When Trump declared national emergency, most detained immigrants were not criminals

sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior MemberPosts: 1,645 Senior Member

Only about half!!!

The Washington Post

When Trump declared national emergency, most detained immigrants were not criminals

Maria Sacchetti

Of the 48,793 immigrants jailed on Feb. 9, the ICE data shows, 18,124 had criminal records. An additional 5,715 people had pending criminal charges, officials said, but they did not provide details. ICE also did not break down the severity of the crimes committed by or attributed to detainees.

An average of 59 percent of detainees in custody during this fiscal year had no criminal history, according to ICE.

“It proves this is a fake emergency,” said Kevin Appleby, policy director at the Center for Migration Studies, a New York-based nonpartisan immigration think tank. “It really shows that what the president’s doing is abusing his power based on false information.”

ICE acting director Ronald Vitiello and Deputy Director Matthew Albence declined to comment Friday and referred questions to the White House. Officials there did not respond to a request for comment.

During the budget debate earlier this month, Albence said all detainees have violated federal laws, “by coming here illegally, or coming here legally and overstaying their visas.”

He told reporters last week that the nation “cannot have a system whereby immigration enforcement is only effectuated against those individuals once they commit a subsequent crime to their initial immigration violation.”

Days earlier at a Cabinet meeting, as a budget deal over border security and immigration enforcement was falling into place, the president said U.S. officials were nabbing “incredible” numbers of criminals. Taking a card handed to him by Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, he read from a list of crimes allegedly committed by immigrants: “Robberies: 11,177. Kidnappings: 4,112. Murders: 3,914.”

Immigration officials have said arresting and deporting criminals is their top priority, and thousands are taken into custody, put on airplanes and dispatched to foreign countries every year. In fiscal 2018, officials said the agency deported 256,000 people, more than half of whom had a criminal history.

ICE has also pointed out that Trump gave the agency wide latitude to arrest anyone in the United States illegally, whether or not they are criminals.

“Immigration law isn’t just about bouncing criminals out of the country,” said Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies and a supporter of increased enforcement at the border. “If every illegal alien were Mother Teresa, they would be deportable.”

During the budget debate, ICE said that 72 percent of the detainees are subject to “mandatory detention,” including some who have criminal records and those who crossed the border illegally and are subject to a speedy deportation process.

[email protected]

Replies

• sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,645 Senior Member
    Fortunately I copied most of this Washington Post article. When I tried to post the link it had mysteriously disappeared!
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,645 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Illegal Immigrants- They broke the law by entering illegally. They are, therefore, by definition, criminal aliens illegally in the U.S. That's all I need to know.

Exactly! Unfortunately in most cases all we are allowed to do is deport them. Chain gangs building border barriers might be more effective and quite appropriate for their crime. Although barriers are no where near 100% effective they can at least deter quite a few.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,706 Senior Member
    When you hunt around on the internet, you come up with all kinds of numbers of murders committed by illegal immigrants so rather than pin a specific number, lets just say it's plural.
     Now isn't the liberal mantra about various proposed new gun control laws always "if it saves just one life"?
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,178 Senior Member
    But that's gun control.  Guns.  Guns are inanimate objects.

Immigration law is about controlling the flow of people.  Controlling people is wrong.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,135 Senior Member

Immigration law is about controlling the flow of people.  Controlling people is wrong.
    I assume that's sarcasm.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 351 Member
    As of January, 3,472 criminal aliens were in Arizona prisons. 387 are in for murder, 302 for child molestation, 325 for assault, 241 for kidnapping, 295 for sex offenses, and 1,061 for drug sales/trafficking. That is not drug possession - that number is only 59, and of those only 5 are for just marijuana. Build the wall. Here is my information.
    https://corrections.az.gov/sites/default/files/REPORTS/CAG/2019/cagjan19.pdf
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,183 Senior Member
    Gila said:

I assume that's sarcasm.
    Breamfisher is really good at that tongue in cheek sarcasm thing. :D

If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.