Home Main Category Clubhouse

30 hour osha

KMT2KMT2 MemberPosts: 360 Member
Do you know how boring the review of the 30 hour osha  is ... I spent 8 months learning in complete details all the standards. But yet every job I'm applying to wants this stupid card. What part of 13 years doing compliance work with OSHA means I don't know the standards? Heck even when I am working with insurance clients I do it as an inspection like I did at OSHA. 

If you cant tell I am barely listing to the prattle.
I have to weight for the lessends to move on. they don't time the **** correctly to the prattle. so I have to wait. 
 Lord help me .

If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    Next month I have to do all 18 MUST safety modules.  I also have to do code update this year.  Between the two I am looking at close to 40 hours of boredom on a computer.  At least I can break it up into blocks at a time.  I would do OSHA 30, but it only gets me out of MUST modules for one 4 year cycle.
  • KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 360 Member
    CPJ , and that is what is wrong, Heck the osha 30 is such a yawn, that I'm just going through the motions. No with osha 30 construction Ill more likely pay a bit more attention.
     It is a waste, considering all the certs I have for training on many standards and many that wold make a person cringe to do. 
    It seems that reading a resume and asking questions about what you did is no longer the norm. 
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    If you need the paper, you need the paper.  Period.  It's cheaper and easier for your company to pay for you to go through the training than it is for them to make up a test or set of questions, get it approved by the right groups/agencies, document it, and all of that.  Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.  Heck, I'm still getting T-shirts for stuff I'm getting verified on that I've done for years.  It's part of life. 

Overkill is underrated.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    Similar for mechanics, especially emitting for shops that require certifications.  Working 30 years in an industry like that means nothing top the powers that be.  Certifications are what matters. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    Yeah I know its the game, but its like having a BS in the subject and they want more certs.
     its a **** thing.
     Considering that I have no company paying for this crap. I have to do it myself. Makes the crap that much more a pain. 
    Considering 20 years ago If I had worked for MIOSHA(like I did) I would not need to bother with the crap. Heck Ive been asked in interviews , , like what would you do in this safety issues came up, of course I answer and and sort of reminded them in the answer that I have been doing the safety work for 20 years and 13 in MIOSHA so , here is the only answer you can get. 
    Heck I had one company actually reread my resume while asking questions and skipped over the safety questions. They openly said that the answers would be redundant to the resume. I got that job , but in the end had to leave due to massive schedule conflicts and no sleep. 
    Its these automatic computer driven crap readers for resumes that make you have to have it. What happened to good old read the resumes and formulate questions from there. 
    4 years of playing the game. I'm sick of it. I have a background that proves what I have done. The funny thing is I see the same companies rehiring for the position I have applied to years ago every 6 months. Which tells me they hired the wrong person. And continually hire the wrong person due to their filters. 
    But I will fill the check marks out for the resume. The bad thing is I cant put down all the education on the resume due to it would put me near 5 pages. 
    Not like I am pricing myself out of the market either. 
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    KMT2 said:
    The funny thing is I see the same companies rehiring for the position I have applied to years ago every 6 months. Which tells me they hired the wrong person. And continually hire the wrong person due to their filters. 

There's also the possibility that the job sucks and the people keep quitting.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #9
    I had to take a food safety manager class this week. I have to take alcohol server training in the near future too. It seems kind of silly, but my food/alcohol licenses require it. And guess what? Anyone I employ will have a food safety and alcohol server certification too-- my choice. 

While it is mostly common sense, the credentials are a way to cover my own butt if something goes south.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I've been doing what I do for 37years and am pretty good at it but most all licensed contractors in Florida have to take 14 hours of continuing education every year no matter how much experience you have.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    It is whole lot easier for your employer to sell to their customers that their techs are BUTT19 Certified versus saying, "Chris fixed one of those before and he slept at a Holiday Inn Express once."
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    KMT2 said:
    The funny thing is I see the same companies rehiring for the position I have applied to years ago every 6 months. Which tells me they hired the wrong person. And continually hire the wrong person due to their filters. 

yup , and that is why i am not applying there again. 
    Which is why we former and current MIOSHA inspectors  all complain that we don't have the 30 hour card issued on day of graduation from training. we learned it so we earned it. Heck all my certs for confined space, Grain handling, High angle rescue, welding, Crane and such are good.
    cpj said:
    KMT2 said:

Safety folks don’t stick in the same spot for long,  typically, in my experience. My fire inspections may be dealt with by the safety person, maybe maintenance. Just depends on who drew the shortest straw and or got voluntold.
    But I’ve noticed a fair amount of turnover with safety folks from a fair number of
    different companies. 
    true , it is mostly they are inexperienced and learn just enough to be more dangerous some where else, or that the management treats them poorly and then blame all the injuries on them , while not giving them any support or backing, and letting them die on the vine. Most companies believe safety is a one man show and it is all their responsibility, when in fact it is the line supervisors, and employees that must tote the note and management to back the EHS. 
    I had many unions and management officials not believe me until they received massive fines adn I had to re educate them on life and the role of the EHS. 
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    I've had experience operating boats for 35+ years, trailering for nearly 30.  Have been operating them professionally since day 1, 18 years ago.

In the last 5 years I've had to take multiple courses in safe boat handling and trailering.  Written tests and practical (hands-on) tests, too.  My employer deemed all this necessary to make sure I was safe, not because I've had any accidents. 

Did I learn anything in these courses?  Maybe an item or two. 
    Is my employer now "covered" if I get into an accident?  More than likely.  Now they can point to the fact that I have a card that says "He's been trained!  He should know better!" and they can limit their own liability.  I suppose I could have fussed, whined, and said that my years of experience override any need for coursework.  But in the end, I'll either be phased out or get with the program. 
    Overkill is underrated.
    I've had experience operating boats for 35+ years, trailering for nearly 30.  Have been operating them professionally since day 1, 18 years ago.

