Home Main Category General Firearms

Shot my M1 Today

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,727 Senior Member
And found something interesting about the sights.  You're supposed to zero it in an inch high at 25 and it will be a 200 yard zero.  I don't have 200 yards, but the windage didn't answer to the 1 MOA adjustments.  After adjusting windage and elevation and shooting at 100 and other adjustments, I missed the target.  I thought it was me, so I got my bud to shoot it while I watched through the scope.  Finally, got my zero (more or less) and with my last three rounds to confirm zero, got about an inch and a half group.  Which is as good as it gets for an old man who doesn't wear glasses.

II bought a couple of magazines off ebay for the rifle, and only one of them worked.  Waste of money.  Bite the bullet and get something with a warranty on it.  Surplus GI if you can find them, which I couldn't.

The rifle has been an interesting one...the gas piston plug was stuck and the piston would pass the shake-test.  I tried to get it off, but no luck.  I got my friend who's also a good gunsmith to try to remove it.  He couldn't, either, so he and his son locked down the gas system in a padded vise and took a 3/8" wrench and a breaker bar to break it loose.

I like the rifle a lot more than I did back when I humped one all over GA and FL back in the 60s.  It's a lot more accurate than the worn-out Basic/AIT rifles I had back then.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,708 Senior Member
    200 yds should be 13-15 clicks up on the sight depending on you personal makeup.

13 clicks was battle sight setting
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,640 Senior Member
    Gene L said:

I bought a couple of magazines off ebay for the rifle, and only one of them worked.  Waste of money.  Bite the bullet and get something with a warranty on it.  Surplus GI if you can find them, which I couldn't.

I'm confused - magazines for an M1? Are we talking about an M1 or an M1 Carbine?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    edited February 2019 #4
    M-14

You see a lot of references to this rifle as M-1A
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,727 Senior Member
    Correction: M1a.  Sorry about that.
    NN said:
    M-14
    Yes, but as the thread title was just "M1", I was confused. Easy to do, I know! ;)

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    NN said:
    M-14
    Yes, but as the thread title was just "M1", I was confused. Easy to do, I know! ;)
    Used to bother me too, I guess it is an Army designation

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    I've never fired one.
    I do like them. Something about auto loaders in that cartridge I like better than anything bigger or smaller.

Just use a seperate optical aid and checker board target in one inch squares and set it up where you want it at 100 yards.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,727 Senior Member
    M1A is the civilian semi-version of the M 14, which was capable of full auto fire.  If so adjusted.  Mine weighs about the same as an M 1, is about the same length, including the flash hider, and shoots .308 in a detachable magazine rather than .30-06 in an eight round enbloc clip fed magazine .  Fifteen years ago, you could get surplus M 14  magazines for a song, but since the wars and the issuance to certain service members, that source has dried up.

I've never owned a Garand.  The M14/M1A is supposedly a slight improvement in design, but the apple didn't fall far from the tree.  I think it was adopted around 1957 or so.  I also think its general issue service life was shortest in US history...maybe the 1892 was shorter, but I don't think so.