Formal Wear, and how to do concealed carry

KMT2KMT2 MemberPosts: 295 Member
edited March 9 in Personal Defense #1
MOst of the time I am doing an owb, but today with the wearing of a kilt, I am wondering how to deal with it.
 The Shoulder holster rig just seem to be a bit off and not very comfortable to wear. Haven't used it since Jayhawker gave it to me.
SO I'm considering either the owb or my smaller one in the sporran. any Thoughts.
If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,647 Senior Member
    Maybe Zorba will lend you his thigh holster....  :D
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 327 Member
    When I would suit up, it was usually for church.  People tended to be 
    huggy, touchy freely types. Owb strong side just got felt up too much for my liking, or sometimes the coat would billow.  I bought one of the compression conceal carry shirts.  Don’t remember the brand.  For that application it worked well.  Left one button undone under the tie, and had quick access to the firearm.  It will not do you any good at the moment, but could be a option down the road.

This is the only instance I carry in this fashion.  I do not like This form of carry, but I like being unarmed or under armed even more.
    Covfefe
  • Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 350 Member
    If You  are wearing a kilt, You should be carrying a sword instead of a gun..

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,271 Senior Member
    .380 PPK is small, and might be concealed a little easier. I don't know anything about Kilts and accompanying wear, so I don't know if this helps or not.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 20,466 Senior Member
    This quote thing is wonky again, I can't type below it, but can type here. "Can-Can Concealment" sells thigh holsters, as does Gun Goddess. But traditional Kilts are a bit on the short side for that.
    jbp-ohio said:
    Maybe Zorba will lend you his thigh holster....  :D

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,292 Senior Member
    I carry a Charter Arms Off Duty .38 Special in a pocket holster in my right front pocket for that kind of carry. Looks like a wallet from the outside.
    As to carry when wearing a kilt, you could always carry IWB and hide it with a sash worn as a belt. That would hide the pistol. Depends on whether or not you have a sash, though.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member

Try this- - - - -

http://www.thunderwearholsters.com/Default.asp

Unless somebody just has to check whether or not you're a "traditional" kilt-wearer who goes commando, it might be a good option.

Jerry

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,331 Senior Member
    Depends on what you're wearing with your kilt....if you are talking formal with a jacket and vest there are plenty of ways to carry a smaller handgun. Otherwise, the sporran  is the obvious place...since you are making your own sporran it would be easy enough to engineer a pocket on the back side to accomodate a small handgun.
    Often, when attending a gathering, I elect not to carry a firearm but don't feel exactly unarmed

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,218 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    I carry a Charter Arms Off Duty .38 Special in a pocket holster in my right front pocket for that kind of carry. Looks like a wallet from the outside.
    As to carry when wearing a kilt, you could always carry IWB and hide it with a sash worn as a belt. That would hide the pistol. Depends on whether or not you have a sash, though.
    First part, except I carry a Jframe S&W, you can drop a J Frame in the front pocket of almost any pants, should fit fine in your sporran.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    If you are wearing a jacket and vest, your kilt belt should be sturdy enough to support an IWB holster...
    tennmike said:

Uhhhh a sash has no place on a kilt...a skirt maybe but not a kilt
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,007 Senior Member
    No idea about a kilt, but when I have to wear a tucked in shirt I usually carry a mouse gun in 380. Something is better than a pointy stick.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,292 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    tennmike said:

Uhhhh a sash has no place on a kilt...a skirt maybe but not a kilt

Well then, tell these guys they're not properly dressed. :)

If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

edited March 10 #15
    The appropriate accessory to wear is a plaid...and it's secured at the shoulder with a plaid pin..
    Nothing traditional about that get up...this is what it's supposed to look like

• GilaGila Posts: 1,231 Senior Member
    Decisions, decisions.  Each clan has its own tartan, so which one is proper?

BTW, don't forget the dirk...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 20,466 Senior Member
    edited March 10 #17
    Wow, the freedom and comfort of a skirt, coupled with a horrid constricting necktie.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    edited March 10 #18
    Vila said:

When in doubt there are couple of tartans to default to...
    The " Black Watch (Government) "Tartan or the " Royal Stewart"...both are regimental tartans...

It's easy enough to find a families tartan

If one is Irish (they wore kilts too)...there is an Irish National tartan that is a fairly recent development and there is what is known as the " Saffron Kilt" a solid color with a tartan weave worn by they Irish Guards

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,341 Senior Member
    One of many historical figures in my family tree is Robert the Bruce (of Braveheart fame). Which tartan would that be?
    edited March 10 #20
    One of many historical figures in my family tree is Robert the Bruce (of Braveheart fame). Which tartan would that be?
    There are both ancient and modern versions. The old tartan has more muted colors...

https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tartanDetails?ref=398

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,341 Senior Member
    Cool, thanks!
    Jayhawker said:
    Vila said:

When in doubt there are couple of tartans to default to...
    The " Black Watch (Government) "Tartan or the " Royal Stewart"...both are regimental tartans...

It's easy enough to find a families tartan

If one is Irish (they wore kilts too)...there is an Irish National tartan that is a fairly recent development and there is what is known as the " Saffron Kilt" a solid color with a tartan weave worn by they Irish Guards

How did you manage to quote me and get my handle wrong?  Hmmmmm?
    Sometimes this thing just does what it does, don't know why but it does...
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,855 Senior Member
    Woman asking respectfully, "Sir, is there anything worn under the kilt?"

Scotsman replies, " No ma'am, everything is in perfect working order!"

Put a J frame in your sporran, and smile, smile, smile....
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Jayhawker said:
    Sometimes this thing just does what it does, don't know why but it does...
    You got that right.  It's started to **** on me every which way.  The Like, Agree, LOL and Flag buttons just up and quit on me a couple days ago.  The notification icon doesn't reset when I click on it now, and 3 threads in the Clubhouse no longer notify me of new posts.
    Cool, thanks!
    You're welcome...IIRC the Robert Bruce of the Wallace era was the third of that name....interesting history there..Robert ended up roundly kicking Edward II's ass

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    My LCP with a Techniclip is small, thin, and light and is the easiest gun to conceal or carry that I've ever handled. I can hook it on my waistband or inside of my pocket and the omission of a holster keeps it a good bit thinner.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 295 Member
    Yeah well it seems Ill have to wait a bit longer to get some other holsters. Seems the budget has been busted. :(
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,456 Senior Member
    Don't kilts come with that pouch thing in front? That should conceal a compact firearm nicely. 

I personally haven't cracked the nut on EDC in formal wear. The closest I've come is a Shield sized firearm at 4:00 instead of my usual G19 at 1:00
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 295 Member
    Yes a Sporran s a purchased item. But not all are made the same to carry a edc. Also the more formal the event the less useful the sporran. 
    edited March 13 #31
    This sporran I posted above will hold my LCR and my wallet nicely