Is it too early to talk about the SE shoot?

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    It seems like the shoot might be happening. Maybe the Mods could put a sticky on this thread to keep it on the top.
    Not sure how to go about that anymore....used to be simple..now, not so much...made the thread an announcement, but that doesn't seem to do the trick....sorry
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,056 Senior Member
    Let me think on this a bit. Lunch outside is easy. No problem at all. Brass.... that should be a non issue this year. Again-- just active policing and a little foresight will solve that.

I won't be taking my trailer or blue truck down this year. Both are out of commission and are being transformed. Blue truck is getting a dump bed and the trailer is getting outfitted with a pooper, hand wash sink, holding tanks, and shelving to service my food truck. And no... I am not driving a food truck down! I will either be bringing my wife's Traverse or the stake truck.

Things have been, and will continue to be crazy for me for awhile. My son will be graduating from high school this spring, I am in the process of building a food truck, a commercial prep kitchen and expect to start building the distillery in the next few months. Plus I have to serve my regular clients with the construction company.

Anyway, let me think about what I can do to help out.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,727 Senior Member
    Do you plan on attending Jerm?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    edited March 9 #35
    Yes.

I just want everyone to consider right now the best way they can attend while minimizing the burden on Jerry, Mary, and their daughter Debbie. Many hands make light work so everyone bringing their pop up canopies was awesome last year. This year, we will need some more folding tables brought in. Everyone that brought some slabs of ribs were a huge help too.... things like that really add up and make it go smoother. 
    Has the hotel block been set up?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I am sure Jerry will get that set up with Nick over at the Motel 6.
    edited March 9 #38
    Saturday evening... I am going to assume that Fishead will be doing his shrimp and Debbie doing her ribs again. If so, I will do smelt again and bring a cold side dish-- most likely a pasta salad since I got a commercial pasta maker coming to me in the next couple of weeks. Between the ribs, shrimp, and smelt plus the potatoes Steve always makes, and a pasta salad... Saturday evening dinner should be covered as long as we collectively got the ribs, tables, and canopies set up. Cooking isn't a big deal. Doing the setup, cooking, then cleanup and tear down becomes a burden.

Friday at the motel... If I do something there, I need to keep it more compact and quick this year. Probably a hotdog stand, but unless you have visited Flint, Michigan often, nothing like you have ever seen or eaten before (in a good way).
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,545 Senior Member
    I'll bring my two burner gas stove as usual and a frypot with a basket so you won't have to bring anything but the oil and smelt to take care of that. I'll make the obligatory shrimp, corn, and potatoes for dinner and possibly some grilled boudin for lunch. That seemed to go pretty quick last time I made it. I'll probably bring a smoked mackeral dip and shrimp dip for lunch also.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,545 Senior Member
    Jerm, now that Debbie's retired, we can get there much earlier on Friday if my gas cooker would help with whatever you decide to cook since you'll be limited in space. I've got the boilpot, a frypot, and I recall you or Joe having a huge skillet that worked on it.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    edited March 9 #41
    If we use a fry pot for the smelt, I can leave the fryer home. For a hot dog stand, I got a smaller table top griddle I can use and a plug in countertop steam table plus a crock pot and I got that covered. None of it takes up very much space. If somebody wants to use any of that for lunch on Saturday, they are welcome to it.

I talked to Woodsrunner last night and he is sending me up some more corn meal. I am going to turn it into corn flour and I have found a way to make that into corn pasta. I will have samples of it for everyone to take home (and sauce, and Jerm's Bum Wine) plus I intend to make a pasta salad of some sort with it-- I always try to bring something "Michigan" down every year and make something featuring Bumpy Road Farms cornmeal. With the hotdogs/coneys and corn pasta, I got those two bases covered.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,268 Senior Member

I've got a brand new turkey fryer, still new in the box, that I bought just to get the burner for projects like heating a hot water bluing tank, etc.  Anyone who needs to use the pot, the burner, or both is welcome to it.  I don't have any fry oil, however.  There's also a nearly new 4-burner gas grill available here. 

If anyone who is in touch with the growing number of site "refugees" on the social media sites that I refuse to participate in, please extend an invitation from us to come on by.  That bunch seems to be growing every day, either "banned" people, or those who are just bone-tired of all the controversy and censorship.

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,816 Senior Member
    I have two canopies, one for the firing line, and the other can  be set up in the yard and later at the evening gathering. I also need a couple of folding tables for my use here, so I'll pick them up at Wallyworld and bring them. That will make three tables I can bring. I'll get a couple of racks of ribs, also.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

edited March 10 #44
    The cheap trick with ribs... watch your sales and when they are on sale, grab a couple slabs (spare ribs and baby backs are both ok-- some people prefer one over another while I love both.) Anyway, buy them on sale in the cryovac, and put them in your freezer between now and then. When you are getting ready to head there and pack your cooler, use the ribs for ice packs. It will keep your stuff cold for the trip. Hand them off to Jerry or Debbie when you get there and top off your cooler with the free ice at Motel 6.

