Home Main Category General Firearms

Stolen Rifle, I'm pissed!

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,054 Senior Member
We have a small guest house out at the ranch where I keep one of the gun safes.  I have a number of friends who leave their rifles with me as they don't have a gun safe at home and they only hunt here.  We've had a bunch of my wife's friends spending weekends at the guest house as well as bunch of workers out doing work.  I open the house during the day so they can use the rest room.

I went down this morning and the gun safe was open.  I had one of my wife's friends new Browning T-bolt in 6.5 creed missing.  My kids keep their rifles in that safe as well.  One of my boys left the safe unlocked.

I'm beyond pissed at my boy's, even more pissed someone stole from me, not to mention extremely embarrassed and ashamed with call I had to make.

I'll be replacing his rifle, scope and mounts.  Waiting for him to give me the serial number so I can report it stolen!

Lots of lessons learned on this one!  I'm glad I don't cursed and cussed as I could rip off a few choice words! 
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #2
    We have a small guest house out at the ranch where I keep one of the gun safes.  I have a number of friends who leave their rifles with me as they don't have a gun safe at home and they only hunt here.  We've had a bunch of my wife's friends spending weekends at the guest house as well as bunch of workers out doing work.  I open the house during the day so they can use the rest room.

I went down this morning and the gun safe was open.  I had one of my wife's friends new Browning T-bolt in 6.5 creed missing.  My kids keep their rifles in that safe as well.  One of my boys left the safe unlocked.

I'm beyond pissed at my boy's, even more pissed someone stole from me, not to mention extremely embarrassed and ashamed with call I had to make.

I'll be replacing his rifle, scope and mounts.  Waiting for him to give me the serial number so I can report it stolen!

Lots of lessons learned on this one!  I'm glad I don't cursed and cussed as I could rip off a few choice words! 
    I'm pissed with you dude, I hate to hear that happen to anyone. Nothing on this earth I hate worse than a scumbag thief.
    You have my sympathies.

I had a friend who was having work done on his house and there were a lot of workers in and around his house every day. He was staying in a rent house while the work was being done. He had one big gun safe and over 50 guns he'd been collecting for over 40 years. He had some classic stuff in there, a few Pre-64 Model 70s, overn and unders, and some other classic stuff. He was very proud of his collection. He went to the house one evening after everybody was gone for the day. He found the  safe open and all but about 5 guns gone. Got all his Pre-64s. He was sick beyond belief.

Another mutual friend says he knows for a fact this guy didn't always give his combination lock a final twist after closing it. He's seen him forget this important step and called him on it. Sometimes he would just shut the door and walk off. I kind of agree with that culprit being a possibility because when I had a manual combination lock on my gun safe I caught myself not doing it too and it didn't always lock. But now I have electronic locks. When I close that door now I make sure I hear it lock. When I turn that handle it is locked tight. You can hear it clunk like a bank vault. Now days I don't leave it unlocked even for 10 minutes and when I've had it opened I always insure it's closed. It just takes a few seconds of the wrong eyes seeing it and you can be ripped off. Anyway, this guys misfortune was my wake up call.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    There is a special heated place for someone who would steal from a guy like you Jeff.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,635 Senior Member
    Can't be too long of a list to investigate, good luck, I think a kid would be working it off until I felt they worked it off. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,966 Senior Member
    Been there, had that happen to me also.

We try to be nice to some people only to struggle with the knife in the back later.

To some Jackwagons, nice and generous is synonymous with"Target."
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

edited February 2019 #6

Next time give me a call, I'm fluent in Sailor...
    Seriously, I wish I had your moral terpitude. I would have still been rattling off choice wirdy dords.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Im empathetic.
    Hopefully the cretins will become emboldened into the welcoming arms of law enforcement ASAP.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,948 Senior Member

I've had guns stolen a couple of times.  It sucks.

Do you have an idea as to how might have taken the gun?

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,742 Senior Member
    Check with the pawnshops in your area.  Not right away because a pawned gun has to be held in the back of the store until the pawn runs out, but if he's sold it, you'll see it on the shelves.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    Well good news, I didn't have my wife's friends husband number so I called his wife to tell her it was stolen and please have her husband give me a call.  He called and said he was sorry, he forgot to tell me that after shooting the 10 pt this fall he took his rifle home to clean it.  He used one of my heavy felt silicon gun covers I store all my rifles in the safe as a gun case.

I've apologized to my boys for tearing them a new one, but not for one of them leaving the safe open.   Thinking really hard now about putting an electronic lock on it if it's up gradable!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    What a fortunate twist.  Glad it turns out nothing is missing.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,925 Senior Member
    Electric or not, you still have to throw the bolt...I always double check to make sure the bolts have engaged...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,948 Senior Member
    I just love happy endings!
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Electric or not, you still have to throw the bolt...I always double check to make sure the bolts have engaged...
    This.  I have an electric and a manual.  Both require checking.

had a handgun stolen from my van once.  Pissed me off something fierce.  Still pissed about it.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,731 Senior Member
    I recommend a "sign-in/sign-out" sheet for when folks take their stuff home.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,966 Senior Member
    You dodged that bullet. Lesson learned without too much pain and that's good!
    B)
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    I just love happy endings!
    Me too - thank Goddess the rifle wasn't really missing!
    Go have a cold one while your heart rate slows down to normal...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    All’s well that ends well! Good news. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Thank God Jeff! Dude I was really feelin' your pain! I hate that crap when some scumbag steels stuff.
    Jayhawker said:
    This is what I was talking about. Make damn sure the bolt lugs close.
    Take your kid out to dinner or buy him a present  so he won't always remember getting yelled at for something he didn't do.   Glad you found the rifle.
    Gene L said:
    Take your kid out to dinner or buy him a present  so he won't always remember getting yelled at for something he didn't do.
    Why?  He still left the safe open.  It is just a happy circumstance the rifle was not stolen.  Everyone gets to raise their kids the way they want.  My kid would not be getting a dinner and a present after he left the safe open just because a gun was not stolen.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Well, while the kid made an error, IMO the greater error was in accusing the kid (quite strongly) for a theft that didn't occur.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,635 Senior Member
    Leaving a gunsafe full of guns accessible is no small error, the boys need to be better than some liberal mom from Sandy Hook, actions and words can have major consequences.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    cpj said:
    Since his “kids” are grown ass men, I’m thinking they could handle (and deserve) a butt chewing. 
    This

kinda how little boys turn into grown ass men, and not end up like snowflakes.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

He referred to them in the OP as boy's (sic) so I assumed they were boys and not grown ass men.  Were it grown ass men, they deserved the pissedness.
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    And that is why we can’t have nice things. Always (always) someone to come along with their opinion and **** it up for everyone.
    Only for those who lack integrity.
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    I should have added to my above post: 
    Via making it personal.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Im 53 years old and my Dad just levels sarcastic redicule at me for my percieved failings since Im too old to yell at. 

A parents job is never done.😋
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Im 53 years old and my Dad just levels sarcastic redicule at me for my percieved failings since Im too old to yell at. 

A parents job is never done.😋
    Yup!  I do the same with my boy...  B)
    No good deed goes unpunished...