Is it too early to talk about the SE shoot?

FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior MemberPosts: 5,543 Senior Member
That's at least one topic that doesn't stir any debate and the date is comming up quickly.
Who's comming, what are the food plans, what cool guns are you bringing, the usual stuff.
snake284 wrote: »
For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,897 Senior Member
    As of now, I am going to play Legionnaire that weekend.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,543 Senior Member
    Dang Ned, it won't be the same without you. Can Judy at least come?
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,897 Senior Member
    Dang Ned, it won't be the same without you. Can Judy at least come?
    Clean is the President of our Auxiliary
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,662 Senior Member
    edited March 7 #5
    Unless something changes, I won't be attending either.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,725 Senior Member
    Well crap, I was of a mind to try and make it this year, not that I would not come because of Paul and NN not making it, but they are definite reasons I want to come and visit.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • GilaGila Posts: 987 Senior Member
    Where and when does this take place?
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,252 Senior Member
    With the extra week of leisure time gained by not hunting any more, Im contemplating a 2020 trip. I have several complications to work out. I may not be able to rejuggle time with my son or justify a seperation from him. We'll see.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,092 Senior Member
    I can't commit 100% as yet, but will "probably" be there - if it happens. We usually start discussing it a bit earlier than this...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    If my wife and step kids get green cards by then the wife and I will be there.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Gila said:

Memorial Day weekend at Teaches place in Tennessee. It's about 14 miles north of the Alabama line and just off of I-65.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,054 Senior Member
    Someone might want to check with Jerry first. I talked with him in email about it, and he said he's not sure he can do it this year. He may have changed his position in last 2 weeks, but that's the last I heard.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Someone might want to check with Jerry first. I talked with him in email about it, and he said he's not sure he can do it this year. He may have changed his position in last 2 weeks, but that's the last I heard.
    I did not know this, now I am really sorry, life is too busy for sure
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,259 Senior Member

After getting censored, and then publicly chastised for calling out a troll, I came very close to puling the plug on my participation in this forum.  That issue isn't totally resolved yet, but the shoot is still a possibility.  There are a few concerns that need to be addressed, however.  Since last year's shoot, Mary has had some health issues that are going to limit her ability to act as a hostess, and particularly to set up the house for the mid day meal as we have done for close to 15 years.  It's been suggested that we might set up some serving tables outside this time around, and minimize the amount of re-arranging that the kitchen, dining room, etc. requires.  Comments and suggestions on this would be welcomed. 

Second, and quite important- - - - -Does the term "hardware disease" ring any bells to those of our group not familiar with raising livestock- - - -cattle in particular?  Cows are dumb as a box of rocks- - - -while grazing or eating hay, they will swallow just about anything- - - -pieces of wire, bolts and nuts that fall off farm equipment, and also firearm brass!  That stuff can do major damage to a cow's innards, resulting in infection, bloating, and sometimes death.  Since the field where we shoot is also cut and baled for hay, lots of that brass that gets left behind ends up getting baled, and probably eaten.  Roger, my neighbor who does such a great job of cutting our shooting range, raises beef cattle, and a lot of the hay he feeds comes from our place.  Since he's doing me a favor by keeping the pastures cut so I don't have to run a bush-hog, I give him the hay.  If he loses a beef calf, (or maybe several) because they ingest brass that nobody bothers to police up, we might end up shooting over waist-high grass one of these years!

Since few, if any of the mutual admiration society that seems to be the only people posting on the forum any more have ever attended the shoot, it would be grossly unfair to the real people who do come if I shut it down over some bruised feelings.  The posers and bloviating keyboard jockeys who have never had the manhood to show up in person over the past 15 years can keep on doing what they do- - - - -the real people who are willing to put a name and a face out there for all to see are welcome anytime- - - -whether there's a formal get-together or not.  Let's get busy doing some planning!

How about leaving the attitude cases that have almost ruined this site at home- - - -and doing a better job of brass control? 