I got 2 slabs in my freezer already waiting for Memorial Day weekend.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,062 Senior Member
    I could bring soft drinks and plastic cups for the luncheon and if anything is left over, bring it to the Bonfire party. I just need suggestions for what to bring. 2 liter bottles would probably be the most convenient container for me to bring.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Bottled water seems to be in the highest demand over sodas. Or since Ned and Clean may not make it this year, we could use a volunteer for paper products/disposables.
    edited March 10 #47
    Bottled water seems to be in the highest demand over sodas. Or since Ned and Clean may not make it this year, we could use a volunteer for paper products/disposables.
    You mean like plates, napkins, cups, bowls and plastic eating ware? I can bring water and iced tea too. I was thinking 2 liter bottles, but smaller ones would probably be more convenient.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,353 Senior Member
    I'll bring the dynamite so we can go fishing in the creek... 

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    It would be hard to estimate the tonnage of Tannerite that's been lit off on that hillside since Buffy did a double-take and looked at his rifle in amazement after the first time it happened! 
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    Teach said:
    It would be hard to estimate the tonnage of Tannerite that's been lit off on that hillside since Buffy did a double-take and looked at his rifle in amazement after the first time it happened! 
    I would have LOVED to have seen that! 

But distance is an issue for me.  It takes me 5 hours just to clear Colorados border, and I live in darn near the center of the state. Once you hit the western border of Kansas, the trip's just started. Then, you've gotta do it in reverse a day or so later. And work allows only so much vacation time, and the wife usually reserves a substantial chunk of that.

Could fly, of course, but then multiple guns become a huge hassle.

Post pics.....for those of us that can be there only in spirit.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    Don't worry about bringing guns. There will be more there than you can ever shoot in a day. Get your plane ticket now.

The closest good-sized airport is Huntsville Alabama, but connections and ticket prices will probably be better to Nashville.  There's only about a 30-mile difference between the two.  Either way, getting picked up and dropped off again for the return trip shouldn't be a problem.  There's always somebody available to do a little taxi service.  If there's less than 200 guns available to play with, I'd really be surprised.

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    The cheap trick with ribs... watch your sales and when they are on sale, grab a couple slabs (spare ribs and baby backs are both ok-- some people prefer one over another while I love both.) Anyway, buy them on sale in the cryovac, and put them in your freezer between now and then. When you are getting ready to head there and pack your cooler, use the ribs for ice packs. It will keep your stuff cold for the trip. Hand them off to Jerry or Debbie when you get there and top off your cooler with the free ice at Motel 6.

I got 2 slabs in my freezer already waiting for Memorial Day weekend.
    Let me add, pre cook them in a slow cooker for 7.5 hours on low.  This will make them still "not falling apart" condition.  Freeze them in the bags and let them thaw on the way.  Reheat on the grill and sauce.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,467 Senior Member
    I have only made two shoots, but I bet less than 1/2 the guns are even shot. And if everyone shot all of the ammo they brought......

Just bring yourself. 
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Teach said:
    I would have LOVED to have seen that! 

But distance is an issue for me.  It takes me 5 hours just to clear Colorados border, and I live in darn near the center of the state. Once you hit the western border of Kansas, the trip's just started. Then, you've gotta do it in reverse a day or so later. And work allows only so much vacation time, and the wife usually reserves a substantial chunk of that.

Could fly, of course, but then multiple guns become a huge hassle.

Post pics.....for those of us that can be there only in spirit.

Mike
    I think we would all be ecstatic to get some pictures with you and improvised shooting rests, fly and we will bring what you want to shoot.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,870 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    I have only made two shoots, but I bet less than 1/2 the guns are even shot. And if everyone shot all of the ammo they brought......

Just bring yourself. 
    You coming this year??
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,816 Senior Member
    Teach said:
    I got about 40 lbs. of the Tannerite fixings. And some bigger containers. Fewer booms, but they will still work out to a lot. 16 oz water bottles equate to about 2 lbs each.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,467 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:

Just bring yourself. 
    You coming this year??
    Hard to tell. I am at the bottom of seniority list again. If anyone else took off that day. I won't get it.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    Well one way to keep brass from flinging is bring revolvers if you have them. Bolt rifles too. Easy to police up the brass. 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    I have a brass catcher for my AR, but it is mediocre in catching all of it. I will try it and see how it works.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,740 Senior Member
    Teach said:

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270