Entering a new phase in hunting

timctimc Senior MemberPosts: 6,583 Senior Member
Growing up in the woods, hunting all my life has put hunting in my blood, deer camp has always been my most fond memories. My father and I hunted together until the year he passed away.

fortunately for my father he had a son that took him to the blind, made whatever adjustments Needed to get him out there, even through the last year when I carried his rifle and helped him get up the stairs to sit in his blind.

For me that was my duty as his son and I never minded doing what needed done but for me there is no son,  nobody to help me get out the and do all the things that need to be done. So as the years went by, I grew a little older and my arthritis grew worse I pretty much gave up hunting a couple years ago.

The problem Started when we ran out of deer meat and the wife and I both  love it.  

Yesterday I booked a meat hunt (with the wife’s blessings) on a hunting ranch NW of Austin for a Red Deer Hind. This is a safari style hunt which I think will be perfect for my old arthritic butt!

Nice to know there are still plenty of inexpensive hunting options even if your getting too old to do all the work.

this might be fun!
timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    Hey Bro, you're hitting home here. Next to my heart. I'm 71 this past January and I lost my lease this year. It hurts. I too love venison and hog meat. I'm going to make sausage this next week as soon as I get some good casings. I love this stuff. You and me need to live close together and do stuff like this. You and I are part of that culture. I too used to take the old man hunting. He had a Remington 700 BDL in 7 MM Remington Mag and he loved to shoot deer. The last deer he shot was a beautiful 8 point. I wish he was still here to shoot another one. Anyway, enjoy what you got left brother. I'm trying to do the same. The yougsters don't get it yet. But they will and then they'll go through what we are going through.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Glad you’re getting out and hunting. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,252 Senior Member
    Ive gotten where I like to have visits with the animals.

I never took any pictures of dead elk to brag on. I retrieved the carcasses without any help. I'm proud of that, but my favorite memories are of the visits. I can still do that without the killing part. Just have to be carefull to not get too close.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    Hey Bro, you're hitting home here. Next to my heart. I'm 71 this past January and I lost my lease this year. It hurts. I too love venison and hog meat. I'm going to make sausage this next week as soon as I get some good casings. I love this stuff. You and me need to live close together and do stuff like this. You and I are part of that culture. I too used to take the old man hunting. He had a Remington 700 BDL in 7 MM Remington Mag and he loved to shoot deer. The last deer he shot was a beautiful 8 point. I wish he was still here to shoot another one. Anyway, enjoy what you got left brother. I'm trying to do the same. The yougsters don't get it yet. But they will and then they'll go through what we are going through.
    Deer camp is what I missed the most of anything, just wasn’t the same after the old man passed. We are in the same state but a pretty fair shake of the legs apart! It would however be fun!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    Zee said:
    Glad you’re getting out and hunting. 
    Thanks and that the wife’s for it, priceless!

I never took any pictures of dead elk to brag on. I retrieved the carcasses without any help. I'm proud of that, but my favorite memories are of the visits. I can still do that without the killing part. Just have to be carefull to not get too close.
    I can do the looking in my backyard but I do miss the meat as well.
    these are our pets but the wife says they are just for looking at!

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,489 Senior Member
    Good to hear your still hunting, after i moved from Co. to Fl. I hunted a few years but I'm to old to be slogging around the swamps, tired of the skeaters and black flies, problem is I grew up in these swamps than moved north and west and it ruined me for hunting here. Hopefully next year I'll get a chance to hunt Co. one last time, hell I'm 81 and just once in a while I feel like a spring chicken.

