Contact your congressional rep, urge no new taxes

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
There's a lot of pressure on Boehner and other in the House to bend to Obama and allow more new taxes on the budget deal.

Please email your congressional rep and urge strong unity and support for a no new taxes deal.

Thankfully my rep is John Culberson, one of the true conservatives in congress. I used to have Sheila Jackson Lee. Sigh.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,412 Senior Member
    Done!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,741 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    There's a lot of pressure on Boehner and other in the House to bend to Obama and allow more new taxes on the budget deal.

Please email your congressional rep and urge strong unity and support for a no new taxes deal.

Thankfully my rep is John Culberson, one of the true conservatives in congress. I used to have Sheila Jackson Lee. Sigh.

Sam I know I'm the dirty liberal here, but I think we need to be honest with ourselves if we really want to balance our budget. The hole is big enough that it's going to take some real pain to fill. While I'm not for high taxes, especially now that I'm finally making a nice paycheck (instead of being a poor student). While we definitely need to cut spending, especially when it comes to unnecessary subsidies (oil, farm, ethanol, etc), entitlement spending (SS, medicare, medicaid, unemployment, welfare), and defense/DHS (especially money wasted blowing holes in deserts and overstepping our civil liberties at home), I don't think it's too much to ask that we repeal the Bush tax cuts and go back to the tax rates under Clinton. It is clear by the abysmal job and economic growth we experienced under Bush that his tax cuts didn't to diddly squat for the economy other than blow a huge hole in our budget. We had a balanced budget under Clinton and I don't see why we couldn't go back to the same tax and spending rates when he was in office supported by a Republican congress.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Sam I know I'm the dirty liberal here, but I think we need to be honest with ourselves if we really want to balance our budget. The hole is big enough that it's going to take some real pain to fill. While I'm not for high taxes, especially now that I'm finally making a nice paycheck (instead of being a poor student). While we definitely need to cut spending, especially when it comes to unnecessary subsidies (oil, farm, ethanol, etc), entitlement spending (SS, medicare, medicaid, unemployment, welfare), and defense/DHS (especially money wasted blowing holes in deserts and overstepping our civil liberties at home), I don't think it's too much to ask that we repeal the Bush tax cuts and go back to the tax rates under Clinton. It is clear by the abysmal job and economic growth we experienced under Bush that his tax cuts didn't to diddly squat for the economy other than blow a huge hole in our budget. We had a balanced budget under Clinton and I don't see why we couldn't go back to the same tax and spending rates when he was in office supported by a Republican congress.
    Unfortunately times are quite different then when Clinton was in office and alot of people (including myself,) dont have any spare room to piss away money. Our national debt is way to far behind to do anything positive with anyways. Honestly I dont know enough about politics to say what I think needs done next, but Im sick of paying for everyone else to sit at home, drink beer and watch cable TV while Im at work.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,146 Senior Member
    It is clear by the abysmal job and economic growth we experienced under Bush that his tax cuts didn't to diddly squat for the economy other than blow a huge hole in our budget. We had a balanced budget under Clinton and I don't see why we couldn't go back to the same tax and spending rates when he was in office supported by a Republican congress.
    Didn't do diddly squat? Those tax cuts kept the unemployment rate below 5% until 2008. Economic conditions could have been much worse after 9/11, without tax cuts. Clinton was only able to raise tax rates because of Republican insistence on spending cuts as well.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    My Congressman is Allen West. Nuff said.
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,719 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    You and I know damn well that they WONT cut spending. Therefore, all politicians can kiss my white backside, and shove new taxes up theirs.

What he said.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
    cpj wrote: »
    IF they would cut the spending, I MAY be on board with you. (I just threw up a little in my mouth) And IF my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle. You and I know damn well that they WONT cut spending. Therefore, all politicians can kiss my white backside, and shove new taxes up theirs.

Yeah I know I keep hoping for sensible policies out of washington and it's never going to happen. Supposedly Obama was offering $3 in budget cuts for every $1 in tax increases in recent budget cut negotiations. Obviously none of us know the details and don't really know how true that is and what the cuts and taxes were, but I think that's a pretty fair way to deal with our major deficit problem if it was legit. There are a lot of special interest loopholes and tax breaks you could get rid of without even having to touch tax rates, but then again we know that will never happen because the people getting the tax breaks will throw a fit (and fists full of cash at the politicians to buy them off).

