Not the Arizona I know

sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior MemberPosts: 1,645 Senior Member

Phoenix has grown by leaps and bounds. I was about 100 miles South for four and a half months at Ft. Huachuca. United States Army Intelligence Center and School (USAICS) July through November 1978. At that time Arizona was mostly conservative. Currently it seems we need to rescue our Children and Grandchildren from the "liberal progressive dare I say communist" school districts. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/parents-say-students-at-arizona-school-were-told-to-remove-maga-gear-one-was-suspended/ar-BBUiRU2?li=BBnb7Kz

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,762 Senior Member
    Administrators don't want anything inflammatory including professional sports clothing worn on campus.

The argument of distraction comes to mind. Fear of liability and/or extra work attending disputes is the biggest cause of such policies I imagine.

One could argue first amendment and/or patriotism, but anyone arguing that is not likely employed at the school with the attendant responsibilities of such employment.
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,135 Senior Member
    Near as I can tell, the problem is not the natives, it is those who have moved here after screwing up their own states to the point they can't live there any more.  Then there are the snowbirds...

BTW, Tucson is the worst offender, followed by the Phoenix metro area.  Also is the known voter fraud which no one will investigate.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,809 Senior Member
    edited March 6 #4
    Here we go again: "In the first place, God created idiots. That was for practice. Then He created school boards." --Mark Twain
    And by inference, school administrators of all types. If my kid were suspended over crap like this, I'd give them a "distraction" all right - and it wouldn't be a demand for an apology, it would be a demand for their immediate resignation.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,831 Senior Member
    As a middle school teacher,  I can tell you that I don't want ANY hat brought to school. I don't care who or what it supports . They can't be worn indoors so the kids have to carry them all the time. They leave them in a room then have to go get it. Or another  kid grabs it and plays takeaway. ALL hat's are a PITA.
    Administrators don't want anything inflammatory including professional sports clothing worn on campus.

Yeah, ... riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
    You got kids in school???
    Mine's not allowed to wear certain clothing. Not my rules, theirs. If you don't think political attire can be inflammatory and lead to problems that distract from learning Id like to hear your perspective????
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,809 Senior Member
    "Distract" has been used by idiot school admins for decades for anything/everything they don't like. Its shullbit. Back in my day, it was used to attempt to prevent girls from wearing pants to school - *THAT* lasted about 3 weeks until the next school board meeting.
    No hats? You might get me behind that if that's what's really enforced. Of course, if the kids could wear them indoors instead of adhering to a meaningless social convention, they wouldn't be quite the problem. Just sayin'. Mindless Conformity to Meaningless Convention.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,645 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    "Distract" has been used by idiot school admins for decades for anything/everything they don't like. Its shullbit. Back in my day, it was used to attempt to prevent girls from wearing pants to school - *THAT* lasted about 3 weeks until the next school board meeting.
    No hats? You might get me behind that if that's what's really enforced. Of course, if the kids could wear them indoors instead of adhering to a meaningless social convention, they wouldn't be quite the problem. Just sayin'. Mindless Conformity to Meaningless Convention.

The school's Spirit Day theme was 'Party in the USA'. Obviously these students chose the wrong party.
    We dont know that examples of liberal politics have been allowed at that school.

Some professional sportswear and certain colors are associated with gangs. My son's school has dress code rules exclusive of such clothing.

A campus full of adolescents is a potential panacea of chaos. Political discourse in this country has become volatile. Allowing pertinent discourse in a classroom is not the same as billboard campaigning on campus. I would not want to be a teacher or administrator being forced to deal with that. And furthermore I'm not inclined to force that responsibility on someone else.
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,135 Senior Member
    The school in question is in Gilbert, AZ, which has been overtaken by the Phoenix metroplex.  Gilbert was once a farm town in a rural area.  The solution is to fix the school board, if the residents have the guts to do so...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    Just for the record, I don't condone suspensions for many of the things to wich they're applied, including this.

The immediate reach for punitive action by those in authority IMO sets a bad example to adolescents and young adults. If we want to have future adults with people skills, we have to act like people with them.