Taking a Deer with a 77 year old Mauser!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,772 Senior Member
Ain’t as easy as you would think. 

It took 4 outings before everything worked out. I saw deer every time, but they were either too far or the wrong one (looking for a doe or cull buck). 

I wanted to hunt from the ground and tried several different spots. 

Yesterday evening’s set up finally paid off. 

I set up in a brush pile about 100 yards from a fence line that deer like to walk at dusk and like clockwork, they started moving at 6:15p. I knew it was going to be tough as the sun set at 6:30p and nothing had moved into range. 

As the sun set, I saw several does and young buck move out into the field and pass by me to my left. Unfortunately, I couldn’t shoot that direction because of the brush pile. So, I just watched them pass and assumed this would be another fruitless outing. 

But, finally a huge 8 point buck and doe started walking down the fence line, heading my way. The buck passed by first with the doe lagging behind. Light was failing and I was having trouble seeing the deer through the sights. 

With only 15min of legal shooting light remaining and honestly only a couple minutes of CAPABLE shooting light left, the doe quartered slightly towards me. 

This illuminated her right side and allowed me to vaguely make her out behind the iron sights. 

She was only 104 yards away, but was one of my most difficult shots on game. I checked and rechecked my sight picture. Then, sent a 160gr Hornady RN bullet on its way. Dropping her on the spot. 

I had intended to shoot her high in the shoulder and drop her. But, in the difficult light and sharp quartering angle, I hit her a few inches behind the shoulder but through the spine. 

Here is where she was standing at the shot. 

After the shot, I called my buddy and collected my gear. Walking across the field, it was a pretty cool feeling. Knowing that I had just taken my second deer EVER with an iron sighted rifle!

But, the coolest part was that I had taken this deer for my father and used a rifle that was built the same year he was born. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,791 Senior Member
    Congratulations!
    A connection with alot of hunters across the globe I'd guess.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,772 Senior Member
    Entrance 

Path

Exit

The bullet entered high behind the shoulder. Being a steeper quartering angle than I thought, the bullet broke the top of several ribs, severed the spine in two, damaged the top of both lungs, broke several more ribs, and exited to parts beyond. 

Quite impressive damage. 

As as I was butchering the deer and cutting all the meat from between the ribs, the whole back half of the deer fell off. There was no bone holding the front to the back. Only the muscles between the ribs. 

This was a fun adventure and rewarding endeavor. 

Ironically, my only deer taken in daylight this season (used a MLD Tag) and there wasn’t much left!   All my other deer were harvested with Depredation Permits at night. 

Thanks for all all the help with this project. 

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,408 Senior Member
    edited February 24 #4
    Outstanding work and great persistence.  

I have been through that drama that you described using iron sights and its definitely eye-opening as to how spoiled we are with good-quality, telescopic optics.  
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,205 Senior Member
    Nicely done...great pics and story as usual...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,744 Senior Member
    Well done.  I'm sure you Dad will appreciate the meat
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    The doe had a TON of fat on her!  A very well fed deer. 

She was also also carrying two fawns, unfortunately. 

But, numbers need to be lowered. So, cost of doing business. 
    Diver43 said:
    Well done.  I'm sure you Dad will appreciate the meat
    I provide him with a deeror two every year. He enjoys the meat. 
    Jayhawker said:
    Nicely done...great pics and story as usual...
    Thanks. It was a pretty sunset. 
    Six-Gun said:
    Outstanding work and great persistence.  

I have been through that drama that you described using iron sights and its definitely eye-opening as to how spoiled we are with good-quality, telescopic optics.  
    Thanks. 

Definately a challenge!  I think I like it!!!
    Congratulations!
    A connection with alot of hunters across the globe I'd guess.
    It was pretty cool using a WWII era rifle. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,865 Senior Member
    Impressive. Impressive hunt, impressive report, impressive pix (as always). Really cool with a WW II era rifle and iron sights. {BOW HERE}
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 976 Senior Member
    I wouldnt expect a recovered bullet on any whitetail with that cartridge and bullet.  They are a freight train for that caliber.

Well done and great documentation yet again.  It is always nice to see the results of different bullets on game, especially when the meat goes to a good use.
    Thanks guys. 

Yeah, this seems like a pretty good penetrator. Would like to try one on a pig. But, they are pretty nocturnal at the areas I hunt them. Kinda hard with iron sights. 
    Got a picture of the doe I shot on game camera a few minutes before I shot her. 

• Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 230 Member
    Great hunt and what a great feeling- Congrats.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,029 Senior Member
    Your eyes are better than mine, that was a good shot. The damage is impressive, no bullet fragments were found?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,351 Senior Member
    With iron sights, that last 30 minutes of legal light is iffy at best. From my experience, as the minutes tick down, so does the range as the light fades. So a solid 100 yard shot in broad daylight now becomes 80 yards-- 40 minutes before sunset, and starts fading down to point blank... then nothing.

I bet that is one of the hardest 100 yard shots you will ever make. With a vintage rifle built the same year your dad was born and getting him some deer, considering all he did when you were a kid to support your hunting... with a vintage style bullet that was supplied by a fellow member... This is epic!

That is super cool. I appreciate you sharing with us. It is probably the best hunting story I have read all season.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,736 Senior Member
    Awesome!!!
    Makes me want to get my 8X57J Mauser out and set her up for a hunt damnit......and then take the 10.75X68 ( 1908) out for a walk... 
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Your eyes are better than mine, that was a good shot. The damage is impressive, no bullet fragments were found?
    No bullet fragments that I could find. Seems to have held together well. 

I bet that is one of the hardest 100 yard shots you will ever make. With a vintage rifle built the same year your dad was born and getting him some deer, considering all he did when you were a kid to support your hunting... with a vintage style bullet that was supplied by a fellow member... This is epic!

That is super cool. I appreciate you sharing with us. It is probably the best hunting story I have read all season.
    It was quite a series of events with all involved. 

From start to finish. A fun experience.  
    orchidman said:
    Awesome!!!
    Makes me want to get my 8X57J Mauser out and set her up for a hunt damnit......and then take the 10.75X68 ( 1908) out for a walk... 
    I gotta find me an 8x57. 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,321 Senior Member
    Can you find bullets for the J-Mauser?  I think they're larger in diameter  than the JS.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    8x57J uses a .318" bullet and 8x57 JS uses a .323" bullet.  If memory serves me right it was it was some time in the 1900-1905 range where they switched to the .323" diameter.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,321 Senior Member
    I had it backwards.  Thanks, mit.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    edited February 26 #26
    It happens.  With as fried as my brain is getting from work, I'm shocked I can even remember the diameters.

For Zee to enjoy....

170rn and 150sp

170rn compared to 6.5x55 160rn

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,100 Senior Member
    This is so good and rewarding-Very happy for you!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    edited February 26 #28
    mitdr774 said:

For Zee to enjoy....

170rn compared to 6.5x55 160rn

Lust!!!

Daddy want. 
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,287 Senior Member
    you looking for rifle or carbine length? I've been considering selling mine.

Sako
    sakodude said:
    you looking for rifle or carbine length? I've been considering selling mine.

Sako
    What ya got?

In a perfect world, I want a sporterized “German Hunting Rifle”. 

But, this ain’t a perfect world. 

What ya got?

😁