8x57 Mauser - Any experience?

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,043 Senior Member
    Minimal.  Picked up a Yugo-remarked K98 some years back.  Have not bothered to load for it, as enough ammo to fuel the minimal shooting I do with it seems to float my way.  Shoots well enough.

The cartridge is an efficient package - surpassed by the '06 today but probably a bit ahead of it back in the era when the two squared off.  I like how the 98 and the 8x57 were engineered together as a feeding system, though I'm a little less crazy about the cartridge's short neck when it comes to room for the lube grooves on a cast bullet.  Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough for the right mold.  At any rate, the round seems a natural for a 200+ grain jacketed round nose. 

If I was hunting specifically for one, I'd look for a good bore on a Czech VZ-24 and would not pass up a clean FN.  German is in all likelihood too collectible - the pre-WWII ones are potentially works of art, but then again, they were potentially exposed to ALL of WWII.  NOTHING came out of Stalingrad or the fall of Berlin looking good, and the last-ditch stuff is to be avoided.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    Myself I don't mind a Monte Carlo design at all. I have a couple. My Model 70 is. The Monte Carlo design keeps my cheek on the weld and my eye's on target through the scope without raising my head up like a goose. It kicks but I believe because it's pretty light and my load is pretty close to max AND the recoil pad is 40 years old and hard as woodpecker lips as somebody here would say. It slaps me harder than my seventh grade football coach with his oak board on report card day. I need to put a new soft pad on it. That would at least eliminate most of the pain.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 924 Senior Member
    With as difficult as they are getting to find in decent enough condition and at a reasonable price, it might be difficult to get me to part with it.  It was purchased with no concern for the bore because I was looking for an action.  The action was decent enough for the price, but I cant get them for that price anymore.  Than you Gander Mountain for doing 50% off sale when liquidating.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,248 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    Myself I don't mind a Monte Carlo design at all. I have a couple. My Model 70 is. The Monte Carlo design keeps my cheek on the weld and my eye's on target through the scope without raising my head up like a goose. It kicks but I believe because it's pretty light and my load is pretty close to max AND the recoil pad is 40 years old and hard as woodpecker lips as somebody here would say. It slaps me harder than my seventh grade football coach with his oak board on report card day. I need to put a new soft pad on it. That would at least eliminate most of the pain.
    Like this?
    That Limbsaver Airtech is a huge improvement over the original hard plastic butt plate.  It does increase the length of pull though.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member

I bought 30 Turk Mausers in 8X57 back in the early 1990's when they were selling for $29.95 apiece for complete rifles.  I've got about half of them left.  They're the long-barreled type with straight bolt handles.  I've got 4 or 5 of the short-barreled Mausers of various manufacture left in the 8MM chambering, some original, some Bubba-sporterized.

Jerry

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    This and the 6.5 Swede thread has revitalized my Mauser interest a little. . .

Zee. . .something that just resurfaced from the murky depths of my brain:

Back when I was working in gun shops and Remington was still Remington, they would do the "Remington 700 Classic" in one caliber only per year.  One of those from the 1990's or early 2000's was in 8x57.

If you're more interested in the cartridge and a scoped sporting rifle than the military action, hunting one of those down might be a good choice for somebody who just might happen to have a few spare 700 parts lying around.
    WWJMBD?

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,620 Senior Member
    Not really looking for a modern rifle so chambered. But, not necessarily looking for an original milsurp. 

Kinda looking for something like Alec and Gene have. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    snake284 said:
    Like this?
    That Limbsaver Airtech is a huge improvement over the original hard plastic butt plate.  It does increase the length of pull though.

Yep, 10Canyon I do need to do that. As for length of pull, I put that recoil pad on about 40 years ago. It was my first attempt at a recoil pad. I cut the stock on a table saw a friend loaned me. Well, it took me a couple of attempts to get it right, so I've got a short LOP. The pad I put on it makes up for most of that though so the rifle fits me pretty good.

The pad is age hardened and only acts as an anti slip surface now. Recoil still stings pretty good. A limbsaver would really be the ticket. The pad that came on my Remington SPS .30-06 is what I really love. I load up a hot 200 grain bullet load with 56 Grains of IMR 4831 and it tames it down like a .308 with a 165 grain. I would much rather shoot it than my .270 on a bench. If the Limbsaver is as soft as that I want one.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited February 27 #40
    Zee, there is nothing wrong with a Yugo. They may not be as smooth as a K-98 or older 98, but they're strong and smooth enough. The only difference I can see between them and most of the other 98s is they're about 1/4" shorter, but longer than a SA 700. They're perfect for the 57 mm case.
    s
    Also, there's a lot made out about the Mauser not being as potentially accurate as some modern push feeds. This may be somewhat true, but there's some things you can do to make up for that. My gun smith puts in a stronger firing pin spring. Also I think he polishes the inside of the bolt and the firing pin. And he blue prints the action to get everything straight. I believe you could make a long range shooter out of one.

