8x57 Mauser - Any experience?

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,610 Senior Member
After getting and playing with my new 6.5z55 Swede, I’m kinda liking the old rifles. 

Thiought I might try the 7x57 Mauser, but as pointed out by CPJ, I’ve never really liked that niche (7mm-08/7x57). 

So, I’ve been looking at and thinking about getting an 8x57 Mauser. Kinda like the heavy round nose idea. But, having no experience with this cartridge or caliber, I look to you all for thoughts on the cartridge and maybe rifle suggestions. 

What say ye?
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,272 Senior Member
    I have a couple that are range toys. A 24/47 and a 98/22 both shoot decent but I've never used anything but surplus ammo. Not much help for your likely purposes I'm afraid.

Sako 
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,049 Senior Member
    I had one of the recent import Yugo Mauser but just couldn't warm up to it. It was a post war refurb, I believe, and it was just to "clunky". It shot well but it just didn't do anything for me. The only 8MM I still have is an 8X52R Siamese Mauser, plus a 1909 Argentine, and a small ring Mexican 7x57, a Brazilian '98 in 7x57, and the '96 Swede.  Try and find something pre-WWII if you can, when they still took time to build one. Some of those older ones are works of art for military rifles!!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,545 Senior Member

I bought as wwii era Turkish Mauser in 8x57.  Somebody in this forum (Dan Chamberlain ?) told me the heat treatment used for those particular rifles was lacking, and that the action would not handle high pressures.

I never fired it, and ended up trading it for some work done on my house.  That's everything I know about the 8x57.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,049 Senior Member
    The Turkish 98 is a large ring with a small barrel shank, like a 96. I used one to build my .284, but I milled the front ring down to small ring dimensions, then after all the metal work was done I had it re-heat treated. Probably one of the ugliest Mauser military rifles ever built!
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,330 Senior Member
    Almost all the rifles you'll find in that caliber are either Mauser '98 action surplus bolt action military rifles or assorted quality sporterized conversions of them; might find some commercial guns in that caliber but are relatively scarce and more expensive.

Some time ago there were many different sources of decent quality surplus ammo (Not a few of them corrosive primed BTW) at reasonable prices, but nowadays it seems like supply has reduced along with source quality & reliability (Many are decades old and starting to decay). Those military loads are punchy and loud, specially when fired from short rifles or carbines.

You also have many commercial sources of basically FMJ and SPRN loads that seem to be noticeable less powerful than the military ones, apparently to minimize potential damage to old and less strong actions or different bore sizes like in Mannlicher-style rifles (Gew 88s).
    In my little experience they're pretty much like the average .308 or 30-06 commercial loads, but still good enough to take down almost any game available in the continent. You can still reload fairly easily to fit your specific needs, pretty much matching the performance ranges of the most popular military cartridges of the era (7.7mms, 7.65, 30-06, 7.62x54R and such).

Cheapest surplus shooters you might find are all either Mauser '98s or its clones, like Yugo 24/47s, actual Russian-captured German K98ks or so; most have seen a few rebuilds that pretty much voided their collectible value and are usually decent shooters in military configuration. Might be worthwhile to "do the homework" and gather as much data as you can regarding the purchase of one of these guns, since you might get either a lemon or even find a GREAT offer while not knowing what you're looking at.

Regarding 7x57mm., it was (still is) a GREAT shooter....maybe the "sweet spot" between the "harder kickers" and the "small bores" (Like the 6.5s), flat shooting and usually with the best quality '98 actions available in the pre-war periods, like the Brazilian 1908s and Chilean 1912s among others.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,231 Senior Member
    I've got what I think is a pre-war 8x57.  Got a rib down the barrel, butter knife bolt handle, very nice work.  Looks like an old model commercial, got the lozenges on the stock below the action so the stock could be made lighter.  It's quite light.  And it kicks.  Could be an atypical bring back.

I've also owned a Husqvarna I got from Simpsons (they had at the time lots of Huskys) which was a good shooter at a very reasonable price...beech stock, checkered.  Drilled and tapped.  It was heavier and had less recoil.

The 8mm in Europe is what the 06 is in America.  Very common and very close to the 06 in performance.  I've had several military 8mms, which aren't interesting to me when you can get a quality bring-back.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    edited February 21 #8

With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    I have a few milsurps, and since you're talking about hunting, I have a 98 that I rebarreled with a Douglas barrel and mounted a Lyman aperture sight on the rear bridge of the receiver. My deer hunting is short range in the woods at around 70 yards max. The 8x57 does a really good job on deer and I use 180 grain RNSP bullets for loading for it. It's more accurate than I can shoot it, and I've never had to trail a deer more than about 100 yards when shot with that bullet. It wears a synthetic stock, and isn't much to look at, but I like it for what it can do.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 924 Senior Member

Shoots decent.  I have a couple others that are surplus, but have not taken them out yet.  Shame to admit, but I have neglected them so far.
    edited February 21 #11

My afore mentioned 8mm.  I think I paid less than $300 for it with the sight in place.  Very lightweight rifle, kicks.