Hope ya get yer deer.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,725 Senior Member
    Glad to hear you are getting out in the woods again, my dad and uncle make our camp what it is, it is going to be a big shift when us "kids" have to take over completely, you need to hook up with another hunting crew.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,225 Senior Member
    That is going to be a great time, Tim.  It's the really good thing about a lot of those ranches: they have a lot more flexibility to tailor the experience for folks of all ages and abilities.  Have a great time!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun said:
    That is going to be a great time, Tim.  It's the really good thing about a lot of those ranches: they have a lot more flexibility to tailor the experience for folks of all ages and abilities.  Have a great time!
    I’m really looking forward to it, getting the freezer restocked will be a plus. My wife’s cousin does a lot of outside sales for the ranch which is how I heard about this place, he is also a writer for Texas Fish & Game. He said he would meet me out there since it is close to his house, it will be nice to visit with him.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,480 Senior Member

I met a guy who sold red deer hind hunts, among other things.  He wanted $900 for a hind, and I decided that was just too much for a meat animal.  Prime beef is cheaper.

I had a similar experience with a bison "hunt".  I put hunt in quotes as it wasn't really a hunt.  By the time I drove about 200 miles, paid $800 to shoot a 2 1/2 year old cow and had it butchered, it was by no means cheap meat.  And, by the time we finished eating it, we were tired of it.

There are some places around San Angelo that offer a meat hunt for whitetail.  I think they charge $100 for a doe, and $150 for a spike.  That still makes for pricey eating, but it's venison.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy your time in the field, and end up with some great table fare.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    Like you, going out on my own was a challenge for a lot of reasons.  I joined a hunting and fishing group, and we do things together.  I am the youngest by 10 years, but we camp, drink, play poker, fish and hunt together.  The hunts are easy and the fishing is guided.  It's not like I am 25 anymore.  When we aren't playing, we raise money to send inner city kids to summer camp, and once a year we charter a party boat and take inner city kids ocean fishing.  It's not a a bad way to go  :) .
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    edited February 23 #14
    jaywapti said:
    Good to hear your still hunting, after i moved from Co. to Fl. I hunted a few years but I'm to old to be slogging around the swamps, tired of the skeaters and black flies, problem is I grew up in these swamps than moved north and west and it ruined me for hunting here. Hopefully next year I'll get a chance to hunt Co. one last time, hell I'm 81 and just once in a while I feel like a spring chicken.

Hope ya get yer deer.

JAY
    I’ve always wanted to go somewhere like Colorado for an elk hunt but too late for that. It does sound like fun.

I’m guaranteed a shot at what I’m after or no pay. They have a very high success rate. I’ve been on a hunt like this several years ago and it’s not too difficult at all. My hardest  decision is what rifle to use.

custom rifle in .308 built off a model 700 receiver with Leupold VX3LR 6.5-20x50mm

JP Sauer model 202 Forest chambered in .308 4.5-14x40mm VX3 Leupold.

CZ550 chambered in 6.5x55 with Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40mm

I met a guy who sold red deer hind hunts, among other things.  He wanted $900 for a hind, and I decided that was just too much for a meat animal.  Prime beef is cheaper.

I had a similar experience with a bison "hunt".  I put hunt in quotes as it wasn't really a hunt.  By the time I drove about 200 miles, paid $800 to shoot a 2 1/2 year old cow and had it butchered, it was by no means cheap meat.  And, by the time we finished eating it, we were tired of it.

There are some places around San Angelo that offer a meat hunt for whitetail.  I think they charge $100 for a doe, and $150 for a spike.  That still makes for pricey eating, but it's venison.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy your time in the field, and end up with some great table fare.

Their normal price is $850 but they are currently on sale for $550 so the price is right!
    BigDanS said:
    Like you, going out on my own was a challenge for a lot of reasons.  I joined a hunting and fishing group, and we do things together.  I am the youngest by 10 years, but we camp, drink, play poker, fish and hunt together.  The hunts are easy and the fishing is guided.  It's not like I am 25 anymore.  When we aren't playing, we raise money to send inner city kids to summer camp, and once a year we charter a party boat and take inner city kids ocean fishing.  It's not a a bad way to go  :) .
    Yes sir, comes a time when you just gotta admit I simply can’t do just anything anymore. I’m quite ok with it, all is just part of life. A lot of things that used to terrify me when I was young and thinking about growing old simply just don’t seem like such a big deal anymore. I’ve had one hell of a ride and hopefully the rest will be just as enjoyable just a little different approach at a much slower pace!
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    timc said:
     My hardest  decision is what rifle to use.

