Midway has factory second bullets on sale

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
You might be able to find something you need/want there.

I've never had any trouble using factory seconds or blemished bullets before.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 2,163 Senior Member
    Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,841 Senior Member
    Looks like sierra seconds this go round.
    the 30cal 125gr hp/fp is the giveaway
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,598 Senior Member
    There are some good ones there. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,037 Senior Member
    Geez!  $27 per 100 as a SALE PRICE on a factory second blemished .308 Match King????

Are they smoking crack, or have I just been casting my own too long?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,841 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Geez!  $27 per 100 as a SALE PRICE on a factory second blemished .308 Match King????

Are they smoking crack, or have I just been casting my own too long?
    Well, the 175gr match HP are $27.29
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/988280/factory-second-match-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-175-grain-hollow-point-boat-tail-box-of-100-bulk-packaged

Sierra 175 Matchkings are $36.04
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1482335572/sierra-matchking-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-175-grain-hollow-point-boat-tail

That's nearly a 25% discount

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,037 Senior Member
    Soooo. . .smoked crack at the regular price, and drank bong water at the sale price?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 922 Senior Member
    You dont price shop bullets often do you?  The "smoke crack" price is right in the ball park for match bullets.  

If you want "cheap" then you have to stick to .224" bullets or maybe some Speer bullets.  Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, and a few others are all priced in the same general area as each other.  Given the cost of materials, machinery, environmental, and operations Im kinda shocked they dont cost more than they do and are still made here.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    edited February 10 #9
    When the price of copper (shortage?) went up a few years ago, jacketed bullets took quite a jump. What used to used cost under $20 per 100 jumped to $25-30 and up.

As usual, everyone along the chain added a little cost.

Yep, you can still find .224 bullets (FMJs) in bulk for decent price. Calibers above that start getting real expensive.

Gotta shop around and look for sales/specials at every Internet joint you frequent and be prepared to buy 250- 500 or 1000 ct to save the most.   
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,099 Senior Member
    Not a bad price on bullets, if not for shipping. 

I can get 168 gr. AMax for $27 locally, so I'd rather pay about as much (when you figure shipping) and support an actual local reloading shop.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 922 Senior Member
    I have yet to find a good local source for reloading supplies.  If I go to the West side of the state to visit a buddy we usually hit up the places out there.  
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,589 Senior Member
    They had a good price on Sierra 300gr jsp .429s. Both clearance and $1.00 cheaper for factory seconds. I been researching data and my notes. Data calls for coal of 1.735.. My notes say my Ruger SBH cylinder is 1.703.. Was gonna load hot H110 loads with a heavy crimp. I think I'll pass and get Hornady xtps.
  • gmerktgmerkt New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    Look at those factory second bullets at Midway again.  Right now and for the past few days, the seconds are the same price as boxed first line bullets.  The little green 30% off is gone.  Huh?  Somebody may truly be smoking crack there with this bit of pricing wisdom.  Or maybe it's just a mistake waiting to get corrected, but I can't imagine any customer buying seconds for full price. 

When offered, I've been buying Midway's factory seconds for many years.  This time around, not such a good deal even before the 30% discount over boxed regulars disappeared.   Much as I've enjoyed buying these in the past, Midway has eliminated much of the incentive for doing it now.  In any case, the factory seconds are not flying out the door as they've done in the past; I can tell by how long they have been in stock.  

Well,  maybe this is a way for Midway to recoup some of the free shipping money they have been giving up more and more frequently to get people to buy.   Now that so many online sales outfits offer free shipping, it's become a disease that most customers expect to get as a matter of routine.  Larry Potterfield, if you're listening, I'm one of those guys who holds stuff in his cart until the latest free shipping pops up on the home page, then I push the order button.  

Oh, and that big jump in copper prices that occurred 2010-11 which was used as an excuse for bullet manufacturers to bump prices.  That's gone away.  Copper was $4.50 in late 2010;  now it's under $3.00.  
  • gmerktgmerkt New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    This evening, I returned to the Midway site.  Low and behold, most of the factory second bullets are reduced in price again.  Mostly 30%, some 40% and two or three 50%.  .338's are in the 50% category, for example.  Several items, strangely enough, even though blems, are still carrying the full retail price same as boxed regulars.  I can only guess why Midway put the factory seconds at full price, but maybe they finally caught on.  Or maybe Larry P. has someone who reads these comments on the internet.  
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    edited March 8 #15
    Not a bad price on bullets, if not for shipping. 

I can get 168 gr. AMax for $27 locally, so I'd rather pay about as much (when you figure shipping) and support an actual local reloading shop.
    Me too. If I'm not saving at least 20%-25% I'd rather support local interest. By the time you add in shipping you haven't saved caca.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,025 Senior Member
    Midsouth shooters supply has much better deals than Midway for bullets & brass.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,407 Senior Member

I had a big order made up the last time they offered "blem" bullets, and cancelled it when they added the outrageous shipping charges at the checkout page.  Somebody at Midway actually emailed me to ask why I cancelled the order.  I told them if somebody wants to rob me he needs to do it up close and personal, and use a gun!

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite