Taxes are done

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 15,061 Senior Member
Took all of 20 minutes and we are paying less than half of what we normally pay...
Thank you Mr. President...
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,351 Senior Member
    My "take home" refund went down a good bit...

...but I sold quite a bit of my mutual fund holdings to put a down payment the farm that we bought, so...  Capital gains tax is a **** (even the long term variety).
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,605 Senior Member
    edited March 8 #3
    I have zero idea as to whether or not the latest tax code worked for, or against me as so much is different for me for 2018 as compared to previous years. With that said, I can't complain about the outcome.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 735 Senior Member
    We benefitted some from the changes but was most impressed by the speed this year. My wife did ours using TaxAct online and we received our refund eleven days after filing. 

Hawk
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,248 Senior Member
    hawk18 said:
    We benefitted some from the changes but was most impressed by the speed this year. My wife did ours using TaxAct online and we received our refund eleven days after filing. 

Hawk
    That is who I have been using for the last several years and that speed is normal for them.
    Finally got my wife's last W-2 (mailman put it in a neighbor's mailbox) so I will be doing taxes tomorrow.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,430 Senior Member
    edited March 9 #6
    Our return was almost cut in half, but we got more in our paychecks. We don't rely on tax returns so it was a wash.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,061 Senior Member
    Because we don't believe in giving the government interest free loans we don't get refunds...
    I withhold from my DoD retirement but not from my Social Security so we always pay, but we paid a lot less this year...
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Using Turbo Tax, I got fined $80 for not claiming enough withholding on one of my retirements. Never saw that before. 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 141 Member
    Still waiting on the accountant.  Filing for 2 businesses and our personal.  Usually don’t get ours until the deadline.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,061 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    Using Turbo Tax, I got fined $80 for not claiming enough withholding on one of my retirements. Never saw that before. 
    Never heard of that either...
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Finally got the forms in the mail
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,605 Senior Member
    Mailed my crap off today - I'm done except for paying the accountant.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 282 Member
    I have to go get my taxes done with my soon to be ex wife.  I'm sure it will be a blast.  We've always gotten a large chunk and since our son was born last year he will add to it.  I'm looking foward to it so much!  
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19