But if you want to shoot iron sights on it, then the Yugo is probably right up your ally. You can get one considerably cheaper than a 98 (unless you make a deal with Teach). You might want to put a Timney trigger on it, but that's not a major modification if you want to keep it original. Just hang on to the original trigger and you can put it back on if you ever wanted to sell it as an original.

Also, if you ever want to scope it without drilling and tapping, there was a guy on here you may remember that went by the name Pirate that had a lot of MilSurps he scoped without drilling. Only problem with that is on a Mauser you're going to have to bend the bolt and do away with the Mauser safety. Or do the scout thing.

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 924 Senior Member
    Many years ago while developing a load for my .35 whelen, built on a 1908 model Mauser, I could get 3 shot groups that were either all touching or with a very thin bit of paper between the holes at 100 yards.  I had been told by quite a few people that a Mauser was good for at absolute best 1.5" at 100 yards due to being a CRF action.  Then again, for a hunting rifle I can accept 1.5" at 100 yards if that is the best it will do.  I would prefer an inch or less, but given the ranges I shoot 1.5 is just fine.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,248 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Not really looking for a modern rifle so chambered. But, not necessarily looking for an original milsurp. 

Kinda looking for something like Alec and Gene have. 
    Look in small gunshops.  There are sometimes bring-backs of pretty good quality.  I don't think mine is a cigarette gun, I think it's circa 1912 or so.  The maker's name or possibly the city where it was built is engraved in small letters, too small for me to read since I don't have a big reading glass.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,248 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    Yep, 10Canyon I do need to do that. As for length of pull, I put that recoil pad on about 40 years ago. It was my first attempt at a recoil pad. I cut the stock on a table saw a friend loaned me. Well, it took me a couple of attempts to get it right, so I've got a short LOP. The pad I put on it makes up for most of that though so the rifle fits me pretty good.

The pad is age hardened and only acts as an anti slip surface now. Recoil still stings pretty good. A limbsaver would really be the ticket. The pad that came on my Remington SPS .30-06 is what I really love. I load up a hot 200 grain bullet load with 56 Grains of IMR 4831 and it tames it down like a .308 with a 165 grain. I would much rather shoot it than my .270 on a bench. If the Limbsaver is as soft as that I want one.
    The Limbsaver AirTech feels like gel (not sure about the Classic).  If you look at the pic of my rifle you can see 4 round discs in the recoil pad.  Those are soft rubber shock absorbers.  Limbsaver claims a 70% reduction in felt recoil......I don't know that it is quite that high, but it is significant.  The day I took the pics I ran through 50 rounds of .30-06 150 grain and 165 grain with no discomfort whatsoever.  If you have an Academy Sports near you, they should have the version that slips over the butt stock on the shelf that you can fondle.  I did that and determined that while I wanted the Limbsaver, I did not want the slip-on version.  I went to the Limbsaver website, downloaded their templates for custom fitted pads, found the one that fit my stock the best and ordered it from Brownells.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,330 Senior Member
    This is mine; needs a counterboring since former owner fired it without removing a greased rag plug that damaged the last inch of the barrel :s .
    Was tempted to replace it with another 8mm. or even a 7.62 NATO (ammo A LOT easier to find) tube while keeping the military profile, but it's a Vz-24 captured from the Ecuadorian troops during our 1941 war and since grandad fought in that conflict, it'd be wiser to keep it as original as possible while still being able to shoot it at least every once in a while.

Put on my eyes: the gun is marked Olinghausen, which is a city in Germany, probably where it was made.  It's marked on the other side, best I can tell, with Custtkucher, who may be the maker. 
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    LOTS of ways to venture down this rabbit hole for sure.  Even ready-to-rock actions.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/801234055
    WWJMBD?

I know Snake and many others have built on Mauser actions to good effect. 

Just not my plan for the 8mm Mauser. 

