Home Main Category Clubhouse

Dish or Direct TV

terminator012terminator012 Senior MemberPosts: 3,929 Senior Member
Had Direct TV for 19 years. Since the Primestar days. Bill goes up every other month. I have been patient with them but since ATT bought them the service has gone down hill. Everytime I call about my bill they tell me they will fix it. 3 phone calls and almost 7 hours later I have been lied to again. Yes, blatentely lied to. Is dish any better or after you have been a customer for a few years they do you the same way?

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    I have had Dish for a long time and the bill has gone up over time but not substantially...at least not enough to make me call and bitch about it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    We cancelled our cable because nobody watches TV in the house and we use the internet for streaming everything anyways, but I had some form of satellite TV about 8 years ago that was awesome. I wish I could remember which company it was because we never had any issues with their service or billing. I even remember an ice storm that had the dish covered in over an inch of ice and the service was still superb.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Direct TV tried the 'ole bait and switch with me years ago.  deal   I will never use them again.  When they merged with AT&T that just reinforced my decision.  I started having random outages of my DSL from AT&T when they started trying to sell me their high speed internet.  I am sure that was just a coincidence.  esquint  I moved everything to cable and never looked back.

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,056 Senior Member
    I have Dish, the secret with the bill is to call at the end of each year and say you're moving to DirectTV.  They want to keep you so my bill stays the same and I get something extra for a few months.  It really shouldn't be that way but it is.  Same as cable and Direct TV!

A few pros and cons.  First on your Dish Anywhere I can watch my DVR or set top box live while on the road with any channels including Prime time shows.  Direct TV restricts you from watching prime time show live while remotely accessing the your set top box

Dish automatically records all prime time shows so no need to set your DVR for those.

Con, they lost their HBO and showtime contracts.  No worries we get HBO on our firestick.

Both suck when it pours rain!

hope it helps
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,936 Senior Member
    Over the years have had both satellite companies. Both steadily raised rates and service was spotty.  Dish got so bad I called to complain. They told me it was the umbrella trees on the side of my house blocking the signal. Told them I was pretty sure that wasn't the issue. Was told that if that was the problem I would be charged a service charge etc.  Knew it wasn't as I had the trees removed two years prior. Finally dumped them and got cable. Rates went up but  no problems with service
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    I've been over ten years without cable tv. The circumstances that lead to the separation made so angry that Im still mad. Its difficult for me to imagine any future willingness to allow further dishonest extortion.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #8
    I have cable, company went from Time Warner to Bright House to Spectrum (Cox ownership). It works, but rates have gone up for what you get. Lady across the street had them come out for one of them satellite/ dish companies. I saw the guy on the roof moving the dish around. He finally told her he couldn't get a signal.......to many tall tress around.

Few houses down, I see a dish, maybe a better LOS?

So I'll keep my cable as a necessary evil, it works good. I also saw where some dish companies have a contract, Spectrum does not, so you can cancel at any time without penalties. 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I also saw where them dish companies charge you $99 or something for a service call just to show up. I dunno, but that sucks if their stuff is broke.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    I classify dish, cable, all other pay tv, internet and phone service providers in the same festering hole. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,683 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #11
    I classify dish, cable, all other pay tv, internet and phone service providers in the same festering hole. 
    Yep, I do too. We had Dish for 12 years, and service wise they were fine. But costs were astronomical what with the package mentality - just like buying a car.
    FINALLY talked my wife into cutting the cord - she's happy streaming, and we only have ONE company to fight with, over internet service.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,672 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #12
    I have had both DISH and Direct since 2003, and both have been reliable, but both raise rates over time. I last enrolled in DISH because Direct raised the rates and wouldn't back down, even when I threatened to quit them, so I quit and went to DISH with a guarantee of no rate increases for 2 years. I just got my first increase of $30.00 per month recently. If they raise it again in another year, I will complain, and if they refuse to keep it the same, I'll go back to Direct. It's as simple as that.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    When our introductory rate for DirecTV ended, we put it in my oldest stepson name for 2 years. We got a new user rate, and he built credit. How he bought a house at 20 years old.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    We had ATT DirecTV in our house in FLlorida......... it is not the same old DTV and I would never get it again.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    Customer retention is who I've been talking to at Direct. No use even waisting time with the folks at a lower level. I'm calling them again tonight. I all ready know it will be a one hour call. Since they screwed me out of 50 dollars a month for the next 7 months, I was told 5 weeks ago they were applying a 350 credit to my account so we could use 50 dollars of it a month to save the 50 we got screwed out of. It's yet to show in our account. The girl I talked to week ago Monday said it would take 24 hours. It's been 7 days and nothing. Tonight is their last chance or I'm calling Dish to see what they have to offer.
    Just cut the cord. Nothing worth watching anyway.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Don't even have a smartphone so I'm not part of the palm-zombie apocalypse either. Lol!
    Good for you! Me neither. A colossal waste of money made even worse by a poor user interface.