In the last 5 years I've had to take multiple courses in safe boat handling and trailering.  Written tests and practical (hands-on) tests, too.  My employer deemed all this necessary to make sure I was safe, not because I've had any accidents. 

Did I learn anything in these courses?  Maybe an item or two. 
    Is my employer now "covered" if I get into an accident?  More than likely.  Now they can point to the fact that I have a card that says "He's been trained!  He should know better!" and they can limit their own liability.  I suppose I could have fussed, whined, and said that my years of experience override any need for coursework.  But in the end, I'll either be phased out or get with the program. 
    Yeah, I just hate the expense on my own to deal with this. 
    But it will be done by next week. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    And then we wonder why everything's so expensive - particularly education.
    I hate games too - with a passion. And EVERY single job I've ever gotten was not because of what I knew, but WHO I knew. Every. One.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Im waiting for my employer to ask me to get BICSI certified, but my journeymans license already covers me for fire alarm.  It pisses off the telecom guys that I get to do what would normally be their work (low voltage).  Telecom guys dont have a license and are not allowed to terminate fire alarm because of that.

My ultimate fall back option is to go back to wrenching on cars.  For this reason I retake my ASE tests every 5 years.  The ASE certification allows me to skip the state license test and just get my license back.
    Yeah I have to 45 ceu's every two years for my EMT lic, of which that does not bother me. 
    nine hours to go and I'm done with this cert
    Next month I start my MUST modules.  I also have to do a 15 hour code update before I can renew my electrical license at the end of the year.  I should probably do that one before december.
    Yeah!
    I'm done with the general industry safety card for a 30 hour osha.
    Having slept through most I still came out with a respectable score. The company has a piss poor product and it is out of date. but hey its done. 
    The **** thing is it is a fed standard training and well (even though Michigan is turning fed) Michigan still is a state run state, that has better standards and enforcement. 
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    It isn't the company,  it's also OSHA. If someone gets shocked at work, the first thing OSHA wants to see is the paper that says he is trained as an electrician. The second thing they want to see is the electrical safety training program. Third is the piece of paper of the person who signed off on the program saying they are qualified to write it. 
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Ain't bureaucracy wonderful.....  :#

No good deed goes unpunished...
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    Gila said:
    Ain't bureaucracy wonderful.....  :#

Yep.  So long as the I's are dotted and T's are crossed, everything is okey dokey... 🙄
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    jbp-ohio said:
    It isn't the company,  it's also OSHA. If someone gets shocked at work, the first thing OSHA wants to see is the paper that says he is trained as an electrician. The second thing they want to see is the electrical safety training program. Third is the piece of paper of the person who signed off on the program saying they are qualified to write it. 
    JBo
     yes they want to see training, as who deems the person knowledgeable yup its there. The sad  thing is there is no requirement any wear for them to be licensed or have any specialized OSHA (approved) course to be certified(note OSHA and state programs do not , and I repeat my self DO Not certify anything or anyone. ) Certification is from the company and is deemed that they meet the minimum form their aspects to operate and conduct the work they are being tasked with. The burden of proof is on the CSHO to show that the person(s) were not trained to the standard and that they have( the employer) failed to properly train and instruct the employee in the operations of the task.
     That is why the Preamble to the OSHA act and for all state acts have a line( excuse me I am paraphrasing) That all employers will create a place of employment  free from recognized hazards. 
    Now knowing that OHIO is a fed state (sorry you have that) and have to deal with Federal CSHO's that are specifically trained in only a few standards to a high degree, and then get sent to locations that they have not a clue, is sad. Michigan the CSHO's are trained in all standards to recognize hazards and to help the employer fix them, well sort of now. After I left is has only been a money grab and well the officers are lacking in training and ethics , and the management officials are severely lacking in ethics and integrity .
     Thus that is why 2018 had 38 fatalities and so far 2019 has 4 fatalities. 
    Thus as with what I am doing I am trying to make sure my Clients through the insurance companies I represent are getting the best information to be as safe as they can be. It is ad that the agency that is set to help employers are out for only a money grab.

Sorry folks but I digress on my own posts. I just do not see how agencies that I used to work for can be so miss leading to the americans that need them most, the american workers. 

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    I don't mean to sound like a curmudgeon, but.....so what.....

Imagine OSHA declaring MSDS's were required on every single component your firm handled.

With 12 months to comply. In writing.

Some companies  owned a computer capable of Lotus123 and WordStar51....most didn't.
    Some companies owned a Xerox machine. Most didn't.
    Fax machines in common use were a decade in the future.

Al Gore hadn't yet invented the Internet.

Cursive writing hadn't yet been abandoned.

While you "young" guys will have ample opportunities to complain for the rest of your life.....

At least you didn't have to HANDWRITE it.

And......mailed.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Actually I did a few times, sucked big time. Almost got arrested for it, due to the feds were ordering the info. That was until I stated that i had over 360 injuries and asked what more than the 200 log did they want?
     When they wanted full detail it was on a hand written doc, and I told them they could forget it.
     I was sort of known even before being in the State program for OSHA to be a pain.

But Yeah Line finder it had to suck when you had to kill an eagle to get the feathers for the quill pens to write with! ;)
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    KMT2 said:
    But Yeah Line finder it had to suck when you had to kill an eagle to get the feathers for the quill pens to write with! ;)

Oh, it was easier than that. IBM Selectric typewriters had long before pushed eagles well on their way to not being truly endangered.

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    funny!,
     And I had to learn on some old Remington Manual Typewriter