Taking a Deer with a 77 year old Mauser!

124»

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,620 Senior Member
    None of these recent milsurp acquisitions are long range projects. I’m perfectly content and even preferring round nosed bullets for all of them. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,043 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    None of these recent milsurp acquisitions are long range projects. I’m perfectly content and even preferring round nosed bullets for all of them. 
    Something to file away. . .I needed to call up Redding for a different seater stem than came stock with my .303 dies.  My cast bullets are are more akin to the older British MK1 through MK6 round nose ammo than the needle-nosed MK7 spitzer that the stock seater stem is apparently designed for.  Short version - didn't work, but Redding set me up in style no charge.

I don't know if that's a .303 thing, a Redding thing, or if it's universally inherent to other rounds that made the RN-to-Spitzer transition, but you might want to be ready to order a replacement stem so you aren't making angry monkey noises at your press.

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member

I encountered something similar when I was loading RN cast bullets for a few different cartridges.  The Spitzer-type seater plug was acting like a bullet puller and it would yank the bullet back out, or at least produce inconsistent seating depths sometimes.   A few minutes' time at the lathe to make a different shaped seater plug solved the problem in my case, but that's an option most reloaders don't have.

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,248 Senior Member
    I read somewhere that you could place a small dollop of wax in the seating plug and it would conform to the bullet shape.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,248 Senior Member
    Found a used set of J dies on Ebay, got my 170 g .318 bullets today and loaded some rounds to a fairly medium performance level.  Using 4895.  I had new brass, and the mouth was too large for the .318...had to neck it down so the bullet would seat.  I'm looking forward to shooting this rifle with the proper bullets.  Range report later.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06