Jerry

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,092 Senior Member
    I know the mid-day meal is a cherished tradition - I've certainly enjoyed it and the camaraderie. BUT - if its getting to be too much, folks can pack in their own food as but one option. Does Domino's deliver out there (said tongue in cheek)?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    I for one would have no problem bringing my own lunch. The hotel restaurant makes some pretty decent burgers and sandwiches. This of course would not be anywhere near as good as the food at the past luncheons, but to make things easier on everyone I would be willing to do it. That would probably save me from eating way more than I should anyway, like I do at other "all you can eat" buffets. :p
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    Last year we had enough of the portable awnings to almost cover the width of the firing line and it shouldn't be a problem to bring a few down to the house for lunch. If Jerm is still comming, between he and I we should have enough folding tables also. As for the brass issue, I've noticed over the years that most of the brass gets tossed in a 10 to 12 foot wide swath at the firing line and since we had a hay barn built last year I have a large supply of the tarps that we used to use to cover the hay. I'd be glad to cut them down to line the firing line. I eaasily have enough to line the width of the firing line to a depth of 15 feet which should contain the greater majority of the brass. The awnings, lawnchairs, gun cases, and even a handfull of bricks should be more than adequate to keep them pinned down and these are weathered and worn tarps so they're not shiny and slippery.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    Last year we had enough of the portable awnings to almost cover the width of the firing line and it shouldn't be a problem to bring a few down to the house for lunch. If Jerm is still comming, between he and I we should have enough folding tables also. As for the brass issue, I've noticed over the years that most of the brass gets tossed in a 10 to 12 foot wide swath at the firing line and since we had a hay barn built last year I have a large supply of the tarps that we used to use to cover the hay. I'd be glad to cut them down to line the firing line. I eaasily have enough to line the width of the firing line to a depth of 15 feet which should contain the greater majority of the brass. The awnings, lawnchairs, gun cases, and even a handfull of bricks should be more than adequate to keep them pinned down and these are weathered and worn tarps so they're not shiny and slippery.
    I have a very low likelihood of making it this year, from Oregon, but I certainly wish you well and hope this comes off.  The idea of 10x10 awnings and folding tables out in front of Jerry's is exactly what I was going to suggest .   Tarps for brass is also an  excellent idea. Jerry and Mary have been saints to offer their place and provide for everyone over the years, and it certainly is reasonable for us to give back.  Even from here, I hope I can at least contribute something. Thank you to both Jerry and Mary and everyone that has contributed in the past.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,981 Senior Member
    I hope Mrs Mary gets better soon o:)
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,768 Senior Member
    Jerry, I bought three horse pooper scoopers that have the teeth set at 1/4" gap between the teeth. I've tried them out in my hayfield picking up brass and they do a good job. Just need two more 'voluntold' folks to man the other two. The only thing they won't pick up is .22 LR. And brass catchers for those high volume semiauto brass slingers are CHEAP so that would be a help, also. That would just leave the pistola brass, mostly, to pick up and I think I have that covered with the pooper scoopers.

One suggestion for the firing line that would make it even more easy to pick up brass would be to mow a swath about 16 feet wide with a lawn mower to cut the grass shorter than the hay mower does. This would also facilitate picking up the stray brass. If ya want, I can cart my mower over there and do that; I have the trailer so that won't be a problem if you want me to do that.

The tables set up outside for the noon meal makes a LOT of sense, and doesn't require Mary to have to work so hard fixing up the house for the influx of way too many people in too small a space. I have two tables I can bring to set stuff on for that. If a few more bring tables (Walmart sells them, and they are on sale now) then we'd be covered in that area. And BYOC (Bring Your Own Chair) and THAT is covered. I'm all for making it light on Mary and you; this should disrupt y'all as little as possible.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

With half a dozen horses, I've got a mile or two driving a pooper scooper pitchfork and think picking up the corners of a tarp is much easier and a tarp will catch everything.
    With half a dozen horses, I've got a mile or two driving a pooper scooper pitchfork and think picking up the corners of a tarp is much easier and a tarp will catch everything.
    That would be a good idea using tarps, except for the fact that SOME of the semiautos sling brass into the next zip code. Tarps would be just fine IF the brass slingers had a brass catcher attached to them. Pistols aren't the problem; it's the ARs and AKs, and I know that from picking up brass every year but last year. They sling brass far and wide like a manure spreader.
    It would be really simple to catch ALL the brass from the semiautos and confine it to one small area IF vertical tarps were set up and the semiautos were confined to shooting in that area.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

A couple of test fires and tarp placement would be solved, we use them all of the time when we shoot in sand pits up north just to keep the brass some cleaner. I also have a pop up shelter and a folding table.
    In the past, I always leave my targets until Sunday morning and when I go up to pick them up, I also spend quite a bit of time collecting brass for myself. Lots of guns sling their brass pretty far but I usually see most of the brass in a 10 to 12 foot wide swath from the firing line. Few guns throw brass straight forward or backward. Once the tarps are picked up, Mike can rake whatever is left.
  • GilaGila Posts: 987 Senior Member
    Gila said:

Memorial Day weekend at Teaches place in Tennessee. It's about 14 miles north of the Alabama line and just off of I-65.
    Thanks for the heads up.  I'll have to ponder that a bit.  That's quite a drive from Arizona (over 1500 miles), plus I normally participate in VFW activities on Memorial Day.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    In the past, I always leave my targets until Sunday morning and when I go up to pick them up, I also spend quite a bit of time collecting brass for myself. Lots of guns sling their brass pretty far but I usually see most of the brass in a 10 to 12 foot wide swath from the firing line. Few guns throw brass straight forward or backward. Once the tarps are picked up, Mike can rake whatever is left.
    Ummmm.........................No! Police your own brass! :D :D :D :D

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,353 Senior Member
    Being that this is the first year in 10 years I won't be working that holiday, I had actually planned to make it for a day... Hope it comes to fruition. 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,259 Senior Member

Recently, I did some horsetrading and wound up with a big zero-turn mower that needs a little TLC to get it into good condition.  I had already planned on giving the firing line area a close haircut, once Roger gets the hay cut and baled.  I'll definitely be doing the usual pulled pork BBQ and buffalo chicken drumsticks and thighs at lunch, so as long as we can figure out a way to set things up out in the yard, I don't see a need to make it a "bring your own lunch" event.  Everybody enjoys sampling the home-cooked specialties folks bring, so if we can come up with a minimum of adjustment about how we go about doing lunch, let's not throw out the baby with the bath water!  

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,352 Senior Member
    I haven't attended the shoot in the past, so maybe I'm unqualified to comment, but in reading Jerry's post it doesn't seem to me that there is a shortage in ideas of how this might get done... it seems more likely this is an 80/20 problem.  80% of the work is being done by 20% of the people.  

Policing up brass is a pain.  We all know this.  But, it needs to be done.  Tarps are great - and should catch most of the brass - but it won't catch it all.  Leaving some behind is no longer an option.  This may be the first year I'm able to attend (maybe) and, if that's the case, I hope I'll be able to say it was not the last... which is a likely outcome if the 80% won't step up. 

"Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    It seems like the shoot might be happening. Maybe the Mods could put a sticky on this thread to keep it on the top.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    I haven't attended the shoot in the past, so maybe I'm unqualified to comment, but in reading Jerry's post it doesn't seem to me that there is a shortage in ideas of how this might get done... it seems more likely this is an 80/20 problem.  80% of the work is being done by 20% of the people.  

Policing up brass is a pain.  We all know this.  But, it needs to be done.  Tarps are great - and should catch most of the brass - but it won't catch it all.  Leaving some behind is no longer an option.  This may be the first year I'm able to attend (maybe) and, if that's the case, I hope I'll be able to say it was not the last... which is a likely outcome if the 80% won't step up. 

None of the problems are major. Two or three of the 12'x12' canopies and a couple of folding tables will take care of serving lunch outside and the issue with the brass is a matter of participation and cooperation. Jerry has been pointing out the issue with the brass for years and although everyone agrees to pick up cases, those of us that handload or shoot inordinary calibers are the only ones that do so. A lot of people just spray and walk away. If we quit shooting a little earlier before people start leaving the range and have an organized brass cleanup it might actually get done.