Taking a Deer with a 77 year old Mauser!

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,248 Senior Member
    edited February 26 #32
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Which one?  Details?
    I’m somewhat clueless on them. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,248 Senior Member
    Carbine length is a Yugo 24/47, the rifle length is a CZ BRNO 98/22 both 8x57 Mauser.
    Probably put 100 rnds of surplus ammo through the 24/47, it's a good shooter. I honestly can't recall if I ever even fired the CZ. Would consider selling ether one or both. Not shooting the mil-surps much these days so been thinking about selling. Need any Enfields, Mosins, Steyr's :D

Sako
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    WOW!  I would not have expected that level of trauma from a 6.5.  Impressive.

Your standard Mauser shopping formats are going to be the 29" rifles of the WWI and prior era, and the 24" "short rifles" that started appearing in WWI and became the common thing afterwards.  Various cavalry and artillery carbines are there to be found - mostly in the 18-22" range, but are usually going to be rarer and pricier.  Truthfully, I'd be ALL ABOUT the carbine flavors in the 6.5's and maybe even the 7x57, but the 8mm has some thump to it - I'd be wanting to stick with a heftier short rifle for that round.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    sakodude said:
    Carbine length is a Yugo 24/47, the rifle length is a CZ BRNO 98/22 both 8x57 Mauser.
    Probably put 100 rnds of surplus ammo through the 24/47, it's a good shooter. I honestly can't recall if I ever even fired the CZ. Would consider selling ether one or both. Not shooting the mil-surps much these days so been thinking about selling. Need any Enfields, Mosins, Steyr's :D

Sako
    We must talk. 

Ill switch to IM. 
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    That's really cool, dude. I can't even remember the last critter I saw over irons, let alone hit.

No....wait.....I do. An armadillo at about 8 feet.

One shot....22LR. Did a freaking number on him, along with a freon line entering my AC condensing unit.

Stuff happens.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    Speaking of armadillos, I shot one in the head with a .45 ACP and was treated to a display of acrobatics like I never saw before...it then it hopped into a nearby pond...where it sunk like a rock...those critters don't float...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,727 Senior Member
    That's really cool, dude. I can't even remember the last critter I saw over irons, let alone hit.

One shot....22LR. Did a freaking number on him, along with a freon line entering my AC condensing unit.

Stuff happens.

Mike
    You have a problem with varmints, stuff seems to happen, snakes, possums, armadillas. pdogs, you should write this stuff down ;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,071 Senior Member
    I think this is a prewar German hunting rifle, 8mm.  It weighs about 7.7 pounds and kicks with a full bore round.  It's accurate, has claw mounts on the front and a rib going all the way down. The barrel is 24". 
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    For sale?
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    orchidman said:
    Awesome!!!
    Makes me want to get my 8X57J Mauser out and set her up for a hunt damnit......and then take the 10.75X68 ( 1908) out for a walk... 
    I gotta find me an 8x57. 
    Have I got a deal for you!

Will post it up when I get my laptop back in a couple of hours..........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    mitdr774 said:
    8x57J uses a .318" bullet and 8x57 JS uses a .323" bullet.  If memory serves me right it was it was some time in the 1900-1905 range where they switched to the .323" diameter.
    Correct.
    I have  300-400 .318" 196 gr soft point round nose Norma projectiles...
    Sent some to Teach a few years back so he could load some hunting rounds for Woodsrunner.......
    Here is your rifle...........

Sporterised Oberndorf Mauser in 8X57J. ( Takes .318" projectiles).
    Double set triggers
    Butter knife bolt handle
    Pecar 4X81scope

But wait, there is more..............
    It comes with over 300 Norma 196gr soft point round nose projectiles........

And...................
    3 packets of brand new 8X57j brass in their original packets as well as approx 300 fired cases ( also in packets)....

And a set of Lyman 8X57 JS dies, the set includes an interchangeable expander for the J (.318" ) caliber.....

Put it all together and you get this....

It also comes with a free 5 day hunt culling goats, a reloading setup for you to use, free accomodation for the duration of your stay in Kiwiland and a bottle of 80 yr old Port.

Price for the rifle to be negotiated on your arrival.

All you have to do is buy a return  airfare to visit me and arrange the documentation to take the rifle home with you........ 
    Damn. 
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member

btdt :smile:

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:

Stuff happens.

Mike
    You have a problem with varmints, stuff seems to happen, snakes, possums, armadillas. pdogs, you should write this stuff down ;)
    I have. It's in the archives.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    orchidman said:
    Here is your rifle...........