With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,610 Senior Member
    Gene L said:

My afore mentioned 8mm.  I think I paid less than $300 for it with the sight in place.  Very lightweight rifle, kicks.

Want to sell it?

All 8mm.  The top one is in a crap Fajen stock that will eventually be replaced.  Middle was a gift and will be left alone, and the bottom will probably be left as is.  If they shoot even close to what my M96 does, I will be happy.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,683 Senior Member
    edited February 22 #14
    My k98 will do head shots very easily out to about 150 yards. I’m running Speer 200 grain bullets in it.

timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    timc said:
    My k98 will do head shots daily easily out to about 150 yards. I’m running Speer 200 grain bullets in it.

What scope is that on it timc?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Zee said:
    After getting and playing with my new 6.5z55 Swede, I’m kinda liking the old rifles. 

Thiought I might try the 7x57 Mauser, but as pointed out by CPJ, I’ve never really liked that niche (7mm-08/7x57). 

So, I’ve been looking at and thinking about getting an 8x57 Mauser. Kinda like the heavy round nose idea. But, having no experience with this cartridge or caliber, I look to you all for thoughts on the cartridge and maybe rifle suggestions. 

What say ye?
    I have 5 Mausers. One is some kind of 98, I suspect a K-98, but not sure. And I also have 4 Yugo 24/47s. The 98 and two of the Yugos are sporterized and I want to sporterize one more. They're the same thing as a 98 design wise but about 1/4 inch shorter. They're perfect for cartridges of 57 mm. So far with the two I sporterized I have made one into a .257 AI and one I left as an 8x57. I load the Sierra 175 grain flat base. I think it's about 2750-2800 FPS. It's pretty accurate and is hell on game. It's killed a few hogs and a deer. It works.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,683 Senior Member
    The tithe rifle is a reproduction sniper. The scope is a reproduction of a 4x sniper scope used in WWII with a quick detach mount. Very hard to adjust windage by the adjustment screw and lock but but once sighted in its locked solid. Elevation is by traditional turret knob. Very accurate rifle.

timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    mitdr774 said:

All 8mm.  The top one is in a crap Fajen stock that will eventually be replaced.  Middle was a gift and will be left alone, and the bottom will probably be left as is.  If they shoot even close to what my M96 does, I will be happy.
    That is quite a collection!
    timc said:
    My k98 will do head shots daily easily out to about 150 yards. I’m running Speer 200 grain bullets in it.

Looks like she works!
    I like Mauser rifles.  Some day I will do a range trip with then. 
    mitdr774 said:
    I like Mauser rifles.  Some day I will do a range trip with then. 
    You can’t possibly need all three of them. 

😁
    Top purchased as a donor action, middle was a gift, and bottom was purchased to be shot as is or be a donor action.  I just haven't taken them out to see how they shoot first.  
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,375 Senior Member
    Neat part about 8mm is you can cast a really decent gas check bullet for it, and loaded with 17 grains of 2400 you'll get about 1760 fps! It's not position sensitive. Your groups will be pretty much centered at 100 yards instead of high. And 175 grains of lead will easily kill deer and pigs at 100 yards with minimal recoil. Love cast lead and Milsurps... Did an article for Guns & Ammo several years ago for their Milsurp edition that garnered some positive responses. 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    Zee said:
    mitdr774 said:

Zee said:
    mitdr774 said:

Zee said:
    mitdr774 said:

mitdr774 said:

mitdr774 said:

Reinhardt Fajen made some great stocks back in the day. I think they're back in business under a new name or it's his off spring.
    mitdr774 said:

I have no desire to shoot that rifle with that stock.  Its uncomfortable for me to shoulder even.  Slim possibility I might try it with some mild loads just to see if the barrel is worth keeping or scraping.  It has a stamped trigger guard that will also be replaced.  
    That stock's beautiful. All it needs is a good soft pad.
    Its uncomfortable for me.  I also do not like that style stock at all.  Im sure that with a scope it would be less uncomfortable, but I dont feel like getting punched in the face by the stock every time i pull the trigger.
    Sell it!

😁
    The gun or the stock?  The action might be a donor for a project to work on with my dad.  Have not decided on a cartridge yet though.  I have several donor options, including a 700 currently in .30-06 that has a really long magazine and even the current chamber/throat allow for some really long overall lengths.
    edited February 23 #31
    I’m trying to Jedi Mind Trick you into selling me a gun. 

😁