A target stand kit y'all might be interested in

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 26,106 Senior Member
This target stand uses easily replaceable electrical conduit/galvanized water pipe of the target stand and has hooks to hang the targets. Being easily replaced, the legs and crossbar can be changed out quickly if some one 'accidentally on purpose' shoots the legs or crossbar. At least it's light and easy to set up!

If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    A guy who is good at fab work, with the right tools, could build something similar....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,554 Senior Member
    A guy who is good at fab work, with the right tools, could build something similar....
    A guy not good at fab work could make those with a drill and a jig saw out of 1/2'' plywood. Wouldn't last as long but you could make a 3 gross out of a sheet
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,811 Senior Member
    I built 2 of these. Found the plans on the internet
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    edited March 10 #5
    I've got a gas axe and can make an adjustable pivot to cut out the circular parts and hole in the middle. Legs is just a straight up cutting job. Hooks are easily made from 3/8" rebar and I have that, too. Also have a lot of electrical conduit. If I have time I'll make a few and bring them to the shoot.............with some spare parts. :)
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,577 Senior Member
    That's a good idea - I made mine outta 1/2" black pipe which screws together, but its heavier (both good and bad). Which reminds me, I need to replace a couple of bolts on that lashup before the shoot!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,412 Senior Member
    There just might be a spinner target made from 1/2" or maybe 5/8" armor plate this year, out around the 200 yard line, with a similar support structure. 
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,079 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    That's the way we all do it here.  PVC and pine 2x2s with cardboard stapled on to hold the targets.  They are cheap, don't weigh anything and are easy to make.  I like to shoot paper for sighting in everything and practicing trigger control with handguns. 

I suppose making one of those hanging hook stands would only require a piece of conduit across the top with rebar hooks on the PVC stand.  Personally, when shooting objects, I prefer having them on the ground where I can keep shooting them as they jump around.  Another thing we do is put clays on edge all over the place, at various ranges.  There is nothing more fun than instant feedback.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,211 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    Optimistically, I would give that a 30 minute lifespan at a SE Shoot. What targets go through there is pure brutality.
    RugerFan said:
    Optimistically, I would give that a 30 second lifespan at a SE Shoot. What targets go through there is pure brutality.
    FIFY.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    RugerFan said:
    Optimistically, I would give that a 30 minute lifespan at a SE Shoot. What targets go through there is pure brutality.
    Yeah, the phrase 'getting shot to doll rags' comes to mind.  :smiley:

RugerFan said:
    The shooter is supposed to hit the target, not the stand... 
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    Stand is smaller than the target.

Aim small, miss small. 
    Overkill is underrated.
    Gila said:
    I've seen pistol target stands at 10 yards at the Shoots die horrible grizzly deaths in short order. :D

edited March 11 #15
    Mine was at 15 yards at last year's shoot - and survived. I was fairly surprised! It got the heck kicked out of it, but was still OK at the end of the day.
    Probably won't survive this year though.

• kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,444 Senior Member
    Mine survived fine at the pistol range but CPJ said it was a tad overbuilt.
    tennmike said:
    Gila said:
    I've seen pistol target stands at 10 yards at the Shoots die horrible grizzly deaths in short order. :D
    I also have steel center fire targets that weigh a ton.  I guess at 10 yards they would be safe from wear and tear at the shoot...  :D
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,496 Senior Member
    edited March 11 #18
    Mine are T shape 1/2 PVC. I keep them in an old lawn chair bag along with spare parts. I use light wire to hold the targets. simple, light and cheap. I do like the A frame idea and will try that with the PVC.

I wish that guy would sell just the hooks!

Scratch that idea light wire or a coat hanger will work just fine. 

A PVC sprinkler elbow riser would work fine for the A frame.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    Gila said:
    tennmike said:
    Gila said:
    I also have steel center fire targets that weigh a ton.  I guess at 10 yards they would be safe from wear and tear at the shoot...  :D
    Don't count on it.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,726 Senior Member
    Just ordered a set.  I’ll see if they survive one of my friends- who can destroy any target stand
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Iffin ya don't wanna lose it, don't put it forward of the firing line!

Just ordered a set.  I’ll see if they survive one of my friends- who can destroy any target stand
    Being the thickness of metal that they are, a well placed shot from a rifle could severely damage the leg braces and the hooks. But a fella with a acetylene torch could turn out those things from hot roll steel pretty quickly. Just weld the leg brace bits on a piece of flat stock with a hole burned through it. Small diameter rebar is easy to heat and bend for hooks. And I can buy a poo load of scrap metal at the place I buy from for $50 that would keep me in target stand parts. The legs and crossbars are kind of what I would consider consumables, ESPECIALLY at the Shoot! :D

Shooting steel at less than 100 yards can get dangerous.  We've had numerous close calls with splash back, especially when people start shooting jacketed bullets at reactive targets intended for "lead only"  (That's a joke!)  A couple of years ago, a bunch of our teenage shooters started aiming at at the 2" center hole of a steel flywheel gong at the 200 yard line.  They were sticking an orange target dot over the hole, and anything that rang steel was a "miss".  They had to change the sighter several times because it got "Swiss-cheesed"!   
    Instead of pipe just use 1" diameter solid round stock.  Anything short of a .50 BMG  would have a problem even denting that stuff, and the weight of it would make it hard to tip the frame over or knock it out of alignment with the line of fire.  I'm tinkering with the idea of making a spring loaded silhouette target out of heavy steel plate, with hay rake springs hidden behind it to make it reactive.  There's a 12 X 24 inch one on Ebay that's not too spendy.   
    The axles from a disc harrow would be the bees knees for the top crosspiece. Round or square, they'd take hits from FMJ bullets and just shrug it off.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,685 Senior Member
    I've been taking quite a few steel targets to the SE shoot for several years now and I've modified them several times over the years and my current setup is about as durable as I can get them. The legs are rebar with a piece of chain strung between them and the target is hung from the chain with about 12" of heavy rubber belting. Any target that isn't AR500 will get shot to heck. I also learned that using too heavy a chain or plate gets tore up more as it sucks up the energy rather than dissipating it. I used to attach the target to the chain but the chains were getting cut on occasion and the rubber belting between the target and the chain helped prevent that. I've got a few 6" plates that probably have a few thousand rounds of ball across them and they're not tore up at all. The chains and rebar legs have been replace a few times though.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    My AR500 plate has a few dents that show up (slightly) on the backside - other than that, its still GTG.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,685 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    My AR500 plate has a few dents that show up (slightly) on the backside - other than that, its still GTG.
      I bought my plates several years ago and they're made in the USA but the cheap Chinese plates that Midway and a lot of other places are carrying are not as hard as they're supposed to be. My neighbor has one of the cheap ones and a 300mag round drilled right through it.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    I *think* mine is US made, but I don't remember anymore - forgot where I got it now. *shrug* It is what it is!