Sporterised Oberndorf Mauser in 8X57J. ( Takes .318" projectiles).
    Double set triggers
    Butter knife bolt handle
    Pecar 4X81scope

But wait, there is more..............
    It comes with over 300 Norma 196gr soft point round nose projectiles........

And...................
    3 packets of brand new 8X57j brass in their original packets as well as approx 300 fired cases ( also in packets)....

And a set of Lyman 8X57 JS dies, the set includes an interchangeable expander for the J (.318" ) caliber.....

Put it all together and you get this....

It also comes with a free 5 day hunt culling goats, a reloading setup for you to use, free accomodation for the duration of your stay in Kiwiland and a bottle of 80 yr old Port.

Price for the rifle to be negotiated on your arrival.

All you have to do is buy a return  airfare to visit me and arrange the documentation to take the rifle home with you........ 
    I would do this for just the bottle of port... dang!
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Damn. 
    Yeah you ain't beatin' dat wif a stick Dude!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Gene L said:
    I think this is a prewar German hunting rifle, 8mm.  It weighs about 7.7 pounds and kicks with a full bore round.  It's accurate, has claw mounts on the front and a rib going all the way down. The barrel is 24". 
    Been doing research on this rifle.  According to the German Gun Collectors website, it was made in 1912 or before.  On the ring, it's stamped ..2.7 GBP which stands for the powder charge of "flake powder."  Below that is St m G is for a jacketed bullet.  After 1912, the stamp changed.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    That is a cool rifle. 
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    edited February 28 #52
    CHIRO1989 said:ems to happen, snakes, possums, armadillas. pdogs, you should write this stuff down ;)
    If you're trying to get it for meat use some plastic gloves. They're known to carry leprosy, but they claim if you cook it you're safe. They're wonderful BBQed.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    The seven segment armadillo is the one that carries (maybe) Bright's disease (leprosy).  I ain't going to eat one, regardless.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
      Nice, good shooting! I used to take one of my oldies out every year before the end of the season to get some hunting time in with them. I always enjoyed taking a different game with one of those old rifles.
    you done well!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    I think I’m hooked. 
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,268 Senior Member
    edited March 2 #56

The first Mauser sporter I built, back in 1986, was a present for my father.  It started life as a 29" barreled Carl Gustaf 6.5X55 Swedish rifle made in 1911.  I still have it, since Dad passed on one month shy of his 90th. birthday.  I cut the barrel back to 24", lathe-tapered it, and spent weeks shaping, sanding and finishing a "semi-inletted" Reinhardt Fajen stock.  It's got Remington 700 iron sights and a steel-tube 2.5X7 Weaver scope in "see-through" mounts (Yep, I didn't know any better back then!)  It will still put a 3-shot 100 yard group inside a dime regularly, even with a less-than ideal sighting system, and the iron sights don't do much worse.   Its favorite load is a 125 grain Nosler Partition at around 2800 FPS, and it's taken a lot of deer in the past 30-something years.

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    edited March 6 #57
    Great write up, proves the adage that good things come to those who wait.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    I would like to take a deer or a hog with my 120 year old 8mm Mauser, but I doubt I ever will. I don't have a place to hunt and don't care much about killing anything.  Hard to find bullets for it, as well.  It's a I (J) bore, maybe less than .318.  As I reported earlier, it's SN is from a Commercial Mauser in 1909-1910.  My own 6,5 would shoot a group...I bubbed it up, put a foreend tip and a bent bolt and even checkered the stock.  Pretty well.  It was a shooter.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    I have a good supply of .318 jacketed round nose bullets, thanks to Orchidman sending me a couple of boxes, and also a Lubersizer die that I built for sizing .323 cast bullets down to the proper size for a J bore barrel.  A light gallery-style load with cast bullets would also mitigate the kick somewhat and make it more pleasant to shoot.   Woodsrunner has a bunch of reloads I made up for his rifle, using both types of bullets.
    edited March 10 #60
    I just bought 100 .318 RN bullets.  I really need to slug the bore, as the proof marks say 7.7mm...which I'm told can mean a .318 or maybe a .311.  I should do this tomorrow.  I've got 7.7 bullets aplenty.  I have a standard set of 8mm dies, but will try to reduce the case mouth if needed with a Rube Goldberg setup of different dies....303, 7.65 x 55, whatever.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    The .323 resizing die works OK on the cases for the .318 bullets.  What you will need is an expander button for .318 so you don't stretch the case mouth out too far and make the bullets loose in the neck.  If you happen to have Lee dies, just chuck the expander up in a drill press and use emery cloth to polish it down a few thousandths.  I haven't tried that on a RCBS expander, which has a hardened steel expander button, I believe.  That might take a bit more time to polish down.