Entering a new phase in hunting

2»

Replies

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member

I've said it many times, and stand by it.  It's all about bullet placement and bullet.  As long as you use something reasonable, with a bullet suited for the game at hand, and put the bullet in a vital spot, the easy part of your hunt should be over.

I don't see any reason why your 6.5x55 would not do the trick.  Looking forward to your hunt report.

Very true, bullet placement is what ultimately counts. I think besides practice, optics are the most important. 
    I have an insane amount of money in the Sauer. The custom 700 was pricey. The CZ I have more in the scope than I  paid for the rifle but it is just as accurate as the other two rifles. So a fancy high dollar rifle is not  needed for good shot placement. I’ll probably end up taking 2 of the three with me when I go and decide when I head to the field.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,599 Senior Member
    I have no moral objection to those types of hunts. Personally it would never get very high on my money priority list. But i would definitely do it if it were free.

My hunting career is all but over. I will probably go squirrel hunting a couple times a year, but that is really more a walk in the woods than hunting.

My brother seems to be winding down with the beagles so only a year or two left for rabbit hunting.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Squirrel just not the same as venison. It is definitely different from my previous 50+ years of hunting, it’s better than not hunting at all.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,778 Senior Member
    I vote for the Swede. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    I vote for the Swede. 
    Starting to lean hard that way myself.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,692 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:

My hunting career is all but over. I will probably go squirrel hunting a couple times a year, but that is really more a walk in the woods than hunting.

My brother seems to be winding down with the beagles so only a year or two left for rabbit hunting.
    Tim,

I'm gonna disagree. Squirrels are the only critter I've shot at in almost 25 years that still give me a case of buck fever. They make me stupid, and I readily admit it.

After most of a lifetime hunting them with a shotgun, I bought a Ruger 10/22T and topped it with a Leupold VXII 4-12X. (toss in a '70's era USMC shooting sling, and there ya go.) WHOLE new ball game.

Squirrels......as for memories, I'd trade almost every big game animal I've ever shot for one more really good weekend in decent squirrel woods.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    jbp-ohio said:

Tim,

I'm gonna disagree. Squirrels are the only critter I've shot at in almost 25 years that still give me a case of buck fever. They make me stupid, and I readily admit it.

After most of a lifetime hunting them with a shotgun, I bought a Ruger 10/22T and topped it with a Leupold VXII 4-12X. (toss in a '70's era USMC shooting sling, and there ya go.) WHOLE new ball game.

Squirrels......as for memories, I'd trade almost every big game animal I've ever shot for one more really good weekend in decent squirrel woods.

Mike
    I bust quite a few in my backyard every year. Any tree rat that creeps inside the fenced area gets a .22 caliber lead pill. I’m running a Ruger 1022 with a BX trigger, Boyd’s thumbhole stock, ER Shaw .920 barrel with a Silencerco Sparrow II suppressor and topped with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x32mm. As long as they stay on their side of the fence we get along ok.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,737 Senior Member
    edited February 26 #39
    The Swede is more than adequate for Reds. Hundreds of Kiwi hunters use them over here with success.

OJR should be along shortly to confirm this......... :)

BTW, I love that CZ. It would be a crime not to use it....
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman said:
    The Swede is more than adequate for Reds. Hundreds of Kiwi hunters use them over here with success.

OJR should be along shortly to confirm this......... :)

BTW, I love that CZ. It would be a crime not to use it....
    Thanks Alec with all the votes for it I’ll probably have to go with the herd. The CZ is really a sweet shooting rifle, very easy handling and theset trigger is awesome.
    Less than two weeks, looking like the weather is going to be fantastic, a nice cool lull with lots of sunshine between rains. Getting pumped!
    rifles cleaned, will hit the range to check sights firing a couple fouling rounds then a 7 day wait.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,018 Senior Member
    Nice choice <3
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.