If this is true I hope you guys stay safe.................

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,731 Senior Member
edited February 20 in Hunting #1
'Zombie deer disease hits US and Canada'

The upside is that it combines 2 enjoyable activities I guess.........Hunting and a Zombie pockylips...

Guess we need to discuss effective deer zombie rifles and calibers...........
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,560 Senior Member

Chronic Wasting Disease, or CWD, has been a problem for a number of years, and in a number of states.  Some states require that any deer or elk taken from an area known to have CWD present have the animal checked out by the state.  Other states, such as North Dakota, do not allow transportation of whole deer across their state that were taken in Montana.

It's real.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,560 Senior Member
    I can't confirm this, but I have been told that because of infected animals' weakened condition, a .270 is adequate. 
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,061 Senior Member
    CWD has been around for decades...all it takes is someone calling it The " Zombie Disease" and all of a sudden it's news...

Michigan only allows boned meat to be transported into the state...DNR has been working the border and stopping vehicles transporting deer carcasses...If the deer comes from a " CWD state " they issue tickets, confiscate the deer and take them up to Lansing for testing and disposal...last I saw they have yet to confiscate a deer that tested positive for CWD...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,620 Senior Member
    I can't confirm this, but I have been told that because of infected animals' weakened condition, a .270 is adequate. 
    Yes. When you use the rifle itself as a blunt object and beat them to death. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,560 Senior Member
    Hopefully they don't team up with the Zombie Beavers. We'll be in real trouble them. Attacks from land and sea..........

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 141 Member
    Does this mean head shots only?
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,351 Senior Member
    An awful combination of blue tongue disease and EHD absolutely *crushed* Nebraska's deer herd about 6 years back.  About 40% of the herd was gone over that summer with countless deer carcasses showing up by creeks all over the state.  

As for CWD, I saw a rumor in an article that we are within a year of curing the bacteria -rather than the traditionally purported prion mutation - of curing CWD.  No clue if story holds any water, but here's one article covering the new bacteria theory and alleged cure on the horizon:

https://www.bowhunting.com/blog/2019/02/18/doctor-says-cure-for-cwd-has-been-found/
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,697 Senior Member
    My brother told me that it's been bad in Wisconsin for quite a while. He said several counties had extended seasons and unlimited tags in order to wipe out the herds in order to restock with disease free deer. Unfortunately none of the meat can be utilized.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,248 Senior Member
    edited February 23 #11
    orchidman said:

The upside is that it combines 2 enjoyable activities I guess.........Hunting and a Zombie pockylips...

timc has the perfect "deer Zombie pockylips" gun.  😁

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    orchidman said:

Aw Hell Dude! My ol" .270 will take care of all of 'em, Zomie or plane White Tail, it doesn't differentiate. It just knock's em dead!!! Bring 'em on!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 said:
    orchidman said:

Aw Hell Dude! My ol" .270 will take care of all of 'em, Zomie or plane White Tail, it doesn't differentiate. It just knock's em dead!!! Bring 'em on!!!
    Now as far as the disease itself goes we might need to talk! LOL!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited February 23 #14
    JerryBobCo said:p
    That's because it's so mighty and powerful it's not fair to a sick deer. Just the wind created by a passing bullet is enough to kill even healty animals.

(You believe that crap and I've got some land to sell you in the middle of Matagorda Bay, Cheap!)