Its more about the original gun/cartridge combo than a bare action, Boyd’s Stock, and a Krieger Barrel would satisfy. 
    Yep.  Totally get it.  Probably worth fiddling around on GB with phrases like "Mauser Sporter", or  "Czech, Belgian, Venezuelan, Peruvian, Columbian, Brazilian, Argentine, Spanish, Turkish, Persian, etc..., Mauser", or "Mauser short rifle", or "Mauser carbine"just so you can start learning the family and get a feel for what floats your boat.  When you consider that there were more countries using Mausers or close clones than not, It's a DEEP well.  There's a ton of local flavor with regards to sights, sling swivels, cleaning rods, bent or straight bolts, etc..., that was added to the base action that can tickle or repel you just based on preferences

A lot of the South American stuff was made by CZ or FN.  Both those companies exported to darn near EVERYBODY, so there's a lot of rifles out there with third-world national crests that still have some really nice metal under the hood.  I picked up a Brazilian 08/34 .30 (.30-06) because I wanted a military pattern K98 (ish) short rifle, but without needing to add another caliber (I ended up with an 8mm anyway, but that's another tale).  Best I can reconstruct, it's a CZ M98 action that has every bit as tight a chamber as my Pre-64 model 70 - nothing to dislike about that at all!
    WWJMBD?

Well, I have a Yugo 24/47 on the hook. 

Just gotta get back from a work trip next month. 

Oh, and did I mention it’s attached to an Enfield #4 Mk 1 as well?

I love this forum. 
    Antonio said:
    This is mine;

That’s a beautiful rifle. Shame about the bore. 
    edited March 1 #51
    True commercial Mausers, (not converted military receivers) have a couple of identifying characteristics that those in the know look for- - - -A couple of things that will be missing are the semi-circular cutout in the left side of the receiver, and the stripper clip slot in the front of the rear bridge.  Since hunters rarely, if ever needed to fire volleys, a means of quick reloading was not really a concern.  The military proof marks (waffenampts) will also be missing.  There is a huge number of sporterized military, and extremely few real commercial rifles on the market, most of them at astronomical prices.   
    I’m not after a collector. Just a functional representative of the time that is both useful and practical as a hunter/range gun. 
    edited March 1 #53
    Commercial Mausers types also have loading data on the receiver. And bullet type.  Military guns didn't since they fired military bullets and didn't need a gunsmith to load for them.  Interpretation of the bullet type is simply a jacketed bullet as opposed to a lead bullet, I guess.  2.7 grams of flake powder, which is I guess all they had access to.  About 41 grains.

Mausers made by Mauser have the Mauser banner.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    edited March 1 #54

VZ-24's and Yugo 48's are still fairly affordable.  Most have bent bolt handles and 24" barrels, and the sights are fairly accurate at a 100 yard zero.  Early 29" barreled types usually shoot way high at 100 and hit close to point of aim at 300 yards.  Installing a taller front sight (available from Gun Parts Company) will make an early rifle hit close to POA at 100 without holding low.

Check this out:

https://www.classicfirearms.com/m-48-surplus-rifle-8mm-mauser-bolt-action/

Invest in a slip-on recoil pad- - - -that steel buttplate will get your attention!

I haven't bought anything from Classic since the ownership change a few years ago, but they used to be very good to do business with.  The prices have skyrocketed- - - -the Yugo 48 I bought from them about 6 years ago was under $200.00, and it was in extremely good condition.

The “Hand Select” are pretty nice looking rifles!

My C&R license got to be a ticket to the poorhouse- - - -I had to cut way back on impulse buying!

Zee said:
    Well, I have a Yugo 24/47 on the hook. 

Just gotta get back from a work trip next month. 

Oh, and did I mention it’s attached to an Enfield #4 Mk 1 as well?

I love this forum. 
    NICE!

When you get the itch to start playing with that one, fire off a flare.  .303's have been my latest tangent.  They can shoot pretty well, but compared to the Mauser 2-screw arrangement, the action and barrel bedding systems seem like the product of a mad genius with a lab full of test tubes, sparky things, and Abby Normal's brain.  Maybe not more variables to check and adjust, but certainly different ones.

Been doing most of my initial cast load development on the late '40's No.4 MKI due to the better sights.  Might start applying the lessons to the 1918/1953 factory rebuild  No 1 MKIII* today, weather permitting.  
    WWJMBD?

Be aware that the Enfield has four different lengths of bolt nose assemblies available to correct headspace problems.  Since the bolt locks into the rear of the receiver, the receiver has a tendency to stretch and make the headspace unsafe.  Be sure to do a little checking with Go/NOGO/FIELD gauges before shooting it.

Jerry

👍🏻
    And most replacement head sizes aren't available.  Mine as a  1 size head and I don't shoot heavy loads in it. 
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    Please tell me where I need to go to drink the kool aid that will help me like the Enfield?  Ugliest piece of wood and steel.....
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester: