I think I've got a valuable gun

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 10,039 Senior Member
but don't know how to sell it.  It's the 8mm commercial Mauser I posted earlier.  I looked up Pre ww 1 Mausers and found they're bringing in excess of $2K, ones that look just like mine.  Even the ones that have been molested (mine hasn't) by drilling and tapping are bringing in excess of $1K.

Did a lot of research and a lot of them look just like mine with the ID date on the receiver.

Anyone had any experience with gunbroker?  Or international guns? 
Not too many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,231 Senior Member
    Maybe you can compare how much one of the online sites gets to say putting it on consignment at a Cabelas of Basspro type gunroom.

If a freind or local acquaintance like your gunsmith or LGS owner might want it, you would get more of the selling price and devote less time to the sale. 
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,046 Senior Member
    Have you considered selling it through a gun auction company?
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,253 Senior Member
    Check out the Atlanta area for gun shops that specialize in high-end guns.  There's almost bound to be one fairly close to you, and they would probably take it in on consignment.  I believe Tennmike knows of a similar store in the Chattanooga area if memory serves me correctly- - - -one that he and Orchidman visited on one of his trips to the USA.
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,039 Senior Member
    I registered in gunbroker and I'll try there once I get some pictures taken..  Thanks for the advice.  Learned a lot of interesting things by checking pre ww 1 commercial Mausers.  Apparently, the Famou s Makers and the not so famous makers bought the actions from Mauser.  They were identical to the military versions (had the clip slot and the cutout until after ww 2) and a banner on the receiver makes a big difference.  Mine has claw mounts and a receiver sight (American made) and the stock rear sight has been removed...apparently it was a foldable two-blade rear.  Anyway, I'm eager to find out more on this fine cartridge/rifle even though it's got a splinter fore arm and kicks like a mule.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    I loaded up some (supposedly) starting loads for Woodsrunner's .318 bore Mauser sporter, using some correct-sized bullets provided by Orchidman, and that thing will back a shooter out from under his hat, also.  If you're shooting factory 8X57 ammo with .323 bullets down a .318 bore, I'll bet it really kicks!
    It's a .323 according to the info on the receiver.  It kicks because it weighs less than 8 pounds.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,727 Senior Member
    Teach, the shop in Chattanooga went out of business a few years after Orchidman's last visit. That place had a bunch of very fine rifles and shotguns for sale, though.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,698 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Teach, the shop in Chattanooga went out of business a few years after Orchidman's last visit. That place had a bunch of very fine rifles and shotguns for sale, though.
    I think they had to go out of business................they couldnt sell any of their stock cos I drooled all over everything!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,740 Senior Member
    Gene in selling it lots of high definition pictures will get you top dollar. Trying to sell yourself as a new seller will probably detract some also. My bit to try and help.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    Weatherby said:
    Gene in selling it lots of high definition pictures will get you top dollar. Trying to sell yourself as a new seller will probably detract some also. My bit to try and help.
    I agree with this.  I have sold about 1/3 of my collectioon on GB in the past year, but I have over 100 transactions.  There are a lot of difficult people.  I would suggest finding a website dedicated to Mausers and sell it there.  The Gunboards.com forum is a goodplace to sell that.  They have an active K98 forum and sale area, IMHO.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    My experience with Gunboards was not a good one when I was trying to get some value information on a collectible Mauser, one that I had a very good idea of its provenance.  The Mauser gurus there talk a good game, but when the discussion gets down to specifics on a particular rifle, they're mostly a bunch of self-appointed blowhard "experts" pretending to know what they're talking about.  The phrase "a mile wide and an inch deep" comes to mind about quite a few of them.  Be careful when dealing with them! 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,661 Senior Member
    I'll give you $30 for it!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,939 Senior Member
    Have you considered selling it through a gun auction company?
    I tend to agree with this.  If you've got something truly yummy, the better auction houses likely have folks that will help you dial in the research and price accordingly - as well as draw in the buyers who are seeking the "real stuff".  If all you have is exterior photos on Gunbroker to go by, you're going to have to know your stuff to differentiate one clip-slotted '98 from another

One of the shops I frequent recently had a gorgeous clip-slotted '98 sporter in, get this, .416 Rigby, that was built by, get this, John Rigby & Co.  What voodoo they used to shoehorn that Chrysler 426 Hemi into that Toyota Prius-sized chassis is beyond my brain power, but it goes to show what's possible and some of the marques that were involved.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