I have been thinking about a new way to fund the government that I think would be awesome and I'd implement if I was made emperor for a day. Instead of constant bickering over the budget that both parties seem to be doing lately, every two years you have the treasury estimate the amount of money that they think the current tax rates will bring in. Then you allocate a certain percentage of the total to the president and every member of congress. You then hold a "draft" similar to a fantasy sports draft where they take turns with each politician getting to allocate their portion of the budget to whatever they think is most important when it is their turn. At the end of the "draft", whatever has been picked gets funded and anything that didn't tough luck, it must not have been that important. I think it would be awesome! They could televise it on all the cable news channels over the course of a week or so. When it got down to the end there would be some tricky games of chicken as far as who was going to have to spend their funds on what. Does the senator from Iowa fund Agricultural subsidies or new mine resistant vehicles for the troops? There's only enough funds for one or the other.

Even better politicians would be forced to show their hand to the public. There would be a very clear record of what their true priorities were and not just what they paid lip service too. It's a lot easier to slip in a tax loophole or a government contract to a big donor when it's burred in a huge piece of legislation. It would be much harder to stand up on national TV infront of the American people and do so on the record.

Anyway that's my pipe dream for when I rule the world.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    Just in case you haven't figured it out by now- - - - - -POLITICIANS LIE! It doesn't matter which party they happen to be associated with, or which part of the electorate they happen to be pandering to at the time. Just because a pol talks a good line and pretends to be a "friend" of a particular group of voters doesn't mean he/she gives a rodent's rosy red rump about anything beyond what that group of people does in the voting booth. Check out the lying scumbag who happens to occupy the oval office at the moment- - - - -he doesn't even have a nodding acquaintance with the truth, much less a speaking one! Expecting him, or the puppet masters who pull his strings to keep their word, or do anything else honest people do as a matter of everyday living is about as likely as finding a chicken with lips! The dummycrats are just a little more comfortable with bald-faced lies than their opponents. The conservatives are just a little more sneaky about it!
    Jerry
    Here's a good example of how our money got squandered by the social engineers:

Clunker Math
    Think of it this way: A clunker automobile that travels 12,000 miles a year at 15 mpg uses 800 gallons of gas a year. A vehicle that travels 12,000 miles a year at 25 mpg uses 480 gallons a year. So, the average Cash for Clunkers transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year. They claim 700,000 vehicles were traded in so that's 224 million gallons saved per year. That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil. 5 million barrels is about 5 hours worth of US consumption. More importantly, 5 million barrels of oil at $70 per barrel costs about $350 million dollars So, the government paid $3 billion of our tax dollars to save $350 million.
    We spent $8.57 for every dollar we saved.

I'm pretty sure they will do a great job with our health care as well

Jerry
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 617 Senior Member
    How do you cut 3 trillion from a budget of 3.7 trillion??? OH you don't!! You claim to cut 3 trillion of projected GROWTH of the budget over multiple years and call that cutting trillons from the budget. When in fact what you plan is cutting some in the OUT years which never seem to actually come about in exchange for tax increases in the early years which always come about. 3 to 1 doesn't even come close to cutting it, 5 to 1 I might could agree with IF the cuts came in the same time frame as the tax increases and the tax increases only came IF the cuts actually came about. Why is it democrats claim they want to return to the Clinton era tax rates but what they really mean is they want the top rate to return to the Clinton era rates? AND why do they think that singles who make over 200K and married or homemakers who make over 250K are multi millionaires???

Republicans offered several amendments to the DOD budget that was on the floor of the house this past week and the democrats objected to every one and yet the democrats claim that the republicans wont allow any cuts in defence...
    Has anyone heard of yesterday's Republican BS story from Mitch McConnell? They want to give Obama his increased debt ceiling, AND let him decide what cuts will be made in return. They SAY it will put the blame on Obama for what happens after that. That has to be the most moronic proposal I have heard yet.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 890 Senior Member
    My Congressman is Mike Pence, one of the most Conservative members in the House. Need I say more?
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 617 Senior Member
    Show me where President Obama was offering any cuts on PAPER.. The truth is he was offering the promise of some supposed cuts in exchange for REAL TAX INCREASES. Why is it liberals or democrats talk about returning to the Clinton Era tax rates when what they really mean is they want to return to the Clinton tax rates only for the top bracket? Sure they want to increase SOMEONE elses taxes and claim it is a shared sacrifice... what did THEY share in sacrifice?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Member
    It is clear by the abysmal job and economic growth we experienced under Bush that his tax cuts didn't to diddly squat for the economy other than blow a huge hole in our budget.

