Definitely a negligent, and painful firearms discharge

2»

Replies

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,958 Senior Member
    I finally found a "Stupid Proof" gun.

You pull this out and while the BG's are laughing, you make a run for it!
    :D
    Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,052 Senior Member
    edited March 11 #33
    horselips said:
    Yuck it up guys. Sure the guy did a lot of things wrong, but if the weapon had an engaged positive safety, a true "off" switch, which would have prevented it from discharging if the trigger was accidentally, unintentionally, or negligently pressed, this wouldn't have happened. 

He might not have engaged it, but Hi Points do have a manually engaged safety.  It's not a firing pin blocking safety, but neither my 1911s nor my Hi Power clone have them, they only have sear blocking safeties.  Which is what a Hi Point has.

Just posting this for clarification.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,118 Senior Member
    Yep - safety right there in plain sight:
    And easier to see with this finish too! :D
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    Yessireee, Hi Points have a manually operated safety, but my point was that if it was engaged as intended, had the weapon been indeed turned 'off,' this accident would never have happened. 

People make mistakes. Poopoo happens. But is it such a hassle that when you load your weapon, and chamber a round, that you train yourself to automatically flip the safety on? That way, in case you get clumsy or forgetful later on, there's that one extra level of insulation betwixt you and disaster? As easy as it is to train yourself to engage the safety on your gun (if it has one), it's just as easy to train yourself to disengage it when circumstances warrant you drawing it for keeps. Practice, practice, practice.  

Remember, you've already memorized, and already repeat innumerable precautions when driving, cooking, or handling dangerous tools. You don't say, "when I'm in a hurry, I can't be expected to check my rear view mirrors before I change lanes." No matter how late you are, somehow you find the time and the dexterity to look before you drift. You are capable of making plenty of split-second, life or death decisions when driving, why should it be any different with your firearms? Answer - it shouldn't and it isn't. You simply make using a gun's safety an anal-retentive compulsion - on or off as appropriate - unforgettable regardless of the situation. 
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,816 Senior Member
    Safeties on a LOT of pistols can easily be disengaged by clothing when the pistol isn't carried in a holster. Shoving that pistol in his waistband with the safety on is a good way to find out the safety is no longer on. Stupidity and painful seem to coincide often in life.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,355 Senior Member
    Fake news. 

It wasn't a safety-less, striker fired pistol, so it couldn't have happened.  Remember, the only safe pistol has multiple redundant safeties that work in conjunction with one another. (insert eyeroll here)

Now, can we PLEASE get back to making fun of the dingaling what blowed off his dingaling?  The guy that used a pistol to give himself a new piss hole?  The guy that used a HiPoint to create a new low point in his life?

I got a million of 'em... where's the :tooth: emoji when you need it??
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • GilaGila Posts: 993 Senior Member

No good deed goes unpunished...
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,816 Senior Member
    If that bullet took out a 'divot' on the side, he may have bigger problems, like having to stand sideways at the urinal due to a near right angle bend. :D
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,048 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    If that bullet took out a 'divot' on the side, he may have bigger problems, like having to stand sideways at the urinal due to a near right angle bend. :D
    I have a feeling he is going to be sitting down from now on.
2»