One of the big drawbacks to chambering the 98 Mauser action for cartridges much longer than a .30-06 is the amount of metal that has to be removed from the receiver feed ramp to allow cartridges to make it from the magazine to the chamber.  That area is directly behind the lower bolt locking lug, and relieving it for reliable feeding dramatically weakens the lower part of the receiver.  It's almost, but not quite the equivalent of turning the bolt/receiver relationship into a one-lug lockup like a 30-40 Krag.  Adapting the 98 to cartridges like the H&H magnums is sort of skating on thin ice, safety-wise.
    That article is in a 1997 Gundigest. I'm guessing that today most people that can afford elephant ammo would rather have a new rifle with more capacity than see a good 98' all butchered up and compromised.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,353 Senior Member
    Just remember Uncle Gene... I always loved you... dcc 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,727 Senior Member
    orchidman said:
    tennmike said:
    I think they had to go out of business................they couldnt sell any of their stock cos I drooled all over everything!
    We BOTH did! That 30-06 SxS was hard to walk away from! And so were the other double rifles and shotguns! :D

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,101 Senior Member
    edited March 4 #20
    Gene L said:
    but don't know how to sell it.  It's the 8mm commercial Mauser I posted earlier.  I looked up Pre ww 1 Mausers and found they're bringing in excess of $2K, ones that look just like mine.  Even the ones that have been molested (mine hasn't) by drilling and tapping are bringing in excess of $1K.

Did a lot of research and a lot of them look just like mine with the ID date on the receiver.

Anyone had any experience with gunbroker?  Or international guns? 
    I use GB to sell my toys.

just some unsolicited comments/hints if you want to sell. you may know and so this already, but for others.....

• do as much research on what you are selling.  there are "experts" out there that may know a bit more or alot more than you.
    • be honest on what you know and dont know.
    • i always put SOLD "AS-IS"
    • if you shot it, state so and your impressions if you remember or how well or not it shot.  for collectors that just want the gun for itself, its a no brainer, but some others may have a different idea and expectations.
    • take ALOT of pictures if you can.  Try to document (photos) all of the proof stamps, markings...ect that will help you prove what you know and what others will be looking for to judge if its what it is.
    • if you have not sold alot or any on GB and will start with a rating of 1 or < 10 or so, you may get alot of doubters on what you have or they may think its a scam if its too good to be true.  If you dont have alot of transactions then you may want to have a friend sell if they have more rating.  When i get a noob buyer, they are usually a PIA to deal with since they are impatient and dont read the add and whats required on their end to make the transaction go smooth.  Then they cant wait to get it so they may pester you on if its shipped or when it shipped, did you get their $$ and so on.  Its understandable, but it can be a drag.  or they didnt read the description or look at the photos or didnt know what they bought.
    • Everyone starts at 0, and its a hard road to walk until you get established. ITs why i give noobs a break, but some can be a pain.  Even some long time sells can be an issue too.
    • i start all of my gun auctions at 0.01.  If you know anything about auctions, GB takes on like a fact to face one.  But you can do what you want on the add.  IF you want to use a reserve, thats up to you and you will be charged for it.  They nickel/dime you for everything just like a newpaper/add or auction.  
    • If you think its rare, then i would give it as much exposure as you can on the gun site you use.  There is a search function so see how that works and if you put in "mauser" do you come out with mauser or where it searches for that word, such as in the title only or in the description.
    • If its not as a collectable as you think be prepared to not get what you think it maybe worth.  Im not a mauser collector and i only know about them and they have various stamps and were used/licensed in various countries and battles.  So its just something that you may want to keep in the back of your mind, you may not get what you think its worth.  You can go on GB and if you have a account, you can do a Past Auctions/sales search and see if anyone thats similarly has sold and for what.
    have fun

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    It's a J bore.  7.7.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,071 Senior Member
    Gun Broker's search SUCKS. Returns all kinds of results that have NOTHING to do with what you're searching for. Only started doing that fairly recently.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Well, it's at least valuable to me.  A beautiful rifle, IMO.  Can't figure out when it was made, contradictory information.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    I've been on a site called German Guns, where there are Mauser experts.  Today, I found out that the serial number indicates it's an Obendorf Mauser commercial dating back to 1909-1910.  I believe it's collectible.  It's also an I-bullet gun, I'm pretty sure. I bullet loaded ammo I couldn't find, so I ordered some bullets from Buffalo Arms.  I should be able to remove the expander ball on my 8mm and neck it down a bit, and expand it if need be with a .303 ball.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06