You must have been in school instead of the real world back then, alpha. Most people I know prospered under Bush--I know I did. His tax cuts were the right thing to do at that time under the circumstances. Jobs? During the Bush administration I changed jobs four times, each time for the better, and turned down several offers. There was always a job available somewhere during the Bush administration.

Bush got from Clinton an environment were the government was paying its debts and the country was running, so what should the government have done with the additional money it was taking in as tax revenue? Bush gave it back to the people it was taken from--which was the right thing to do. Unfortunately, you had congress screwing up a perfectly good thing when Republicans controlled both houses and the POTUS and they spent like binge drinkers drink and THAT, my friend, not the Bush tax cuts, is what started the hole. Of course the hole got deeper after 9/11 and we started wars that were unfunded, then the housing market crashed because of risky loans, and it just blossomed from there.
    To make a long post short here, ...
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »

I will email mine later on today,, but for now:

I just want to reiderate what I have been knowing and saying all along:

TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:
    .. I get a lot of flack about not knowing the meaning of this but as far as I am concerned thats all it can be!!!!!!!!!! What else can it be?,,, Teach has it right and I agree with him and always have,, Politicians are nothing but scum sucking bottom feeders, liers, crooks, con-artist, scammers,spammers, BS artist, and will say or do anything they have too to get a vote,, heck I bet they would even lie to their own mothers to get in office, they line and fill their pockets off the honest hardworking tax-paying citizen without any thought to how or what they pass will affect the majority and yaada yada yada:blah::blah::blah: :cuss::cuss::cuss:

[QUOTEtv_racin_fan
    Re: Contact your congressional rep, urge no new taxes

Show me where President Obama was offering any cuts on PAPER.. The truth is he was offering the promise of some supposed cuts in exchange for REAL TAX INCREASES. Why is it liberals or democrats talk about returning to the Clinton Era tax rates when what they really mean is they want to return to the Clinton tax rates only for the top bracket? Sure they want to increase SOMEONE elses taxes and claim it is a shared sacrifice... what did THEY share in sacrifice? ][/QUOTE]

:that:

... I got a question for everyone here: " Hows that hope and change working out for you?"
    We are sinking here in America and sinking fast, if something isn't resolved or changed, we are going to really be in some deep kimche, by the end of next year, if we can even get that far!!!!!. Its a day by day survival contest, everyday here in the United States, with all the political rhetoric, BS, the useless and inept programs, that Obama (BAT Ears) wants to pass The nationalization of US companies, the take overs by the Obama administration, Folks I don't want to rain on anyone parade but I call 'em like I see 'em. "It is what it is" Our national credit rating is 2mm from going DEFAULT, raising taxes on anyone is not the answer,, We have to cut wastful government spending thats been out of control for the last 4 or 5 decades, we got to STOP these wasteful entitlement programs, and quit giving money to countries who want to do nothing less than totally annihilate us and or convert us to the Muslim faith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Re: Contact your congressional rep, urge no new taxes

How do you cut 3 trillion from a budget of 3.7 trillion???

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9OK92QG2.htm
    "It is what it is":usa:
    You must have been in school instead of the real world back then, alpha. Most people I know prospered under Bush--I know I did. His tax cuts were the right thing to do at that time under the circumstances. Jobs? During the Bush administration I changed jobs four times, each time for the better, and turned down several offers. There was always a job available somewhere during the Bush administration.

Bush got from Clinton an environment were the government was paying its debts and the country was running, so what should the government have done with the additional money it was taking in as tax revenue? Bush gave it back to the people it was taken from--which was the right thing to do. Unfortunately, you had congress screwing up a perfectly good thing when Republicans controlled both houses and the POTUS and they spent like binge drinkers drink and THAT, my friend, not the Bush tax cuts, is what started the hole. Of course the hole got deeper after 9/11 and we started wars that were unfunded, then the housing market crashed because of risky loans, and it just blossomed from there.

Well said Scott and very well written!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Well spoken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Most people I know prospered under Bush--I know I did.

