Home Main Category Clubhouse

Ouch......

olesniperolesniper Senior MemberPosts: 3,763 Senior Member
I was headed to D'burg, for a couple of days, when just outside Nashville........this happened. Was talking to my brother on the phone......please forgive his gripping about Microsoft. LOL

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,825 Senior Member
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #3
    folks might want copies of that video, did you call it in?

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    I HATE driving in Chattanooga, Knoxville, Nashville, and Memphis on the Interstates. People do weird stuff all the time. And tailgating seems to be the norm for all four cities. Glad you didn't get tagged by the white or black SUVs that were to your left. They could have darted in front of you and got you involved big time.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,161 Senior Member
    Guy in silver truck was stupid for hitting brakes for a chunk of semi tire...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,659 Senior Member
    More accidents are caused by brake pedals than were ever caused by gas pedals.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    Guy in silver truck was stupid for hitting brakes for a chunk of semi tire...
    Having seen the carnage caused by chunks of semi tire, the guy running too close and not paying enough attention was the stupid one.  

I have had to run lights that I should have stopped at due to idiots driving too close.  That attitude might change in a few more years when the amount required to total the truck is lower though.  I just dont want to deal with another repaired vehicle again.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Incorrect.  The wreck that happens due to "someone hitting brakes" doesn't happen if folks aren't tailgating. 

Period.  

Not giving yourself ample following time - enough to come to a complete stop from whatever speed you're traveling - is stupid and is a recipe for collision.  Make no mistake... if a vehicle rear ends another without having first been cut off by said vehicle, the driver of the following vehicle is at fault.

Unfortunately, the way many drive these days almost requires one to "defensively" tailgate as well, to hopefully try and avoid being constantly cut off by folks who see a space that measures slightly less than the length of their vehicle as an opportunity to spit on it and MAKE it fit... anything more than that is an invitation to bring friends along.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    That was a tire? I thought it looked like a human body.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    folks might want copies of that video, did you call it in?

Yep......sent link to NPD.
    That stuff lying in the road like 18 separated wheeler trailer retreads , ladders, deer, cardboard boxes, bags of trash, etc. is why I LOVE the major ground clearance of my Dodge 4WD. I can go over that stuff  and never hit most of it. I have shredded a few full trash bags and cardboard boxes, though. Confetti for the fool tailgating me.

― Douglas Adams
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,161 Senior Member
    That is how it works in a perfect world. In reality world if you try to keep the proper distance in the right lane, all you get is cars going slower than traffic a place to pull in front of you. Then you have to lift to get that distance back.......... over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Try it going thru any hill country and the semi's will do it whether there is room or not. Now you get to go 30mph at the top of each hill as the semi's drive side by side for the next 10 miles.

The guy who was tailgating was at fault. Not only for tailgating but not paying attention. One of the reasons I like driving a truck is that you can see farther ahead in traffic. He should have seen the brake lights of the first truck and not have to react to the brake lights of the truck in front of him.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    zorba said:
    Incorrect.  The wreck that happens due to "someone hitting brakes" doesn't happen if folks aren't tailgating. 

Period.  

Not giving yourself ample following time - enough to come to a complete stop from whatever speed you're traveling - is stupid and is a recipe for collision.  Make no mistake... if a vehicle rear ends another without having first been cut off by said vehicle, the driver of the following vehicle is at fault.

Unfortunately, the way many drive these days almost requires one to "defensively" tailgate as well, to hopefully try and avoid being constantly cut off by folks who see a space that measures slightly less than the length of their vehicle as an opportunity to spit on it and MAKE it fit... anything more than that is an invitation to bring friends along.
    While I agree with the gist of this, there is no "period". It isn't always about somebody following too close - although it often - maybe even "usually" is. Idiots braking and even STOPPING in the middle of the freeway cause more accidents than I can count.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    edited February 2019 #14
    jbp-ohio said:
    That is how it works in a perfect world. In reality world if you try to keep the proper distance in the right lane, all you get is cars going slower than traffic a place to pull in front of you. Then you have to lift to get that distance back.......... over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Try it going thru any hill country and the semi's will do it whether there is room or not. Now you get to go 30mph at the top of each hill as the semi's drive side by side for the next 10 miles.

