Home Main Category General Firearms

Fave caliber

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,744 Senior Member
In other words, in what caliber do you own the most rifles? Excluding .22 Rimfires.  Surprisingly, mine is the .22 Hornet.  It was my first rifle, a Stevens or Savage cheap-o, and I have maybe four Hornet rifles now...sold my CZ Brno and wish I hadn't.  My other rifles show more models.....223, .308, 06,  etc.  So, how about yours? 
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    30cal .308
    50cal .512
    7.62×39mm

I dont have any 22 center fires any more. I've been wanting a .32cal but reluctance pervades.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,678 Senior Member
    Well shucks, you guys have me outclassed. I only have 2 rifles total - a .303 Brit and a .30-06. I'll be reading this with interest...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,899 Senior Member
    45-70, hands down my favorite. The only rifle caliber that I have multiple rifles for.

Sako

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,647 Senior Member
    If we are going by volume, then it is 5.56/.223 and 7.62X39
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    .223/5.56
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,094 Senior Member
    It's a tie between .223/5.56 and the 45/70.  Of the two, the 45/70s get shot the most.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,040 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #8
    I have more rifles in .224 caliber than any other. All but one of those being chambered in .223 Rem/.556 NATO. 

After that, .30cal is second. Most of those being .308 Winchester with a few .30-06 Spr and a .300 RUM accompanying. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,717 Senior Member
    1 in .30-06
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,248 Senior Member
    Outside of .22 LR it would be .224 with .243 behind that.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,744 Senior Member
    I should have said "most same cartridge rifles you own."  Not caliber.  Sorry about that.  .224 caliber is everything from a Hornet to a .220 Swift.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Well that would be the .223/5.56
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,958 Senior Member
    I can't say I have a favorite.  It all depends on expected use.  But, by your criteria, Gene, it would be 30 caliber, even though I have only hunted briefly with one of those rifles and none of the others.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,697 Senior Member
    7.65x53mm, .308. .357Magnum and 9mm.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    For me it's .223/5.56 and then .308 Win. The others are just assorted rifles picked up by chance opportunities.

Btw, .223/5.56 is not a fav but it is the one I have the most of :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,311 Senior Member
    7mm. 2- RMs and 1-7mm-08
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,960 Senior Member
    .358 Win, 30-06, .270 where I'm hunting determines which one I'll use.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    .45-70
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    I dont own "the most same caliber rifles" in my favorite cartridge.  My favorite cartridge is 6.5x55.  That might be followed by my .458x1.8.  The .458 may just be a passing fling for me though as I havent spent enough time with it yet.  I can load it up to full house .45/70 or .450 Marlin velocities with 325gr bullets or I can throw a heavy cast lead at subsonic velocities.  Not going to lie, the first time I fired the cast lead I started to giggle a little.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,400 Senior Member
    .38-55. I have 4 rifles in that chambering and love 'em all. They can be downloaded for fun plinking or loaded to max for hunting. And all 4 rifles have cut rifling barrels so they shoot cast and jacketed bullets equally well. Cheap to shoot, and cases last seemingly forever when reloading.
    Second favorite would be 8x57 Mauser round. And for the same reasons as above.
    And with powder coated hard cast gas checked bullets you can exceed the velocity of normal cast bullets with easily with no leading or stripping in the rifling problems.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    My favorite cartridge is dependent on what I'm hunting.

For deer, hands down .270 Winchester. There's others I've used but I've had the best luck with a .270 with a 130 game Game King or a 150 grain Remington Core Lokt. It works.

For hogs, I've killed more with the .270 but I also like the 8x57. My 8x57 has killed several hogs. It puts them down fast. It's hard to say which is my favorite hog rifle because I have some I know will do the job well, such as the 9.3x62 but I've yet to meet up with Porky when it was in my possession.

The .270 is my favorite for deer but I also have 3 7mms, a 7x57 Mauser, a .280 Remington, and as mentioned below, a 7mm Rem. Mag. and I don't think there's much difference in them and the .270. However, the .270 is a proven product and also it s a sentimental choice so it goes hunting more often.

I've yet to go elk hunting but if i ever do, I have elk medicine in the form of a 7mm Remington Mag. and a .300 Weatherby Mag. I know either one will work well. I just don't know which one I'd prefer until I use them on it. ;

For all else I shoot several rifles. I like both .244 diameter and .257 diameter. I have one .243 Win. and I have a .250 Savage and a .257 AI. They both get used for deer and hogs buyt

I have two .22 CFs, a .22-250 and a .223. But I don't hunt much with them. However, with the right bullet I wouldn't be afraid to use them on a deer or hog.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Well, the only rifle caliber I have more than one of in my house is .22LR, but since that doesn't count......
    Favorite rifle caliber that I currently own is .30-06
    Favorite rifle caliber that I don't currently own but is on my wish list is .45-70
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    There's a lot to like about the  .45-70...just plain fun to shoot...I have four of them

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,932 Senior Member
    I like lever guns, 30-30 or .30WCF  

Have several on .223/5.56 in gas and bolt guns
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,734 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #25
    Easily 9mm for me, followed by .224
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    Mine would have to be the .22LR. Got several different rifles in that caliber. After that I only have one rifle each in many calibers.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,051 Senior Member
    .223's are what I own the most of, but they are pdog guns, Not much there. Not my fav.

My favorite.....if I was suddenly cut down to 1? 6mm Rem, given access to reloading.

If not....243 Win.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    .30-06. . .eight of them. . .at least. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    .223's are what I own the most of, but they are pdog guns, Not much there. Not my fav.

My favorite.....if I was suddenly cut down to 1? 6mm Rem, given access to reloading.

If not....243 Win.

Mike
    The more I hunt and shoot, the more true this becomes.  You can do a LOT with a .243 Win, and it's an easy round to tune for accuracy.  You saw first hand what it will do to a coyote and you know quite well what that round (or the 6mm Rem, for that matter) will do to medium game critters.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,040 Senior Member
    6mm is definitely high on my list of favorites. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 314 Member
    Mine has become the 7.62x39-in my mini 30 tactical. great all round shorter range gun, truck gun/ hog gun/ less than 175 yds deer gun/ shooting yotes or gators gun- the combination rifle/cartridge is what makes it my favorite. I also live in short range territory