal gun laws, is that local county sheriffs, all over the country, refuse to enforce federal laws that they deem to be unconstitutional, and they have been getting away with it, forever. Some entire states still refuse to enforce the Gun Control Act of 1968.

It doesn't mean that the federal government cannot send federal agents to any place in the country and enforce any federal law - they just never do, unless they want to make some political point for some larger political reason. Voters get very pissed off, when the feds roll into their home town and arrest their elected officials, at gun point. Bad optics, politically speaking.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,966 Senior Member
    Call your local Sheriff's Office and ask them this question. If they can't answer it, maybe they can direct you to a legal attorney specializing in gun laws where you live.

Don't further confuse yourself seeking legal "advice" online.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member
    The laws are designed to be confusing, hard to follow, and easy to inadvertently break.  The laws are supposed to be a barrier to entry to dissuade regular people from getting guns.

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov