Anyone have any run- ins with poachers?

1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior MemberPosts: 1,611 Senior Member
I haven’t seen any discussion on poachers for awhile, I was wondering if anyone had any problems with poachers in the past.  
  My own worst event occurred during bow season while I was watching a really nice buck feed on alfalfa in front of me at twilight. I had pretty much given up on him coming close enough for me to try him and was just trying to be quiet and not run him off.

On the neighbors side of the field a strange pick up came across the creek and drove up the field below me about 400 yards away and a guy hopped out and started shooting at the buck, which was between us around 80 yards from me. I scooted down the ladder of the tree stand and yelled some very unkind phrases about their parentage , after three or four shots they drove off. 
  I called the Sheriff’s department and they sent a deputy after about an hour later, I don’t think they were ever caught, anyone have other run ins ?

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,341 Senior Member
    edited February 24 #2
    The fly in the ointment with the Missouri farm that I just bought is that the one of the neighbors and the game warden have told me of a town resident very nearby who is a known poacher and “I do what I want” type who trespasses all over the properties in our area.  Worse, he actually has permission to hunt the land south of mine, giving him an easy lanuchpad into my place when I’m not around.  Apparently, he also just retired and has all the time in the world now to do it.  I figure it’s only a matter of “when,” not “if”, we’re going to have a run-in.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,589 Senior Member
    I had a guy and his wife camp near by one season. He braced a guy on an atv about the road being closed to those vehicles. (It was indeed posted as such by the Forest Service.) Turns out the guy on the atv was a game warden. The game warden in turn conducted some surveillance and caught that guy and his wife attempting to bait elk with a salt lick. It was so contentious the regs of the following year contained a change with regards to baiting.

Many years ago in Michigan, I had a freind that had an older brother that was married with small children. His employment was seasonal and his financial situation was periodically compromised. He occasionally poached deer for food. I don't condone or advocate that, but submit it here as potentially relevant when considering the subject.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,909 Senior Member
    A lot of deer gets eaten in MN without a tag, I don't condone it, but if they are not shooting for nice racks, we have not rocked the boat, rocking the boat may cause a fire on our property, but that is our situation.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,517 Senior Member
    This is more about outright theft and trespassing than poaching, in the 80s we were hunting Hardscrable Mt. in Co. since we had hunted and fished there for years we knew most of the game wardens, early one evening 2 wardens came into our camp and asked if we would go with them to check on a stolen elk, with them were a father and his son about 16 years old, seems the kid shot a bull dressed it out and went to get his dad, as they started back they saw 5 or 6 guys dragging the elk down to there camp, the GW had called for back up, the guys said the kid was lying and the GW opened the elks mouth and asked where is the tongue, when the kid took it out of his pocket, that whole group was arrested on the spot, seems dad told the kid if you have to leave your game cut the tongue out.

The only other time I had permission to hunt on 80 acres of private posted land outside of Weyerhaeuser Wi., 3 trucks parked on the road and 6 or 8 hunters walked in, I told them they were trespassing and they said that old man so and so gave them permission, I said thats funny since he died 6 years ago, I got all there license plate numbers told the owner who called the GW and we testified in court 2 months later.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,611 Senior Member
    On a turkey hunt a truck pulled up and a guy “stalked” my hen decoy. When he got to about hundred yards out I finally stood up and waved him off the alfalfa field we had been sitting on. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,047 Senior Member
    When I was working on the local PD in Kansas, we backed up the local GW on some guys who were jacklighting deer...they said they "needed the meat"...." Had kids to feed"....
    It seems that they drove over from Lawrence KS in a $70K pickup towing a trailer with $20K worth of ATVs, shot tsveral deer with a $2K rifle...

Worse was a local dirtbags who went on a killing spree...driving around the county shooting deer and leaving them to root...

Jeff's story is very typical of the opening days of rifle season in KS...guys from " the city" driving around and shooting from the road with no regard for who was on the other side of the deer...got to the point that we would forego hunting opening weekend and wait til the morons had to go home....This was also the primary reason that local ranchers and farmers refused to give permission to drive up hunters...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,545 Senior Member
    edited February 24 #8
    Don't feel like typing out several long stories, but let me say that the Amish are THE worst trespassing son of goat fornicating............

The last year I went turkey hunting, every time I had a bird gobbling they would come running in from their vans parked on the road. They sounded like a Panzer going thru a French hedge row and scared off any birds in a mile radius... I could tell a dozen more examples
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    Opening weekend pheasant season, we were walking out a field and heard a shot out ahead of us. As we got closer a white Chevy Blazer took off down the road. They had wounded a doe, shot her in the neck. Got a Deputy to come out, no chance of catching them. He did give us a road kill tag for the doe. We gave the meat to the farmer who let us hunt his place. 

The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,611 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    When I was working on the local PD in Kansas, we backed up the local GW on some guys who were jacklighting deer...they said they "needed the meat"...." Had kids to feed"....
    It seems that they drove over from Lawrence KS in a $70K pickup towing a trailer with $20K worth of ATVs, shot tsveral deer with a $2K rifle...

Worse was a local dirtbags who went on a killing spree...driving around the county shooting deer and leaving them to root...

Jeff's story is very typical of the opening days of rifle season in KS...guys from " the city" driving around and shooting from the road with no regard for who was on the other side of the deer...got to the point that we would forego hunting opening weekend and wait til the morons had to go home....This was also the primary reason that local ranchers and farmers refused to give permission to drive up hunters...
    Rifle season was long closed when those jugheads were shooting at the deer in front of me. Also they were back from the county road almost a mile.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,714 Senior Member
    A few years ago, we had a small flock of bourbon red turkeys that free range. The property borders a county road and the turkeys were doing turkey stuff near the road, but on the property. I was mowing and my wife heard some 22 rounds near the house. She went to see what the shooting was about and saw some jackass throwing a turkey into his truck. The truck was an early 60's green Chevy stake bed loaded with firewood. The same truck is always around the local gas station with a "firewood for sale" sign posted on it. She calls the sheriffs and the guys are caught with the bird. Turns out they were cutting wood in the Nat'l forest without a permit. One was a parolee, and both were felons in possession of a 22 rifle. They went to prison for shooting a damn $20 domestic turkey. 
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
    CaliFFL said:
    ...They went to prison for shooting a damn $20 domestic turkey. 
    Comes with the package regarding the level of idiots most of these folks are.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,909 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:
    A few years ago, we had a small flock of bourbon red turkeys that free range. The property borders a county road and the turkeys were doing turkey stuff near the road, but on the property. I was mowing and my wife heard some 22 rounds near the house. She went to see what the shooting was about and saw some jackass throwing a turkey into his truck. The truck was an early 60's green Chevy stake bed loaded with firewood. The same truck is always around the local gas station with a "firewood for sale" sign posted on it. She calls the sheriffs and the guys are caught with the bird. Turns out they were cutting wood in the Nat'l forest without a permit. One was a parolee, and both were felons in possession of a 22 rifle. They went to prison for shooting a damn $20 domestic turkey. 
    Make sure the cops don't throw you guys under the bus and let them know who called it in.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,539 Senior Member

I've probably come into contact with poachers and just didn't know it.  But, there is one incident I do recall.

Years ago I was deer hunting in the Angelina National Forest in east Texas.   I think I was hunting in Houston county, which does not allow one to hunt with dogs.  While still hunting, I saw a dog run past me with its nose to the ground, and shortly after that a guy running along behind it with a shotgun.  He didn't have time to stop and say hello.

He was definitely breaking the law, so I guess that qualifies as poaching.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,714 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    CaliFFL said:
    Make sure the cops don't throw you guys under the bus and let them know who called it in.
    We had that discussion when it happened. The cops never contacted us. We read about the arrest in the local paper. It was four-five years ago. Not too worried about it now. 
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,650 Senior Member
    I got myself and four others 'kicked off' of the best deer lease I have ever had, for 'hemming up'  a poacher...who turned out to be the caretaker's teen-aged son. He was dumping mags from an M-1 Carbine into bunches of deer, from one of my friend's elevated blind. I had him staked out, so that he couldn't leave, until his father rescued him, making lame excuses and accusing me of leaving a gate open and littering. Appeals to the actual landowner, by mail, email and unanswered phone messages, landed on deaf ears. Conversations with the local game warden were met with bureaucratic excuses, and only resulted in our own vehicles being checked, daily, at the entrance gate. We didn't give in, and managed to hunt the place for the rest of the season, following the rules precisely (we always did, anyway). We had voluntarily made improvements on every situation we were involved with (fixing fences, gates, cleaning up, and marking new trails in the more remote areas), but were not allowed to renew for the next year, because we could not deal directly with the landowner. The friend who got us on the lease was kicked, too, after spending years improving the lease, because he staunchly vouched for my integrity. Very disappointing, especially to my young grandsons, who are nearly grown-ups, now, and still wonder at why we were kicked. Had I turned a blind eye, we likely would still be hunting there, but my grandsons would have learned a very bad lesson from it.

I had a couple of other experiences, at another place, that were temporarily resolved by my catching the violators on camera and turning it in to the local game warden. But the situation was deteriorating again, by the time I left the lease. I concluded that the only way I could handle poachers would be through physical violence, which was not 'the hill I wanted to die on.' Sadly, I have run into problems of some sort with illegal hunters, with any place where the deer hunting is good.

