Home Main Category General Firearms

Recommendation for Quick Access Pistol Safe (Home Use)

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,395 Senior Member
Looking for something that has keypad and key back up. Want quality. Don't want to have to hassle with sending something back because it doesn't work. I've done the Amazon search and almost all of them have reviews where the 5 star rankings are only in the 50 percentile range and the 3 and below in the 25 percent range. 

Any recommendations? 

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    I use just a key box. I put my keys with the lock key into the lock at night and grab them out and into my pocket in the morning as an established habbit.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Yup. Me too. Thanks but looking to upgrade.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 742 Senior Member
    Do you mean that you want a safe you can access quickly in time of need?  Or, one that’s bigger or more secure when it’s locked?  I’m with early on this. The butt simple key lock safe next to my bed serves me well and keeps the contents safe from my grandkids. 

Hawk
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,635 Senior Member
    I gave up on mine, I just keep my pants next to the bed in the condition I took them off in with the gun in the holster.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    I have a Gun Vault Mini Vault standard. It is......... 11 years old now I believe. It works perfectly but keep in mind  it could be pried open with a big screwdriver and a hammer. I loaded it up with Lithium AA's and only on the the third set....

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Thanks jpb. Just trying to keep the grand daughters from accessing the home defense pistol and I want my wife and daughter to access it if I'm not around. Needs to be keypad and key lock back up. This sounds like it would work. 

Everything else is locked up in other gun safes, but I don't want to have to hassle with a key. At nigh when sleeping the gun is out and next to the bed. Just  looking for grand-kid deterrence...

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,153 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    I have a Gun Vault Mini Vault standard. It is......... 11 years old now I believe. It works perfectly but keep in mind  it could be pried open with a big screwdriver and a hammer. I loaded it up with Lithium AA's and only on the the third set....

That’s the same one I have.  It works.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,635 Senior Member
    Thanks jpb. Just trying to keep the grand daughters from accessing the home defense pistol and I want my wife and daughter to access it if I'm not around. Needs to be keypad and key lock back up. This sounds like it would work. 

Everything else is locked up in other gun safes, but I don't want to have to hassle with a key. At nigh when sleeping the gun is out and next to the bed. Just  looking for grand-kid deterrence...

That is the one I have, it will work for the purposes you described.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Thanks. 

• Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 601 Senior Member
    Those gun vaults that use fingerprints to open can store a couple sets. So u could have you and you’re wife. They work pretty good and they have a key backup
    Been reading the reviews. Most of the good reviews are from customers who just got the safes, and most of the bad reviews come from customers who have had them for a couple of years and are experiencing problems with no good customer support... Don't know who to believe. So I thought I'd come to the experts... ;)
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    I have a gunvault double stack  (1000?) that I’ve had since I came into the military 17 years ago.  It’s still going strong.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    I picked this one up a couple or three weeks ago.  It works as advertised.

• wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,094 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:

The Gunvault that I have is like this one only a double decker. I've had it for at least 7-8 years and it's never failed. The one I had before this one was a biometric of a brand that I can't remember. I do remember that it'd only open about half the time for me and every time for the wife.
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
    I picked this one up a couple or three weeks ago.  It works as advertised.

That was one I looked at as well. Some great reviews, some not so great. I'm wondering if the poor reviews are from people who just suck at following instructions? 
    Thanks for the comments. Tomorrow I'm hitting Cabelas to see what they have in stock. 
    That was one I looked at as well. Some great reviews, some not so great. I'm wondering if the poor reviews are from people who just suck at following instructions? 
    That has been my takeaway from reviews on many products.  Sometimes it is easy to pick out the stupid ones.  Something to keep in mind on this one that the IQ challenged may run afoul of....once you unlock it, gravity opens it.  If you have it mounted in the wrong orientation, that won't happen.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    wddodge said:
    jbp-ohio said:

The Gunvault that I have is like this one only a double decker. I've had it for at least 7-8 years and it's never failed. The one I had before this one was a biometric of a brand that I can't remember. I do remember that it'd only open about half the time for me and every time for the wife.
    That's good intel.  I, too, have the double decker version of the pictured safe, but was looking at adding a biometric version of what 10canyon53 bought to our kitchen for downstairs defense.  I wondered how well the biometrics actually detected a fingerprint, especially under duress...  
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    I decided to stay away from  biometrics after researching them.  I decided the technology just wasn't at the point yet where I am willing to risk my life on it.  The one I bought has 4 buttons, but you can program anything from a 3 digit code to a 6 digit code.  Instead of trying to remember a number combination I programed a pattern that I am very familiar with for accessing hidden menus on the HVAC controls I work with.
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,094 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    wddodge said:
    jbp-ohio said:

That's good intel.  I, too, have the double decker version of the pictured safe, but was looking at adding a biometric version of what 10canyon53 bought to our kitchen for downstairs defense.  I wondered how well the biometrics actually detected a fingerprint, especially under duress...  
    Biometrics just don't work for me. I'm an auto mechanic during the day and maybe that screws with my prints enough that it doesn't work. My prints don't work most of the time on the safe at work or when I used to go to Bio-life. Even the Sherriffs dept had to try a couple of times to get my prints when I got my CCW.
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    We have a fingerprint reader on the time clock at work. It works but your finger has to be placed in a very precise way. Not good for speed
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson