Taking a Deer with a 77 year old Mauser!

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member

Doing an "inch to metric" math conversion on 7.7 MM (7.7 X .039) comes out to 0.3008 inches.  7.92MM converts to 0.3088 inches with the same formula.  Neither one makes good nonsense when compared to actual bullet sizes!

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,248 Senior Member
    I slugged the bore.  It's .318.  I don't know why it's labeled as 7.7, but it was not an unusual practice back in the day...it's mentioned in the Mauser Collector's website.  I've been looking for some I (J) dies, but they're impossible to find.  I guess I'll have to reduce the neck in some other way.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,606 Senior Member
    If you have RCBS die, I bet they'd fix you up with a new right size expander.
    I need a die that will size the neck down to .318 and an expander to do the trick. I'll try something else first.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    I load .318 ammo with a .323 resizing die.  It works just fine by simply swapping to the .319 expander ball, at least for the 80 rounds I loaded for Woodsrunner.  Maybe I'm wrong, but don't tell that ammo, because ir doesn't know the difference.  
    Can't edit the typos.  I made my own .318 expander.  The .323 full length resizing die shrinks the case neck far enough for the .318 expander to be effective.  You don't need a dedicated resizing die.  Do I need to send you a few resized cases so you'll believe me?  
    No, I believe you.  I don't have a .318 expander, and can't find one.  I sure don't have the ability to make one!
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Lee will make a custom collet neck sizing die, but they want fired cases and dummy rounds.

https://leeprecision.net/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/98/73/8mm-mauser-bullet-diameters-s-323-and-j-318
    All it takes is a drill motor, a Lee .323 expander stem, a dial caliper, and a piece of sandpaper.  And about 10 minutes.
    Sounds like a plan. 
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    I'd suggest making the expander about a .316 diameter or very slightly smaller, giving about a .002" press fit in the case for the .318 bullet.  I think that's what I used on Woodsrunner's J bore ammo. 
    I'll remember that.  I know I inadvisedly shot a S round and it kicked like hell.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    I can always send you some .318" projectiles Gene along with some resized brass.........Say enough to make up 40 rounds.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

I've already made that offer, from a lot closer.  I think Gene wants to paddle his own canoe on this one.

I appreciate both of your kind offers, but I figure I'd better get familiar on my own.  More fun that way.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

"Some people learn  by reading- - - -some learn by watching others- - - - -then there's the few who just have to pee on the electric fence for themselves!"  Have fun!

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 924 Senior Member
    I learned by watching the cows to figure out the timing, then tricking my cousin to sit on the fence.  Never though the city boy would pull one over on the farm boy.   He was pissed when he got hit and I almost pissed my self as I laughed way harder than I should have.
    I measured the mouth of an unfired 8mm x 57 case.  I got .310.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,814 Senior Member
    What's the actual size of 8x57JR?
    My lgs has a box of S&B 196 gr
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,620 Senior Member
    I just ordered some 170gr Hornady RN .323cal bullets for my forthcoming 8mm Mauser JS rifle. 

I’m a happy camper. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    I like the way that bullet has shot from my one rifle so far.
    I believe the military loads for the JS ran mostly Spitzer bullets, so it might be a bit tricky to get a good seating depth for round nose bullets.  Do you have, or intend to get a "Lock & Load" chamber checking gauge for the 8X57?  I have that oddball threading tap (5/16-32, I believe) and it's pretty simple to make a gauge from a piece of spent brass that will be fire-formed to your specific chamber.  
    RugerFan said:
    What's the actual size of 8x57JR?
    My lgs has a box of S&B 196 gr
    Should be .318 but it's rimmed, probably for a drilling.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,620 Senior Member
    Teach said:
    I believe the military loads for the JS ran mostly Spitzer bullets, so it might be a bit tricky to get a good seating depth for round nose bullets.  Do you have, or intend to get a "Lock & Load" chamber checking gauge for the 8X57?  I have that oddball threading tap (5/16-32, I believe) and it's pretty simple to make a gauge from a piece of spent brass that will be fire-formed to your specific chamber.  
    Ordered the Hornady Modified Case with the brass/bullets. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    The 170gr RN should be no issue at all.  If I am not mistaken Hornady designed it around use in the 8x57 cartridge.  If my memory is correct on my one rifle I checked it on, my maximum OAL with the Hornady 170 RN resulted in the bullet not even being in the case at all.

The transition from RN to Spitzer is an interesting one.  About the time the 98 Mauser went into production, the Spitzer bullet was in the process of being invented.  The US government had already basically stolen the Mauser design when they began producing the 1903 Springfield, (with the .30-03 cartridge with a 220 grain RN bullet).  in 1906, the design was revised for a 150 grain Spitzer, and the cartridge was renamed .30-06.  After WW I  Germany sued the USA at the world court, and we ended up paying a patent infringement royalty on all the rifles we used in WW I, and all the .30 caliber Spitzers we shot at Germany!

Very interesting!

Cupro-nickel anyone?
    Hornady 150sp #3232, Hornady 170rn #3235, Speer 170 semi sp #2283, and Speer 200sp #2285