The guy who was tailgating was at fault. Not only for tailgating but not paying attention. One of the reasons I like driving a truck is that you can see farther ahead in traffic. He should have seen the brake lights of the first truck and not have to react to the brake lights of the truck in front of him.
    Yes. This happens. And the tailgater was probably ON THE PHONE or otherwise distracted. But the guy that hit the brakes in the middle of the freeway was an idiot, all the same.
    A lot, maybe "most" people, when they see a "situation", tend to hit the brakes. That is often - although certainly not always - the wrong reaction. Oftentimes the best thing to do is mash the accelerator to the floor and STEER your way out of harm's way. That has gotten both myself, and my wife, out of trouble more than once. Once you stop, you're out of options.

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    I was rear ended once on the Santa Ana Freeway once while driving my Triumph Spitfire, not by the vehicle behind me, but by the vehicle behind her, and then again by the vehicle behind the third car.  I was in the center lane with a semi in front of me at around 55 mph and vehicles in the lanes both to left and right of me.  The semi never hit his brakes when a sheet of about 4' x 8' mangled steel came out from underneath him, which had fallen off of a flatbed in front of him.  I had no where to go, and attempted to slow to a stop to avoid hitting the jagged steel plate that wanted to destroy my Spitfire.  Since then I don't drive behind the big rigs anymore since they block the view ahead.  Of course the vehicle causing the rear ending was not insured...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    zorba said:
    Yes. This happens. And the tailgater was probably ON THE PHONE or otherwise distracted. But the guy that hit the brakes in the middle of the freeway was an idiot, all the same.
    A lot, maybe "most" people, when they see a "situation", tend to hit the brakes. That is often - although certainly not always - the wrong reaction. Oftentimes the best thing to do is mash the accelerator to the floor and STEER your way out of harm's way. That has gotten both myself, and my wife, out of trouble more than once. Once you stop, you're out of options.

It depends entirely on what is in the road as to whether hitting the brakes or running over it/steering around it is an option. I've done a controlled stop on the interstate because of a wreck in front of me, and had a car tailgating me get the 'stinger' drop hitch in their radiator because of it. I couldn't go to left hand lane because of vehicle beside me, I couldn't hit the shoulder because of Jersey Blocks  due to construction, so I stopped safely as I was following at a VERY reasonable distance, and the speed limit was 45 on the interstate due to construction. I had no choice but to stop. I've also stopped on the interstate when a truck has lost a load (of logs). Ain't no way to steer around that mess. And I sho' nuff wouldn't run over a pedestrian hit and lying in the road, or steer around and let he oblivious tailgater behind me hit them. Your view is a bit simplistic.
    ― Douglas Adams
    That's right Mike, if there's no place to go, there's no place to go! Stop and pray...

• olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    To be honest.......the inside lane, in that area, is for motorcycles, car poolers with a bunch of people, and Millennials, driving their little blue Priuses. I doubt if any of that bunch were qualified to be there.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    zorba said:

Period.  

While I agree with the gist of this, there is no "period". It isn't always about somebody following too close - although it often - maybe even "usually" is. Idiots braking and even STOPPING in the middle of the freeway cause more accidents than I can count.

Explain that to the officer writing the citations afterword, the judge validating the citations at trial and the insurance company that dumps you shortly after conviction, then get back to me and let me know how that worked out for you. 

Running into someone ahead of you that hasn't just jumped into your lane will be YOUR fault, each and every time.  So.... yeah.  Period.

