I'm done...

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 19,551 Senior Member
My LaserMax "gripsense" sight was replaced once under warranty because it suddenly decided to eat batteries. Now the replacement has just up and died - won't work at all. I first thought it was the batteries, but replacing same didn't change a darn thing.
I'm done - this thing's going in the trash - I've learned my (expensive) lesson that I should have known anyway...
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 2,163 Senior Member
    I read some of the reviews on Amazon and a few people had the exact same problem. Seems to me that QC is a bit spotty.

Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,589 Senior Member
    Bummer.
    Im reluctant to trust such aids even though they've become mainstream and been proven reliable in harsh military environments. Browsing online products reveals tremendous price discrepancy. Im guessing the good stuff costs alot more that the bargain shelf items.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,551 Senior Member
    I should have know better than to trust "technology" in a mission critical role. Fooled me twice (or more), my fault.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,966 Senior Member
    :#
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    zorba said:
    I should have know better than to trust "technology" in a mission critical role. Fooled me twice (or more), my fault.
    Technology works for other people but it's out to get YOU!
    :D
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,657 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    There is good technology and bad technology.  You chose a bad one. Looking at the reviews 
    20% were really bad. 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    edited February 25 #8
    Yep, "I chose poorly". Lesson learned.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,341 Senior Member
    I can tell you from experience that while the LaserMax product might suck, the Crimson Trace laser grips on my S&W 638 have been flawless for many years now.  I rarely use them, as they are only really perceived as a backup in case I can't see the sights at night or have one arm/hand disabled in a conflict, but every time I press the mid-grip finger trigger to test them out, they come on.  Still on the original set of batteries from years back, which I should probably change just because.

Try out a set of CTs and train with them occasionally.  I can all but guarantee you'll have a better experience.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    "Next time" I'll look at CT. I thought about sending the LMs back yet again, but I'd never feel like I could trust them. This isn't complicated technology, how do you screw this up?
    As for this gun, I think I'm gonna throw a set of TruGlos on it. I have a set on my CZ-75BD, and *REALLY* like them.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,407 Senior Member
    Got a cat?  You can have hours of fun making it chase that little laser dot!
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Teach said:
    Got a cat?  You can have hours of fun making it chase that little laser dot!
    The problem is that that little laser dot don't work no more...

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,224 Senior Member
    My cat loves my laser pointer.  He chases it all around.  Cheap fun at home.  As for lasers on guns, I've always felt better to spend the money on ammunition and practice.  On a pocket gun, I just don't see it.  Having said that, they do attract a lot of shooters.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member

Sounds like the main disable switch is bad or turned off. If unit disassembles, shouldn't be hard to fix.

You still have my number?

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
    All soft switches, plus the laser does come on - just at indicator light brightness. Its definitely broken.

Get yourself a laser that works and then use the cat as a training aid.
    By aiming for the tip of its tail. The cat will be in perpetual motion so keeping the dot on its tail will be a challenge.
    The cat can help you with your muscle memory and keep your skills up to snuff when you can't get out to the range.
    ;)
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,037 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    The trick is to bang the rocks together.  It's the STICKS that you rub.  Getting those actions mixed up leads to no end of frustration.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,413 Senior Member
    Buy once, cry once. When you buy higher end items such as Crimson Trace, Aimpoint, etc, you are buying their QC and R&D just as much as the actual product. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,451 Senior Member
    Buy once, cry once. When you buy higher end items such as Crimson Trace, Aimpoint, etc, you are buying their QC and R&D just as much as the actual product. 
    Yep.  You only regret the high price once... you often regret paying a bargain price multiple times. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    It wasn't that it was a "bargain" price - it wasn't. It was their "grip sense technology" that drew me in.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,841 Senior Member
    zorba said:
     It was their "grip sense technology" that drew me in.
    Say it ain't so
    :D :D :D
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

edited March 13 #23
    knitepoet said:
    zorba said:
     It was their "grip sense technology" that drew me in.
    Say it ain't so
    :D :D :D
    Yea, you'd think that of all people, *I* would have known better.
    I sent the damn thing back - if/when I receive a replacement, I'm gonna sell it and buy a set of TruGlos for the LC9s. I'll make ya a GREAT deal on it!

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,330 Senior Member
    Bummer....but don't stay there and write a review in the online vendor of your choice so another poor potential customer doesn't have to go through your same unpleasant experience with this apparently lousy product.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,407 Senior Member

Something I learned in 50-something years in the auto repair business was that one unhappy customer will give you more publicity than a dozen satisfied ones.  Yell loud and long on whatever feedback venue is available.  Manufacturers really do notice those things, even if they don't acknowledge it, sometimes.  That's why General Motors changed the name of their Turbo 700R4 transmission to "4L-60" after they worked the bugs out of it.  The "700" moniker just had too much bad baggage to drag around!

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Yep - early versions of that 700R4 were crap!

Just keep your torches well saturated in whale fat and you won't need those new fangled laser thingies.
    🗽
    Well, ain't this just special!
    Just received a magazine from Crossman for a BB hand gun. No idea why they sent it to me, but it must have something to do with the LaserMax return as LM is owned by Crossman!