Jaguar will NOT be put down after attacking a woman who climbed over a fence at an Arizona zoo to ta

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member

Jaguar will NOT be put down after attacking a woman who climbed over a fence at an Arizona zoo to take a selfie

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 922 Senior Member
    Beautiful animal.   Glad the zoo is defending their animal.   Too many times it seems that when people do something stupid and get hurt, the animal gets punished for doing what animals do.

Put the woman down so she cant repeat this again, and hopefully hasnt had a chance to reproduce yet???
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,545 Senior Member
    Hysterical! Does anyone remember this idiot? Disney is doing a splendid job at culling the mentally deficient.   
    The only sad part is he took someone else with him.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Is that the living with the bears idiot that got eaten?
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,841 Senior Member
    mitdr774 said:
    I believe so.
    Timothy Treadwell was his name
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

mitdr774 said:
    Said he would be honored to be bear scat...... got his wish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    I think the fact that they even wrote this story is stupid. It's a wild animal in a zoo. No one expected it to be safe. Why would anyone even expect they would put it down??
    edited March 11 #8
    I agree the animal shouldn't be put down. It's a predator, doing what predators do.
    The reason for the fence and wall aren't for the cat's protection.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

jbp-ohio said:
    I think the fact that they even wrote this story is stupid. It's a wild animal in a zoo. No one expected it to be safe. Why would anyone even expect they would put it down??
    The typical trend seems to be to put the animal down when a person does something stupid and the animal does what animals do.  Not saying it's right, but its what seems to be the usual outcome. 
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,330 Senior Member
    Once saw a drunk girl trying to pet a jaguar at a private zoo where a company was throwing a product marketing event. She jumped the barriers blocking the access to the cages' area and before anyone can stop her, she shoved an arm through the feline's cage bars trying to grab it; the cat turned around and with both front paws literally peeled her forearm like a banana from above the elbow to almost the wrist . :s
    Being so drunk she barely realized the level of tissue damage in her arm, but fortunately was quickly helped and transported to a hospital by a firemen unit that was coincidentally nearby.

Stupid is who stupid does. Glad the zoo is refusing to euthanize the animal.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,095 Senior Member
    Well, I guess now she knows that wasn't a really big Tabby Kitty.
    Reminds me of a book, 'Tigers Revenge' by Claude Balls.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 2,163 Senior Member
    To the really dumb, wildlife is a Jungle Book were the animals sing and dance!

They're not nearly as terrible as they're made out to be in some nature programs and they wanna prove it.

Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
    True story. I had a guy tell me that I was being overly cautious carrying a firearm and bearspray in Black Bear country. His reasoning was something like this:
    A bear or any other wild animal knows what's in your heart and so if you harbor no ill will towards them then you have nothing to fear from them either because gods creatures have a six Sense and know when they're in danger.

Where he got those ideas, I'll never know -- maybe from watching those Disney nature shows, like that Treadwell guy. He acted like every bear was "Bart the Bear"

But sometimes even movie bears attack.

When will people learn?
    :|

• GilaGila Posts: 1,072 Senior Member
    Jaguars are native to Arizona, but there is no definitive proof that they still exist in the wild here.  Arizona Game & Fish has requested that anyone seeing one get a photo if possible, and notify them of the time and location of the sighting.  Of course, they are on the endangered species list, and there was never any chance of the cat being put down.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,047 Senior Member
    edited March 11 #15
    Gila said:
    Jaguars are native to Arizona, but there is no definitive proof that they still exist in the wild here.  Arizona Game & Fish has requested that anyone seeing one get a photo if possible, and notify them of the time and location of the sighting.  Of course, they are on the endangered species list, and there was never any chance of the cat being put down.
    Apparently Fish and Game havent been keeping up with the news

https://kvoa.com/news/local-news/2019/01/25/new-images-of-wild-jaguar-captured-in-southern-arizona/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_jaguar
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,099 Senior Member
    Looking at Arizona's site, they know they are passing through AZ, but the numbers are small (a handful) and don't seem to be an actual population, much less a reproducing one. Seems it's mainly transients on the edges of their territories.
    Overkill is underrated.
    That seems strangely similar to the stories many Fish and Game Departments were using to discount the fact that mountain lion populations were expanding into places they had not been seen in decades...
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,099 Senior Member
    edited March 11 #18
    Well, I'll just say this... people should be careful wishing an endangered species is found. It's not all roses and daffodils. 
    Overkill is underrated.
    Well, I'll just say this... people should be careful wishing an endangered species is found. It's not all roses and daffodils. 
    I agree...it's not always a good thing...
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,037 Senior Member
    "Severe lacerations" my butt.  A large house cat could do nearly as well.  If that jaguar was actually serious, they've have been tourniqueting a stump.

Probably thought the zookeepers were tossing in a new ping pong ball or something.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug said:
    "Severe lacerations" my butt.  Linefinder's Norwegian throw cat could do nearly as well.  If that jaguar was actually serious, they've have been tourniqueting a stump.

Probably thought the zookeepers were tossing in a new ping pong ball or something.
    FIFY :D  :D :D

Too soon?

If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,724 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    That seems strangely similar to the stories many Fish and Game Departments were using to discount the fact that mountain lion populations were expanding into places they had not been seen in decades...
    Yep.  The rancher that runs cattle on my property finds large chunks of carcasses in the crooks of trees every once in a while.  But there are not supposed to be any mountain lions in that area.

guess the coyotes learned how to climb trees.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,679 Senior Member
    I had a friend learn that the hard way. He'd been hunting a certain part of the Eglin Reservation since high school and was pretty successful over the years and although it's assumed that there are panthers on the reservation, they are rarely seen and my friend found some tracks while he was deer hunting. He made the mistake of mentioning it to the guys at the check-station and within a week a huge tract of land that he had been hunting for over 20 years had been placed "off limits" indefinitely.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    "I've had worse!"
    :D

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,451 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Yep.  The rancher that runs cattle on my property finds large chunks of carcasses in the crooks of trees every once in a while.  But there are not supposed to be any mountain lions in that area.

Recently, we've had black bear (multiple times, all confirmed) mountain lion (twice reported, both confirmed) and wolves (reported, but unconfirmed) through here... I've also seen herds of whitetail, fox and coyotes, hawks of many sorts and eagles much more often than in years past, even including my teen years when I actually spent time hunting, fishing and generally outdoors.  This area isn't exactly an unpopulated area.  It seems that animals have largely overcome their fear of man... or at least find it necessary to ignore that fear. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,224 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:

Well, they can climb, but not with large chunks of carcasses.

Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 282 Member
    many mount lion lions have been spotted on game cams in North East Arkansas.  To quote Capstick, "Sometimes times cats just attack because their just because their...…..cats.  Sometimes times they even kill things and never even eat them, its like they want to kill for the hell of it."  I doubt he wanted to play patty cake or be a screen saver.   
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19