Just my .02 on the State of the Union address

Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior MemberPosts: 1,127 Senior Member

In brief, I think that the Prez did well, and in particular I thought he was well received by the congress at large.  Remember when Obama was giving a SOTU speech and someone called out, "Liar!"?  Well, no

one did that to Trump, and I was fearing far worse.  I heard no boos, no catcalls, no rudeness.  To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement.  I still doubt he'll get his wall, but at least he didn't get heckled.  Your thoughts?

Member formerly known as "vlafrank."

Replies

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,354 Senior Member
    I was surprised by the fact that, at least until yesterday, CNN hardly made any (negative) comments about the speech, but kinda expected the "fact checking" article about it in their web page (Can't recall them doing such thing to any POTUS before Trump).
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,197 Senior Member
    You can't trust anything democraps say. Most of them are pathological liars, which includes the left-wing media.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,190 Senior Member
    Good SOTU address. He gave some good info, and recognized a lot of people that were worthy of it. I noticed the Dems mostly refused to stand, much less applaud, these people. They value partisan politics above the people they supposedly serve.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,801 Senior Member
    It was a good speech. IMO opinion he's not a charismatic speaker. The content if viewed in text is inspirational and if future  history views it as text more so than video and he survives the cloud of indictment it could be quite a legacy.

Being an anti-Trumper I have my suspicions of disingenuousness, but even if Im right, history will surely overlook it.

Another thing that caught my attention was the NPR fact checking afterward. There was some of the usual political padding and peddling but he did not exaggerate on the economy. I was suspicious about the actual state of the economy. Turns out according to a source not so freindly to the President its doing every bit as good as Trump claims, and maybe better. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,889 Senior Member
    Yea, I've had enough of Charisma to last me a lifetime!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Why the beard I wonder?
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,750 Senior Member
    Why the beard I wonder?
    Because operators wear beards. Dont you watch TV?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I guess I missed that show?

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,733 Senior Member
    The content of the speech was excellent, and he delivered it much better than he usually does. His teleprompter speeches are usually delivered in a kind of bored monotone, but not this one. I would like to know who wrote this one.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,750 Senior Member
    When Trump follows the script, he does fairly well.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,733 Senior Member
    Yeah, it's a balancing act. A large part of his base likes him, and is happiest when he is in campaign mode, but there is probably an equal number who want him to stick to the facts, because they believe that the facts favor Republicans. He has to find the 'sweet spot,' and keep the economy roaring along, in spite of Pelosi and Schumer efforts, to the contrary.