Who can tell me about this Mosin??

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,841 Senior Member
A friend inherited this rifle, she knew nothing about it and asked if I could identify it.

I know enough to know it's a Mosin Nagant and that since the handguard has been removed and 2 QD sling swivels installed, it's not THAT collectible.
I got this picture of what I figure are the most important markings on the receiver.
Any help would be appreciated

and one of the total receiver

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,269 Senior Member
    Star with the arrow is Russian/Soviet manufacture. Looks like a bent bolt. Is it rifle or carbine length? The 1936 date I think makes it a 91/30.
    thats about all I can glean from the pics.

sako
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,841 Senior Member
    carbine length and yes, the bolt is bent
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

This isn't the rifle in the above pics, but it looks identical to this one, with a sling swivel stud in the "front" of the stock (parallel to the barrel) and another in the butt
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/800805645

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,269 Senior Member
    As far as I know the only ones that can from the manufacture with bent bolt were 91/30 sniper models. Since the stock is bubba’d they could have done the bolt as well. Should be rifle length if it’s a 91/30 do barrel may have been cut as well. Not an expert by any stretch so that’s about all I can offer.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,095 Senior Member
    Somebody did a good job bending the bolt on it. Being a carbine probably a 91/30.
    Here's a site that will walk you through identifying exact model and maker.

Being that it is carbine length it will kick like a corn fed mule with factory ammo.

If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,224 Senior Member
    The sniper rifles had an almost 90 degree bent bolt handle.  Year is 36.  It looks to be pretty rough.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    That bolt may not be original to the rifle. Those bent bolts were sold for a good while from several companies on the internet. Southern Ohio Guns was one that sold the bent bolts for the Mosins and the 96 Mausers.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

I'm pretty sure the bolt ISN'T original, since the numbers don't match

knitepoet said:
    I'm pretty sure the bolt ISN'T original, since the numbers don't match
    With milsurps, bolts, bottom metal, and action not having matching numbers isn't uncommon. Having one with all matching numbers is sweet, though!

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,802 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    A friend inherited this rifle, she knew nothing about it and asked if I could identify it.

I know enough to know it's a Mosin Nagant and that since the handguard has been removed and 2 QD sling swivels installed, it's not THAT collectible.
    I got this picture of what I figure are the most important markings on the receiver.
    Any help would be appreciated

and one of the total receiver

It's a throw together / rearsenaled  gun.  The receiver was made at the Tula factory in 1936, which makes it pre-war era.  The pre war guns would have been "standard" length.  If it is shorter, it was recut by someone .  The sniper guns were all longer, not shorter, as well.  Sniper rifles have a cut out of the stock on the left side of the bolt to accommodate the PU scope mount.  This one does not.  Some stocks have a wood block repair to fill it in, but this one does not appear to have that either.   It's a shooter grade gun at best.  Since the bolt number does not match the receiver, I would have the head space checked just in case.  The barrel might have been cut down because it was worn.  It's best use, in my opinion, once the headspace is verified, is as a field gun without optics.  Under 50 yards, decent ammo, it is every bit as effective as a .308.   The bore might be .310, to 3.13 depending on wear.  The pre war guns had better barrels, but this gun could be a lot of things...
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,539 Senior Member
    I can't tell you anything about the Mosin, but I'm glad to see you posting.  I just started a thread in clubhouse asking about you in regards to that tornado.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Thank you Dan

Thank you too Jerry, pretty good ways from here, I actually didn't know about them until Centermass messaged me on FB Sunday asking if I was okay. They were in the Montgomery TV market, so not even a crawl across the screen about the storms from the B'ham market, which covers this part of the state too.