6.5 PRC. Is it gaining popularity or going to die?

WORLD TWORLD T MemberPosts: 262 Member
edited March 5 in General Firearms #1
What do you guys think of this caliber? Is it here to stay or going to fade away? I have several 6.5 Creedmoor rifles. Just looking at something new. 

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,939 Senior Member
    First heard of it right now when I saw your thread.  Apparently introduced something like 8-10 months ago if the online article dates covering it are any indicator?  Seems like a case of still-birth - though the round appears to have some merits.

I've expressed elsewhere my thoughts that the legacy of the .308 Winchester is a massive ball and chain that's holding us back, and these recent 6.5mm Wonder Rounds are a good example of why.  The .308 was designed to fill a military need and fit an autoloading military rifle intended for one particular purpose in 1950. . .and now we've got all these too-short bolt actions that we're trying to cram all these extra-long, NASA-inspired, plastic-tipped, aerodynamically-slippery bullets into - all while trying to get the powder charge of an H&H-family belted magnum in behind it.  The .284 Winchester ran into this wall - great round for a long bolt action with the bullet seated way out; marketed in an excessively short lever action with the bullet shoved back into the powder chamber.  Similar problems going on now with the fascination to cram the performance of _______ into the even smaller AR-15 mag well. 

Rather than try to ride to Mars on a bottle rocket, shouldn't we just dust off the Saturn V booster blueprints and get serious about the matter?  We have .30-06-length actions that we could be doing this kind of stuff in and getting better results.  If that's too long for your liking, we had 7x57 and 8x57-based actions well before that (and can have them again).

The answer to the question "What fits in a .308-length action?" is turning out to be "Not enough".
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,410 Senior Member
    edited March 6 #3
    Personally, I love new cartridges. But I don't see this 1 gaining any traction. Too close to the 6.5 Creed which already has a HUGE foothold. It a wildcat that they are trying to make popular when others do better.
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 426 Member
    I don’t know about the 6.5 prc. I think the 300prc will make it. I have about 400 pieces of 375 ruger brass and about 600 pieces of 416 ruger brass so I think I see one In my future. 
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Guessing it will make it.  Hornady does a great job with support and marketing.  It is  similar to the 6.5 SAUM/Gap and the 6.5 WSM/Leopard.  With factory ammo, it should do good.  I doubt it will ever be as popular as the Creed though.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"