It may be wrong, at least in the moral sense of the word, but it IS what will happen. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member

I learned to drive in Nashville.  Yes, there are a few idiots on the road there, but for the real "Redneck 500", try driving in Oklahoma City!  Little Rock is almost as bad, and anywhere north of Louisville, be ready for lots of horn honking and one-finger salutes as the yamdankees go about their daily commute!

Jerry

edited March 2019 #21
    zorba said:
    zorba said:

Period.  

Explain that to the officer writing the citations afterword, the judge validating the citations at trial and the insurance company that dumps you shortly after conviction, then get back to me and let me know how that worked out for you. 

Running into someone ahead of you that hasn't just jumped into your lane will be YOUR fault, each and every time.  So.... yeah.  Period.

It may be wrong, at least in the moral sense of the word, but it IS what will happen. 
    We're not really talking about the same thing, methinks...
    But you're right, from an ethical/moral standpoint it very often is wrong - but I never confuse laws with ethics or even morals!

So no "period".

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    "No Period," is right. High speed braking is an art and a science. Before anti-lock brakes, many accidents were caused by improper braking and failure to control the vehicle through the process. Even with anti-lock brakes, too many braking incidents involve panic turns to avoid objects. No doubt tailgating is a problem, but "driving in general" has become a robotic form of transportation and very few people go through enough driving experiences to learn to handle the myriad of potential problems they will encounter.  

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    Small wonder we're being told how wonderful the world of self driving cars will be - and to a certain extent, that's correct. Too many people behind the wheel doing anything/everything except actually drive. {insert smartfone rant here}

"No Period," is right. High speed braking is an art and a science. Before anti-lock brakes, many accidents were caused by improper braking and failure to control the vehicle through the process. Even with anti-lock brakes, too many braking incidents involve panic turns to avoid objects. No doubt tailgating is a problem, but "driving in general" has become a robotic form of transportation and very few people go through enough driving experiences to learn to handle the myriad of potential problems they will encounter.  

I learned to really drive in a 1954 Chevy sedan I bought for the princely sum of $150.................at the junkyard. It ran good, and after a little work and new tires, it ran a lot better. And learning to drive on clay roads with a little gravel on them, at way too fast speeds, was a good education. Especially after a rain when you could do some drifting on that slick clay. No anti-lock brakes, no power steering, and a 'three on the tree' shifter. And NO SEAT BELTS!

Tailtgating seems to be the national pastime on city streets, state roads, and the Interstate highways. I think it's Darwin getting his pound of flesh occasionally. After getting a drivers license, most people forget everything in the driving manual and laws that they had to memorize to pass the test. Especially the part about having a blowout at 70mph, or any speed above a crawl. I've seen several wrecks over the years from people hammering the brakes when that happens. And people driving too fast in a heavy rain, aquaplaning, and hammering the brakes. Brakes are useless when you've completely lost any traction, and when you regain it, and you've probably turned the steering wheel, the poo tends to hit the rotary air mover. Seen that happen a few times, too.
    ― Douglas Adams
    The web site is buggering on me today.  It worked just fine for me yesterday.  Any time I click on an agree, like or LOL button I get this:

Javascript is enabled, and everything else here works just fine.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    our car automatically gives the set following space, don't know if I like it or not because if 
    someone pulls in front of me then goes right into a turning lane the car slows, kinda fast
    and the car in front is already out of my lane.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    I hate truck treads, nearly got me killed once.  I was on the Ohio Turnpike heading to Cleveland from the Toledo area in 1982.  I was driving a 1976 Fiat hatchback, it was winter around February / March and I was going for an Interview.  I got caught in a convoy of semi's, all passing me.  I had a rig in front of me, to the left of me and behind me, and we were all doing about 65 mph, over a bridge that spanned an area, about 75 feet in the air.  The truck in front of me blew a tread and was directly in my lane.  I had no choice but to go straight over it, because stopping was impossible, and going either left or right meant a really bad outcome. 