Like any other criminal, a serious poacher can successfully circumvent the laws, if he has the nerve to escalate tense situations. Law-abiding people mostly won't 'go to guns' for anything but threats to their life, and petty criminals tend to exploit that. Also, most law-abiding citizens have jobs and separate 'home' lives, that they spend the majority of their time taking care of. It takes time and effort to catch bad guys, and most folks just can't or won't do it.

Game wardens are spread thin, so that they have to apply 'one-size-fits-all' solutions to cases that need detailed investigation to solve. Many tend to be ticket-punchers that just do the easy stuff, which often just ends up being harassment of legal hunters.
    Speaking of game wardens and poachers, I should give big credit to my Holt County, MO game warden.  A couple of weeks ago, I sent him on what ended up being a wild good chase on my land when a couple of blurred images came to my cell phone of what appeared to be a person opening my cellular trail camera access door, presumably taking the memory card.  

Using OnX hunt software, which we both have, I sent him the trail camera location while I sat 2,200+ miles away at my current deployed location.  He walked about a mile into my place, in frigid weather, up my snow-covered hill, to find the camera.  There was fresh snow on the ground from a few days prior, none of which had any other human prints in it.  Best he could tell, the blurred photos were a curious deer (possibly a buck trying to ditch his antlers) or other capable animal somehow opening the trail camera door.  

After investigating the area to make absolutely certain there was no human activity around, he reset the camera and ensured it had a good signal.  He then closed the access door and used a wire to secure it shut until I can get back.  I thanked him for going through all of that trouble seemingly for nothing.  He's got a bottle of 8-year aged rum coming his way when I return home.  I have a strong feeling that he's going to be a big help when someone actually makes the mistake of hunting my land illegally.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,650 Senior Member
    That's a good relationship to have, Colonel. The one good lease I was on that poachers weren't a problem had a game warden hunting it, along with the rest of us. He made it a point to be seen sneaking around at odd times, and slow-driving the field roads. The word got out pretty quickly.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,407 Senior Member

In the late 1980's our neighborhood had a huge poaching problem, and there were several people involved, not just one of two rogue hunters.  A lot of the illegal activity involved road hunting, trespassing, baiting, and even running deer with dogs, which is illegal in Tennessee.  Just across the state line in Alabama, dog hunting is (or at least was) "fair chase".  The situation got so bad that I made a bunch of waves with the local possum police, and they put their decoy deer "Timex" (Takes a lickin ' and keeps on tickin') in the edge of my woods.  Unfortunately, they hid it so well that nobody took a shot at it over a whole weekend.  The poaching continued.

At the end of the season, which was a pretty lousy one,  we discovered why the enforcement had been so lackluster- - - - -the cops had an undercover agent that had infiltrated the group, and 13 people were arrested, tried, fined, and a few even did jail time.  Most of them were from Alabama.  Those 13 people had taken over 100 illegal deer, some which had even been sold as "pork" BBQ by a local smokehouse.  The owner of that business, who was one of the ringleaders of the crew, lost a nearly new pickup and several guns, paid a $3000.00 fine, and lost his Tennessee hunting priveleges for life.  One of the crew of scumbags was even selling hunting "leases" of property he didn't own!  He got caught up in the sting operation as well, and paid a pretty hefty penalty.  Things around here have been pretty quiet for some time, now!

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    bisley said:
    That's a good relationship to have, Colonel. The one good lease I was on that poachers weren't a problem had a game warden hunting it, along with the rest of us. He made it a point to be seen sneaking around at odd times, and slow-driving the field roads. The word got out pretty quickly.
    That’s a great thing to have going on around a lease.  It’s amazing how much effort poachers put into scouting out the law instead of just legally hunting.  Seems that most of them know what’s good for them when the threat is that close to home.
    Teach said:

In the late 1980's our neighborhood had a huge poaching problem, and there were several people involved, not just one of two rogue hunters.  A lot of the illegal activity involved road hunting, trespassing, baiting, and even running deer with dogs, which is illegal in Tennessee.  Just across the state line in Alabama, dog hunting is (or at least was) "fair chase".  The situation got so bad that I made a bunch of waves with the local possum police, and they put their decoy deer "Timex" (Takes a lickin ' and keeps on tickin') in the edge of my woods.  Unfortunately, they hid it so well that nobody took a shot at it over a whole weekend.  The poaching continued.

At the end of the season, which was a pretty lousy one,  we discovered why the enforcement had been so lackluster- - - - -the cops had an undercover agent that had infiltrated the group, and 13 people were arrested, tried, fined, and a few even did jail time.  Most of them were from Alabama.  Those 13 people had taken over 100 illegal deer, some which had even been sold as "pork" BBQ by a local smokehouse.  The owner of that business, who was one of the ringleaders of the crew, lost a nearly new pickup and several guns, paid a $3000.00 fine, and lost his Tennessee hunting priveleges for life.  One of the crew of scumbags was even selling hunting "leases" of property he didn't own!  He got caught up in the sting operation as well, and paid a pretty hefty penalty.  Things around here have been pretty quiet for some time, now!

I remember you mentioning that poaching ring but I didn’t realize it had such a quality resolution!  That is so great that the warden infiltrated the the group and got sufficient evidence for that many convictions.  If there was ever a time when short term game losses were worth it in the long run, this sounds like it!
    The problem with owning land in Ohio is that even IF you can get a LEO out to catch a trespasser. It is only a $75 fine.......... big deterrent there.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio said:
    The problem with owning land in Ohio is that even IF you can get a LEO out to catch a trespasser. It is only a $75 fine.......... big deterrent there.
    I’m actually shocked it’s that low.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t the fines get a lot higher if an actual poaching violation occurs in the course of trespassing?
    Six-Gun said:
    jbp-ohio said:
    I’m actually shocked it’s that low.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t the fines get a lot higher if an actual poaching violation occurs in the course of trespassing?
    Yes. However shooting a deer on someone elses land isn't poaching.Just out of season, at night, wrong rifle, etc............
    jbp-ohio said:
    Six-Gun said:
    jbp-ohio said:
    Yes. However shooting a deer on someone elses land isn't poaching.Just out of season, at night, wrong rifle, etc............
    Wow.  That’s brutal.

There's a dirt road that borders my property line, at the top of the hill we use for a backstop for the SE shoot.  Some high school kids liked to use it for spotlighting deer, shortly after we bought the place.  I had a pretty good idea who was shooting, and I knew they liked to hang out at a nearby country store.  I dropped in one day and spent some time talking to the wheelchair-bound guy who owned the store.  I told him the deer on  my farm were taking small arms training- - - -and the next time somebody shined a spotlight at them they were going to shoot back. 

Funny thing- - - - -the road hunting stopped immediately!  

Teach said:

There's a dirt road that borders my property line, at the top of the hill we use for a backstop for the SE shoot.  Some high school kids liked to use it for spotlighting deer, shortly after we bought the place.  I had a pretty good idea who was shooting, and I knew they liked to hang out at a nearby country store.  I dropped in one day and spent some time talking to the wheelchair-bound guy who owned the store.  I told him the deer on  my farm were taking small arms training- - - -and the next time somebody shined a spotlight at them they were going to shoot back. 

Funny thing- - - - -the road hunting stopped immediately!  

Lemme guess...things went dark on that hill pretty quickly.
    edited March 5 #28
    "Blacker than the inside of a cow!"- - - -as one of my redneck neighbors used to say!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,551 Senior Member
    "Darker than the inside of a black Labrador".
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,047 Senior Member
    I had one guy try and kick me off my own land, up in Wisconsin!! Sheriff took care of the problem for me!! 
    Had a framer friend who had a FIB who constantly trespassed and was arrogant enough to park right in front of the posted sign!! After several warnings he corrected the problem by unloading the contents of his manure spreader on the offenders pickup!!

FIB- F'n Illinois B-****  :)
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    edited March 5 #31
    I knew a game warden who used to give talks to my hunter ed classes for me who told me a funny story about when he was hunting on his FIL's place one year. His father in law let him and his brother in law off at a couple of blinds close together and went off to his own hunting area. My GW friend was sitting in his blind when he saw a strange vehicle go by down the road. Later after legal shooting time was done he got down and met up with his BIL and they were walking up the road when the strange car came by and ask them if they needed a ride. So they got in the car. The game warden being in civilian clothes didn't say anything and decided to play the situation out. Anyhow, they go down the road a couple hundred yards and another guy's waiting by the road. When they started out the other guy ask the driver, "You seen any Game Wardens?" He says "No" and then asked Joe (Game Warden), "Y'all seen any game wardens?" My friend pulled out his badge and says, "Feller, the onliest game warden I've seen all day is sitting in your back seat."

He said the guy pissed down both legs. He told him to take him to his father in laws cabin. His father in law had killed a doe and was late coming to pick them up. They didn't have a phone to call a local GW (This was many years before cell phones and Joe being off duty didn't have access to a radio) so he told the guy he was punished enough (pissed himself) and to get the hell off the place and if he ever saw him there again he was arresting him and having him prosecuted to the fullest.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.