I know I did too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • DeanCDeanC Member Posts: 156 Member
    Republican "Gang of Six" senator Tom Coburn says that because the GOP only controls the House, it's "stupid and naive" to think that they can cut the deficit without tax increases.

Throw the bums out. It's spending, stupid.
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Obama is so out of touch with the general American public it's scary. It may be apropos of nothing, but this video segment tells a lot about how he thinks the average Joe (not the plumber, necessarily!) should handle budget crises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1JtIY0K_cY

Gas prices crunching your budget? Go spend a chunk of cash you can't afford to get a "hybrid van" to transport your ten kids... seems like his philosophy is "Let them eat cake!"

And to think he's at the head of the group that's supposed to come up with a solution to the current economic crisis.
    Obama is so out of touch with the general American public it's scary. It may be apropos of nothing, but this video segment tells a lot about how he thinks the average Joe (not the plumber, necessarily!) should handle budget crises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1JtIY0K_cY

Gas prices crunching your budget? Go spend a chunk of cash you can't afford to get a "hybrid van" to transport your ten kids... seems like his philosophy is "Let them eat cake!"

And to think he's at the head of the group that's supposed to come up with a solution to the current economic crisis.

I still have a hard time believing that the people of the United States fell for Obama's campaign BS " We are flirting with disaster"
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    I still have a hard time believing that the people of the United States fell for Obama's campaign BS " We are flirting with disaster"

I don't. I honestly believe that the AVERAGE voter has no clue what is really happening in Washington, or how poor a grasp of basic economic principle most of the candidates have.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member

Flirting with disaster? We are way beyond that in many cases - we've flirted with disaster, bought her drinks, taken her home, and got left in the morning with a "Dear Doofus" letter written on the bathroom mirror in lipstick...

Community organizing at its worst. Hang on, folks!

Scott, I'm maybe a bit older than you think. I started my first real job in 2001 (2 months before 9/11) at a defense contractor. Working there for 6 years I saw explosive yet temporary growth in the rate at which the government threw money at us.

While you are correct that for a number of years under bush ( at least 2003-2007ish) jobs were in fact fairly plentiful, the economic prosperity was largely a mirage based upon massive missalocation of capital and an unsustainable bubble. I will readily admit that some of the Clinton prosperity was also the result of a bubble, the tech bubble was at least driven by important technical innovations and the creation of large completely new markets that were sustained well after the bubble burst. The Bush bubble on the other hand was drive by two things wars/defense and housing. The former involved massive increases in government spending (borrowing) in an area that is essentially a pure cost to society (with the exception of the occasional important technological innovation that trickles out of defense research). As for housing, it is a basic necessity and so increases in housing prices in many ways act as a tax on families (people need houses and if prices go up you have to pay more to buy or rent one you have less money to spend on other things). This is offset to a degree by the people who already owned homes and were able to cash in and spend the new "wealth" they had gained from appreciation of their homes. There was something like a Trillion dollors or more of home equity cashed in during the bubble that went directly to increased consumer spending...that's a lot of "economic stimulus".

None of this is to say that it was Bush's fault. In general I think presidents/politicians get way more credit when the economy is good and way too much blame when the economy is bad. I personally think the amount of influence they have is way overestimated and most factors are way outside their control.

Back to the budget, the bottom line is that tax revenues are far below historical norms and spending is way above historical norms. If we are to balance the budget without new revenues we're going to have to go back to spending levels before the 1950's and that's just not going to happen. Right now income tax revenues don't even equal our defense expenditures if you include the wars, DHS, VA benefits/pensions and all the other defense related activities included in other agencies (For example around 50% of DOE's budget is for maintaining our nuclear weapons and a huge chunk of NASA is launching defense satellites). Then again a another good chunk of our deficit is also related to the ongoing economic stagnation...unemployed people don't pay taxes and the increase costs for things like unemployment, food stamps, welfare and medicaid etc. Cutting spending isn't going to do much to fix that part of the problem.
    -DoctorWho
    Back to the budget, the bottom line is that tax revenues are far below historical norms and spending is way above historical norms.
    Tax revenues are low because Corporate rates are high in this country. I have heard that we have some of the highest rates in the world, so that's one of the reasons American companies are fleeing to other countries. Lower the Corporate rates...businesses and jobs will come back. Besides that, company's like GE make a ton of money offshore, and don't pay any taxes to America. That is something that should be changed as well.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT: