Electric Pickups are inevitable.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,032 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    It may be worse now, but it's always been that way. It helps to have a bad memory............ not for you because I'm sure I repeat myself. 
    Yep, the cast and crew have just changed over the years.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,884 Senior Member
    Tugar said:
    But when I do a simple task or three....it takes less time to grab the cordless and get it done. If it's something that will take an hour of drilling, of course I break out the corded one. They do serve well in the easier tasks. 

This is all true. The problem is that the damn battery will either be, or will go, flat right at the critical moment. Battery powered tools can make some sense for those who use them every day, for those of us who do not, not so much.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    edited February 17 #34
    zorba said:
    Which is EXACTLY why I don't have any "cordless" tools. Batteries are a lot better than they used to be, but they still suck. They always will suck.
    I can rebuild the Ni-cad batteries for my Porter Cable cordless tools.

True enough - and Ni-Cads are the absolute worst battery technology ever invented. Li-Ion are vastly better. Even Ni-MH is better. Heck, even Lead Acid is better.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,188 Senior Member
    I've bought and used battery drills and such since the 1980s when they had the crappy nicad batteries that went bad after about a year. Rebuilt them, like Jerm does, and kept on using them. Upgraded to higher voltage ones as they came available. I put the metal roof on my house driving screws into the metal and wood with a Porter Cable battery drill, and had 4 batteries so no down time during recharge. MUCH easier than a corded drill for that purpose. I still have that drill and still use it.

What did I do with the older drills when batteries became unobtainable? I repurposed them to other uses in the shop. One is a variable speed small grinder and polisher depending on what tool I put in the chuck. DC motor speed controls are easy to build and make those old obsolete drills useful again.

Back to electric vehicles. IF someone comes out with one that costs no more than a comparable gas/diesel vehicle with the body style I want, and has a HONEST 250 mile range, I might get interested. Something like a Toyota Rav4 in size, and comes with the options I choose, not what they sell in model 'packages' that have a load of useless crap that I don't want/need. And right now there's no reason that can't be done. Not like they're selling a ton of those electric vehicles now or in the near future.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Don't hold your breathe there, Mike. There will only be "Packages" in the north American market.

cpj said:
    This place has turned to dog ****. I Took a few weeks off, it was refreshing. Came back, by mistake, find its the same god damned thing. Same arguments. Over and over and over again. Doesn’t matter which section, it’s the SOS, different day. 

Oh come on! We haven't had a good dust up over the inanity of Smart fones or face***k in a couple of months now! ;) :D

edited February 18 #38
    Just now an excellent example of why I don't like battery powered equipment cropped up. I've been meaning to video a review of my LaserMax "Grip Sense" green laser for several months. Tonite I decided to get off my duff and do it. You guessed it, it (the laser sight) chose that exact moment for the batteries to go flat.
    It happens every time. And of course, I didn't have spares - which is, admittedly, my own fault. Glad it wasn't a "real need" scenario!
    Granted, I can't exactly plug in my laser sight, batteries are a "must have" if you're going to run one. But it just underscores the ultimate trustworthiness of the whole idea. I'll stick to cords whenever I can.
    New batteries on order, and they're expensive little things too! I had the whole video shoot setup, tripod, lights, etc, and even a fresh coat of nail lacquer. Sigh...

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,503 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    cpj said:
    bisley said:
    cpj said:
    Oh look! An EV thread. In this thread will  will see the following comments:

This is the future!
    This is a waste of money!
    This will save the planet!
    This isnt a "real" truck!
    The range is too short!
    This is too expensive!
    The batteries are too expensive!
    The batteries will hurt the environment!
    This uses FOSSIL FUELS to charge, it aint green!
    The technology is unreliable!
    This uses electronics that will be outdated in months!
    Its Nancy boy -mobile!
    This has plenty of room for Alpha and his purse! lol!
    I have superior knowledge of these vehicles because the last 5 companies Ive worked for in the past 3 years have been in tight with the development of these vehicles. Soon, they will be driving themselves, which will save lives and insurances costs. If you do not believe me, you are an ignorant Luddite!
    Oh, so now Amazon is SATAN! I shall boycott them for their investment in this company!
    This will be perfect for short trips!

That pretty much covers it, I think.  
    Yeah, I can't wait for the day when everybody finally does think exactly the same way, about everything. Once we are all whining about the same thing, all of the hinges can get some oil, instead of just the squeaky ones.

My post was a simple  comentary. And the exact truth of what happens on EVERY electric vehicle post. I can even predict who will say what. So, what’s the point ? I will say I’m surprised that since dear leader has left, it’s actually starting to pick up. He usually got all the natives going. Hmmm.  But anyway, same old aregument ,every damn time. The the old men’s coffee club at the local McDonald’s, electronic version. 
    I'm one, I'll admit.  Funny that you're "notbitching" about something you care so little about, though...

It's almost as if you really do care. Why comment?  Why not just move on to something worthwhile?  Let the Luddites and the Technos sweat the small stuff. 
    This place has turned to dog ****. I Took a few weeks off, it was refreshing. Came back, by mistake, find its the same god damned thing. Same arguments. Over and over and over again. Doesn’t matter which section, it’s the SOS, different day. 

All true.  I wasn't posting to bust your balls, just saying if it bothers you, ignore it.  You'll be happier, believe me. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,599 Senior Member
    All true.  I wasn't posting to bust your balls, just saying if it bothers you, ignore it.  You'll be happier, believe me. 
    There are threads I don't even open. Read what I want then hit 'read al' and let them go down the page.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,708 Senior Member
    cpj said:

Such an angry young man. I'm mildly curious as to how you feel that bitching about everything is better than people arguing about everything?
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    I think there appears to be some confusion with the words 'debate' and 'argue'. They are not the same. Although both give you fodder to digest and think about.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 979 Senior Member
    edited February 18 #43
    Im guessing a cordless Hitachi Magic Wand wouldnt hold a charge long if such a thing had been factory made.  AVE making one doesnt count.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,848 Senior Member
    I bet similar debates occurred when the first cars / trucks were introduced to market. 

"No way those things can out work my trusty steed!"
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,726 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    cpj said:
    bisley said:
    cpj said:

This is the future!
    The range is too short!
    This is too expensive!
    Its Nancy boy -mobile!
    I have superior knowledge of these vehicles because the last 5 companies Ive worked for in the past 3 years have been in tight with the development of these vehicles. Soon, they will be driving themselves, which will save lives and insurances costs. If you do not believe me, you are an ignorant Luddite!
    Oh, so now Amazon is SATAN! I shall boycott them for their investment in this company!

Yeah, I can't wait for the day when everybody finally does think exactly the same way, about everything. Once we are all whining about the same thing, all of the hinges can get some oil, instead of just the squeaky ones.

My post was a simple  comentary. And the exact truth of what happens on EVERY electric vehicle post. I can even predict who will say what. So, what’s the point ? I will say I’m surprised that since dear leader has left, it’s actually starting to pick up. He usually got all the natives going. Hmmm.  But anyway, same old aregument ,every damn time. The the old men’s coffee club at the local McDonald’s, electronic version. 
    I'm one, I'll admit.  Funny that you're "notbitching" about something you care so little about, though...

It's almost as if you really do care. Why comment?  Why not just move on to something worthwhile?  Let the Luddites and the Technos sweat the small stuff. 

Been there, done that.

It finally occurred to me that there are those that pick a herd to run with, and those that have something to say and are by god going to say it, even if it's only on a low traffic Internet forum. They used to call that "having the courage of your convictions.' But, like you say, that's just more of that old man crap from the 'spit and whittle' geezer alliance.

Next, I suppose you will say that I hate you. Not true, but do what you gotta do. I'm here for you.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,788 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Tugar said:
    Amazon Kindles have been around since 2007. It's their own downgraded version of an Android tablet. That's when.

They sell everything and have become the Walmart of the internet. 

Oh I know that - I myself own a Kindle. And there's Alexa and similar nonsense. But I still don't view them as a "tech giant", but more like Mal*Wart as you say.
    Amazon web services run like 40% of the internet. For good or ill they're probably the most powerful company in the world or at least a close second to Google.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    cpj said:
    bisley said:
    cpj said:

This is the future!
    The range is too short!
    This is too expensive!
    Its Nancy boy -mobile!

But we like our coffee club!
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    zorba said:
    Tugar said:
    Amazon Kindles have been around since 2007. It's their own downgraded version of an Android tablet. That's when.

They sell everything and have become the Walmart of the internet. 

Oh I know that - I myself own a Kindle. And there's Alexa and similar nonsense. But I still don't view them as a "tech giant", but more like Mal*Wart as you say.
    Amazon web services run like 40% of the internet. For good or ill they're probably the most powerful company in the world or at least a close second to Google.
    I've heard of AWS, but didn't realize they were so big. Still, Intel is a "tech giant", server farms and a few small devices doesn't qualify to my mind - but whatever! *shrug*

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,195 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    I bet similar debates occurred when the first cars / trucks were introduced to market. 

"No way those things can out work my trusty steed!"
    Plus there weren't gas stations everywhere. 

Other countries run electric cars.  I'm sure they have infrastructure to meet up with that need.  Wonder if we could, maybe, adapt some of their stuff to here in the US?  It's not like the US is the only country trying to implement this.  Yeah, our problems will be different, but some of the solutions might even be the same.
    Overkill is underrated.
    zorba said:
    Don't hold your breathe there, Mike. There will only be "Packages" in the north American market.
    This. Toyota offers a hybrid Camry that gets 52mpg combined (not just hwy). Unfortunately they only sell it in a $4k package that includes a bunch of other "upgrades" that alone would cost $2-3k. They know the hybrid would pay for itself easily in lower fuel costs so consumers who want it will pay so might as well eek out a bunch more profit on things like upgrades sound systems no one actually cares about.

Our current auto market is really really dumb and it's all because dealers have a stranglehold on the statehouses in basically every state in the nation. They have state sanctioned monopolies that harm Americans and ensure fat profits. Tesla is crushing the competition not just because they make cooler EVs, but because they can sidestep the insanity of existing dealer networks and offer customers exactly the car they want.
    -DoctorWho
    When the Chevy Cruise Diesel came out, I went and took at look at it. Base price of the Cruze was something like $15K or maybe a bit less. The Diesel couldn't be had for less than about $24K because of all the upmarket packages that were "standard" on it.
    Diesel owners in general are the cheapest SOBs on the planet - we DO NOT WANT the crap!

zorba said:
    When the Chevy Cruise Diesel came out, I went and took at look at it. Base price of the Cruze was something like $15K or maybe a bit less. The Diesel couldn't be had for less than about $24K because of all the upmarket packages that were "standard" on it.
    Diesel owners in general are the cheapest SOBs on the planet - we DO NOT WANT the crap!
    Exacadacally. I almost, almost bought one the short lived diesel powered Jeeps when they came out. Took a look, salesman gave me the hard sell, and I looked at him and said, "You bleepin bleepety bleep bleepers are frackin' smokin' crack!" And walked out. The look on the salesman's face was priceless. I WANT another diesel truck. I WANT 4WD, a heater, A/C, MANUAL windows, MANUAL seat controls. And a speedometer, tach, oil pressure, radiator temp, and fuel tank gauge, and will accept the usual idiot lights. And I'll buy my own radio/sound system, TYVM, not that craptastic junk from the factory. And I want a manual transmission with lotsa gears. I'll also provide my own GPS unit and backup camera unless the camera is mandated and installed; then I'll uninstall it and put in one that actually works. I don't know much, but I danged well know what I want, and especially what I won't accept.

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,599 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    . I'll also provide my own GPS unit and backup camera unless the camera is mandated and installed; then I'll uninstall it and put in one that actually works. I don't know much, but I danged well know what I want, and especially what I won't accept.

Back up cameras are mandatory now..........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    edited February 20 #54
    Yep, Mike - you and I need to collaborate on a book: "The Idiocy of Buying an Automobile in 21st Century America". Your list looks about like mine - I'll add "no damn leather", but gimme a cruise control.
    The problem with manual transmissions these days is simple: They don't have "lotsa gears" and the ones they do have aren't optimal (because they're a compromise because there aren't enough of them!).
    And yea, JBP is right, the stupid backup cameras are mandated now - I guess people are too lazy/incompetent to use mirrors?

jbp-ohio said:
    tennmike said:
    . I'll also provide my own GPS unit and backup camera unless the camera is mandated and installed; then I'll uninstall it and put in one that actually works. I don't know much, but I danged well know what I want, and especially what I won't accept.

Back up cameras are mandatory now..........
    Then IF or WHEN I buy a new one, the standard equipment one will be ripped out like a rotten tooth and replaced with one that is of much higher quality. :)

zorba said:
    Yep, Mike - you and I need to collaborate on a book: "The Idiocy of Buying an Automobile in 21st Century America". Your list looks about like mine - I'll add "no damn leather", but gimme a cruise control.
    The problem with manual transmissions these days is simple: They don't have "lotsa gears" and the ones they do have aren't optimal (because they're a compromise because there aren't enough of them!).
    And yea, JBP is right, the stupid backup cameras are mandated now - I guess people are too lazy/incompetent to use mirrors?

I have a 'portable' camera and LCD screen receiver now that is way better than the crapola they install now. The camera plugs into the trailer wiring harness on the trucks, and the receiver into the cigarette lighter. And I have the 'magnetic base tennis balls on antennas' for when I don't want to mess with that. I use the side and rearview mirrors when I do or don't have a trailer behind me when backing up.
    Manual transmissions ought to have 6 gears minimum for non heavy duty vehicles. And an overdrive for highway would be nice. A separate overdrive from the transmission like what used to be available.

Yep, or a 2 or even 3 speed rear end!
    Reminds me of the time we were looking at new T-Birds at the Ford dealership. "What do you think?" asked the one sales droid. "Well, its nice enough, but not really my kind of vehicle." says I.
    "What's your kind?" he asks. "Oh, about a '48 deuce and a half flatbed Dodge with a 2 speed rear end..."

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,503 Senior Member
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    Haven't heard that info before. Thanks for posting that; it's interesting and may be the next big step in battery technology. It sure solves that exploding lithium battery problem if true.

• TugarTugar Senior Member Posts: 1,876 Senior Member
    I find it interesting that Toyota, for now, flat our refuses to build an all electric vehicle. Not counting the one off hydrogen cell car they have. They believe hybrids are more efficient and better for the environment.
    Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
    Winston Churchill
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,145 Senior Member

This thread is buggered and doesn't indicate new posts!

No good deed goes unpunished...