custom rifle in .308 built off a model 700 receiver with Leupold VX3LR 6.5-20x50mm

You forgot one.  Load that drum with slugs and pretend it's a rifle.  :D

timc said:

Wouldn’t be much meat left after that! LOL
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    timc said:

Wouldn’t be much meat left after that! LOL
    But don't try to tell me you are not tempted now that I gave you the idea  😁

jaywapti said:

Hope ya get yer deer.

JAY

Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited February 23 #21
    timc said:
    snake284 said:
    Hey Bro, you're hitting home here. Next to my heart. I'm 71 this past January and I lost my lease this year. It hurts. I too love venison and hog meat. I'm going to make sausage this next week as soon as I get some good casings. I love this stuff. You and me need to live close together and do stuff like this. You and I are part of that culture. I too used to take the old man hunting. He had a Remington 700 BDL in 7 MM Remington Mag and he loved to shoot deer. The last deer he shot was a beautiful 8 point. I wish he was still here to shoot another one. Anyway, enjoy what you got left brother. I'm trying to do the same. The yougsters don't get it yet. But they will and then they'll go through what we are going t can bhrough.
    Deer camp is what I missed the most of anything, just wasn’t the same after the old man passed. We are in the same state but a pretty fair shake of the legs apart! It would however be fun!
    Yeah, deer camp with my dad and brother in law and nephews was what I have some of the best memories of. It gave me a special warm feeling. The camaradery of family can be really special.

Talk about close! Man I have been like 4 foot from a big Bobcat that was standing in front of our blind. I thought he was going to jump in the front window. I could count his teeth. He sat there looking at me and the wife trying to figure out what we were. That was really special but I had my rifle at the ready just in case. Now that was special. We could smell him so I know he had to be able to smell us.

Tim, it seems like you got a really good deal on your red deer hunt.  I'm guessing a mature hind will go about 400 lbs. on the hoof, so you should get a lot of good meat.

As for elk hunting, I'm pretty much done with it, too.  I think I even ruined Mike on it. :)

Jerry

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,429 Senior Member
    Yes, Jerry, you did.

Because you pulled off a great shot so early in the morning (I saw a foot of muzzle flash from your rifle), and couldn't even see my boots when we finally got it all hauled down.....I decided I was too old for much except antegoats on the plains.

P'dogs.....if they ever come back......

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,662 Senior Member
    timc said:

<snip>

Not a hard choice at all mi amigo.
    That full stocked CZ, hands down.
    You're welcome :p
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

It is a tack driver, I’m just a little worried it might be kind of light for a 400 pound deer.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,662 Senior Member
    They use it for moose, a 400# deer shouldn't be a problem
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet said:
    They use it for moose, a 400# deer shouldn't be a problem
    Good to know, I’ve never got any blood on this one either, might be time to do that!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,725 Senior Member
    You make the gun choosing very difficult, I am down to the Sauer or the CZ. What will the longest potential shot be? What will your shooting position most likely be?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    edited February 24 #30
    CHIRO1989 said:
    You make the gun choosing very difficult, I am down to the Sauer or the CZ. What will the longest potential shot be? What will your shooting position most likely be?
    It is a safari style hunt, meaning from a vehicle to spot the stalk to get a shot, average shot is about 100 yards. Any of the three rifles I listed are “can’t miss” at that range. 
    The custom 700 has a super long 26” barrel so may not be the best suited for this style of hunting. The Sauer and the CZ are perfect in size. Tough decision, hmmm.

I've said it many times, and stand by it.  It's all about bullet placement and bullet.  As long as you use something reasonable, with a bullet suited for the game at hand, and put the bullet in a vital spot, the easy part of your hunt should be over.

I don't see any reason why your 6.5x55 would not do the trick.  Looking forward to your hunt report.

Jerry