Ok this is interesting! KS-47

alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior MemberPosts: 8,574 Senior Member
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-ks-47-8-5-pistol-length-7-62x39-nitride-7-lightweight-m-lok-moe-ept-sba3-pistol.html

PSA has developed their own AR/AK hybrid. I think I like it, at least in this configuration. Would like to see some reviews, hear how they work for a bit first, but if it's reliable seems like it could be a decent upgrade over the classic AK. Only negative is the AR buffer tube precludes folding stocks, but in a pistol configuration like this it's still quite small and handy. 

"Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
-DoctorWho

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,451 Senior Member
    edited March 8 #2
    Nice that you can drop in an aftermarket AR trigger........ never felt  decent AK trigger.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,727 Senior Member
    I have a7.62x39 carbine length PSA upper on an AR lower. It works just fine with the right magazines. I could buy a pistol length upper for it, but why? The carbine with the collapsible stock is danged short as it is when collapsed to the last notch. And I get more velocity with a carbine length barrel.

Buying an upper and mags for an undesignated AR lower is a lot cheaper. Just my 2 cents.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,939 Senior Member
    Would be curious to learn how an AR DI gas system does with cheap surplus AK ammo blasting its filth into the upper.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug said:
    Would be curious to learn how an AR DI gas system does with cheap surplus AK ammo blasting its filth into the upper.

It will stop that gas tube up pretty quick on my regular AR15 7.62x39 upper. Within 100-150 rounds you notice things not going right, like ejection. And cleaning the crud out of the upper and bolt is a pain. Like baked on charcoal dust. The gas tube gets the works, as in mass quantities of brake cleaner and loooooooooong pipe cleaners. I save the cheap surplus AK ammo for the Chinese SKS; it chokes it down just fine and doesn't take much to clean it up. My AR upper only  gets quality commercial or handloaded ammo because it's a drama queen otherwise.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    What about Wolf steel-cased and its like, Mike?

I was thinking about building a x39 AR upper, but now I'm leaning AK or piston AR upper...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,574 Senior Member
    Good point on AR gas system. Not much point to an AK style if you can't run cheap Russian crap through it. Sounds like wouldn't be nearly reliable enough. 
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,719 Senior Member
    By the time you buy an upper and an AK magazine compatible lower(not doing so seems dumb to me) you could just buy an AK which is designed to shoot AK ammo for about the same amount of money.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,939 Senior Member
    edited March 9 #9
    Good point on AR gas system. Not much point to an AK style if you can't run cheap Russian crap through it. Sounds like wouldn't be nearly reliable enough. 
    Well, yeah. . .

The constant "Which is better - the M16 or the AK?" comparison to me has always seemed a lot like asking "Which is better - the Ferrari F430 or the Toyota Land Cruiser".

If you've got a good driver/mechanic that understands his maintenance, then yes, the F430 is going to be much more responsive to your driving input.  If, OTOH, your driver has a learner's permit, maybe saw a wrench on TV once, and is filling the gas tank with high octane hangover pee, it becomes a very different story.

An AR in 7.62x39 seems a lot like trying to run a Ferrari on hangover pee.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

I was thinking about building a x39 AR upper, but now I'm leaning AK or piston AR upper...
    Wolf steel case and the like is same-same. It just takes a little longer to stop up the gas tube. Seriously, if ANY company wants to offer a 3.62x39 AR upper then they really need to copy the gas system of the AK/SKS platform to make reliability a reality. Shooting anything but clean burning powder in an AR is asking for trouble. THAT lesson was learned in the M16 in Nam when ammo manufacturers went from stick to ball powder to meet the velocity requirements. The ball powder was just NASTY with the residue, and we lost a lot of guys because they had a freakin' single shot rifle because of the crud buildup malfunctions.

If you build one, get the parts for the piston actuated upper. Costs more but will keep you from saying bad words.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,253 Senior Member
    I've never heard of a powder-related stoppage of a Mauser, an 03 Springfield, an Enfield, or even a French Lebel.  Those rifles also fired full-grown rounds that were effective at ranges that glorified pistol cartridges can only dream about achieving.  Maybe the guys who designed them knew something about combat in an environment less pristine than an operating room!
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    tennmike said:

Wolf steel case and the like is same-same. It just takes a little longer to stop up the gas tube. Seriously, if ANY company wants to offer a 3.62x39 AR upper then they really need to copy the gas system of the AK/SKS platform to make reliability a reality. Shooting anything but clean burning powder in an AR is asking for trouble. THAT lesson was learned in the M16 in Nam when ammo manufacturers went from stick to ball powder to meet the velocity requirements. The ball powder was just NASTY with the residue, and we lost a lot of guys because they had a freakin' single shot rifle because of the crud buildup malfunctions.

If you build one, get the parts for the piston actuated upper. Costs more but will keep you from saying bad words.
    Point taken. Sad thing is, from what I can tell getting a decent, functional AK is harder and more expensive than a comparable AR. Same with an SKS.
    Overkill is underrated.
    tennmike said:

Point taken. Sad thing is, from what I can tell getting a decent, functional AK is harder and more expensive than a comparable AR. Same with an SKS.
    Is there brands, country of manufacture, or configurations to avoid? I have not seen any with my friends or cousins that had any function issues in that limited sampling.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I've read and watched videos saying that Century's are bad. Like getting dangerous headspace in a three thousand rounds (way short of the realistic service life of an AK.)

Overkill is underrated.
    edited March 9 #15
    OK, thanks. All I have shot have been Chinese, Romanian, or Russian
    From poking around the Russians seem best, Chinese are good to great, and Romanians function well, just issues with things like canted front sight bases. 
    Overkill is underrated.
    Obama stopped a lot of importations of AMERICAN M1 carbines, M1 Garands, and Chinese and COMBLOC AK and SKS rifles and shiploads of ammo while he was president, and those restrictions are still pretty much in place. Before then you could buy a SKS or AK for cheap. There are some American made AKs that are quality product, but the reworks being sold by some sellers are an accident waiting for a place to happen. The few American made AKs are higher by a LOT than an AR. Machining vs. 'tinker toy' assembly causes that price disparity.