I went over it with a thump, and it tore out my exhaust and left a large dent in my passenger side floor.  Sometimes there are no good options.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS said:
     Sometimes there are no good options.
    That's right! I was pulling a brand new 5th wheel travel trailer when a muffler complete with about 3 feet of twisty pipe attached to it "suddenly appeared" in my lane. No chance to do anything but ride over it. The truck leapt into the air, and the trailer gave two violent shakes as its axles passed over it.
    Total damage was one flat tire on the trailer - I was lucky.
    About a week later, I was driving home from work in a Yugo. There was a jacked up 4X4 pickup in front of me with its muffler hanging right about at eye level. It was kind of bouncing up and down. I decided that I really didn't need to be behind this thing, especially since the muffler was about the same size as my car!
    Changed lanes. No sooner had I done so than the muffler fell off the truck. I remember looking out of the driver's window as I passed it - skating along the pavement with a shower of sparks. I looked in the rear view mirror and traffic was scattering behind me trying to avoid it! To this day, I'm convinced my guardian angel tapped me on the shoulder and said "Hey, watch out for this thing!".

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member
    The one that annoys the heck out of me out here is the fools who slam on their brakes on the freeway to avoid hitting a tumbleweed.... 

This time of year is the windy season here.  After a dry winter, there's plenty of dry tumbleweeds that catch the wind and roll across roads.  Since the strong winds usually blow out of the west and the freeway runs north-south in this area, the tumbleweeds frequently roll across the freeway.  And people slam on brakes and swerve like idiots trying to avoid them.  There's no reason to avoid them.  Even a 6 foot tall tumbleweed won't damage a vehicle the vast majority of the time.  The absolute worst that could happen is if the thicker base of the tumbleweed leaves a little dent, and it takes a big tumbleweed to even do that.  As soon as they are hit, they basically explode into a cloud of little sticks.  Can't tell you how many idiots I've seen almost cause major wrecks trying to avoid tumbleweeds at 75-80 MPH.

Just the other day I was driving on the freeway in my truck and saw a pickup pulling a flatbed trailer with a big round white plastic or fiberglass tank strapped down on it.  The tank looked about 6-7 feet tall and probably about the same diameter.  I was going 80 mph and saw him catching up to me in my mirror, so he had to be going closer to 90 based on how fast he was catching me.  Just as I was thinking I really didn't want to be behind this fool pulling that load at that speed, I saw the white tank lift off the trailer and start tumbling down the freeway.  A guy pulling a travel trailer behind him slammed on his brakes and just avoided hitting it, coming to a stop in the left lane.  I was expecting to see carnage as vehicles started plowing into this mess.  Then, the guy pulling the travel trailer increased the stupidity level.  He left his rig parked in the left lane of the freeway, got out and started trying to drag the tank off the road.  This is on a heavy traffic, 75 mph 6 lane freeway...  I was glad I stayed in front of that mess....  A few weeks ago a "good Samaritan" was hit and killed on the very same freeway, not more than a couple of miles from the same spot, because he stopped his car in order to help another motorist push their car off the freeway.  Why the heck the guy didn't coast his vehicle off the freeway when it died, I don't know.  But that whole mess got someone killed.

Oh, and those folks from areas where the left lane is a carpool lane or some other crap like that are the ones who can't drive out in normal America..  :o  The left lane is the passing lane.  It's used to pass, then get the heck out of it.  The ones with out of state plates who think they should drive in the left lane and get in the way will darn near get themselves run over.  Or at the very least some not so nice gestures from other drivers...  :D
    Gila said:
    The web site is buggering on me today.  It worked just fine for me yesterday.  Any time I click on an agree, like or LOL button I get this:

Javascript is enabled, and everything else here works just fine.
    The badge buttons still broken, and I just found out that my notifications button doesn't clear after I click on it.  I also tried to flag this post, and that doesn't do anything either...  :/
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,120 Senior Member
    zorba said:
     I was driving home from work in a Yugo.
    Somehow I am not surprised you had a Yugo.  :D