Most everything we watch is on Hulu...... on it has On Demand.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,403 Senior Member
    Terminator, I've been on Dish Network for a long time. In the last 10 years my bill has gone up about  $30 dollars a month. I have the 250 channel package and NO premium packages. I do have my three local Chattanooga TV channels, ABC, NBC, CBS, and some other local channels on that package. Cost increase was minimal for those local channels. Direct TV seems to be a horror show, and your experience seems typical of what I hear by word of mouth. If you have to choose between the two, Dish Network seems to be the most stable and easy to deal with company.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    I have had both, and Directv has better programming, while Dish has better controls for the box.  Cutting the cord only works well if you have reliable unlimited Internet.  We live two miles south of the Broadcast towers in Portland ( I can see them from my window ), so we have "Hd Antennas"  on each TV and get everything broadcast for free, and Firesticks on each TV.  Our Firestick programming is Netflix, Prime, Directv Now! ( we ATT phones and get HBO free ), Hulu, and some others.  Directv Now! gets me CNBC programming.  We have it all covered, and have more content than we can watch.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    That's the problem where we live. No high speed unlimited internet. Live to far from a big city to pick anything reliable up over the airways. Stuck with using a dish.
    Or just forget about TV.
    The only reason we do any streaming is because my wife is a TV addict. I basically don't watch anymore.

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    I've had Dish for about 15 years now with their 250 station package plus local TV and no premium stations.  I got it for my wife, because I could care less about TV, and it's even worse now that there is seldom anything on I'd consider watching.  The rate for it has about doubled since I first signed up, and part of that cost is the HD receivers which run $5.00 each a month.  No DVR because that's another $5.00 each a month cost , and I have a VCR/DVD recorder, if needed, that can record the incoming signal as well as convert one format to the other.  I have no plans to ever get a BlueRay device because it's only another attempt at forced obsolescence.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    I cut the cord years ago.  I rotate between sling tv, and netflix.  YouTube is great also.  
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
    Just got off the phone with them. ATT could care less I'd been a customer for 19 years. Guy told me to go on to Dish they were not crediting anything. He really didn't care and that was the customer retention dept. Never was like this until ATT bought them.

jbp-ohio said:

Just like that.
    You can, *sometimes* get a better deal with AT&T if you walk into one of their local stores...

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,403 Senior Member
    Terminator, this is why you need one of these things when dealing on the phone with clowns like you've been dealing with.

Since a smartphone can be set to hands free speakerphone mode it would be easy to record both sides of the conversation, and let them know that you're recording for 'Quality Control purposes". If you get a load of meadow muffins from the representative, find out someone up the food chain and send them the audio file. Might not get you anywhere, but a rep might get 'the talk'.

Those USB stick voice recorders have a lot of other uses, too. Sayin'. >:):D

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:
    Terminator, this is why you need one of these things when dealing on the phone with clowns like you've been dealing with.

Since a smartphone can be set to hands free speakerphone mode it would be easy to record both sides of the conversation, and let them know that you're recording for 'Quality Control purposes". If you get a load of meadow muffins from the representative, find out someone up the food chain and send them the audio file. Might not get you anywhere, but a rep might get 'the talk'.

Those USB stick voice recorders have a lot of other uses, too. Sayin'. >:):D

Have you ever tried to tell them that for quality purposes you were recording the conversation. They will shut up, not say another word and hang up on you. :D
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,869 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:

Exactly. 

I’ve used Direct and Dish. No high speed internet here and no cable.  I had Dish for a long time. So long, my equipment was very outdated. This was when HD became common and my equipment was not HD. So I called and asked about upgrading my equipment. I even told them I’d sign up for a new 2 year agreement. Just get me the new equipment. They would not do it. So I told them to cancel my service and I’d call back later and start a new one. They said I’d have to wait 90 days. Because me not paying them for 3 months is better than giving me a new 2 year contract....

I set a reminder on my phone and went a while with only local TV, then called back. Apparently I was off by 1 day. They told me I would have to “call back tomorrow.”  That was enough for me. 😡 If you’re that stupid, you don’t get my money any more. So I went without satellite for a good while, then signed up for Direct. I like it. Been several years now. Once all the new customer deals ran out, I pay $136 per month and it hasn’t changed as long as I can remember. Not cheap. But it works and it’s a better channel lineup than Dish.