Got a project for the forum gunsmiths

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,046 Senior Member
Try this one. Chambering negotiable.

Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 846 Senior Member
    Not my cup of tea, but that is interesting.  Im no gunsmith, but I would say to just leave it a 7.62x54R.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,253 Senior Member

Tennmike chambered a Moisin-Nagant in  .44 Mag awhile back.  For a moderate-range plinker, that might be a good option.  I think a full-grown cartridge like the Moisin would be a shoulder-wrecker in a lightweight rig like that one would probably be.

Jerry

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,422 Senior Member
    I'm no gunsmith, but I agree with Teach. To me, at first glance, it just screamed .44 Mag.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    edited March 12 #5
    I'm thinking wildcat.  .338x54R Ackley.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,045 Senior Member
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,422 Senior Member
    .270 is always the best choice, but not for the unwashed masses.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,727 Senior Member
    edited March 12 #8
    Can't tell from the picture if it's interrupted thread assembly, or what. It looks like interrupted thread, and that's a non starter. That interrupted thread mess eats up a LOT of time, patience, gets on your nerves, and requires some specialized tooling. I pass. Screw in barrel, no problem. Savage barrel nut for lockup of barrel to receiver. How about a nice .30-30? (I HATE working on Mosins. If you don't use a rim size close to the same as the 7.62X54R you have to rework the ejector which is a major pain.)
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,231 Senior Member
    45 colt?

If someone had some brass 7.62×54R cases. They could cut them off below the shoulder to take 45 cal bullets too. Maybe too much work?
    .480 Ruger, maybe?
    I'm gonna work on my .44 Mag. regarding the feeding issue. Got the part drawn up, just need the weather, monsoon rains in particular, to cooperate. Last thing I need to do is get soaking wet and sick going to/coming from the shop. That will be THE LAST MOSIN I'll EVER work on in that respect. Still contemplating a .38-55/.375 Win. Smelly, though. I have one with a trashed barrel but otherwise in good shape. It would make a good deer rifle for thick woods. And the cartridge feeds without jamming up in the breech. Just need a little diddlin' with the extractor, or make a new one. They're a simple affair and easy to make.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,999 Senior Member
    Easiest conversion would be to boat anchor!
    edited March 12 #13
    Big Al1 said:
    Easiest conversion would be to boat anchor!
    Or a tomato stake! :D

Mosin conversions are a lot like polishing a turd. You polish and polish, and when you're finished, you have a polished turd.................that you've sunk a lot of time and $$$$ in to polish.

How about the same idea- - - -only with a Mauser action?  The double shoulder on a Mauser receiver helps a barrel align with the action better, even if an interrupted thread is used to mate the two parts.  I believe I can do the thread modifications to the receiver, using the indexing head built into the spindle on my lathe, and a small solid carbide end mill in my tool post grinder.  Doing the interrupted thread on the barrel is pretty simple, using the same setup.
    Teach said:
    How about the same idea- - - -only with a Mauser action?  The double shoulder on a Mauser receiver helps a barrel align with the action better, even if an interrupted thread is used to mate the two parts.  I believe I can do the thread modifications to the receiver, using the indexing head built into the spindle on my lathe, and a small solid carbide end mill in my tool post grinder.  Doing the interrupted thread on the barrel is pretty simple, using the same setup.
    On a Mauser action it would be worthwhile to do that interrupted thread thing and as you said, the double shoulder of the Mauser simplifies the process. I could do the same thing using my metal shaper and a rotary table mounted instead of a vise.
    But doing it on a Mosin 'Russian Mule' just ain't in the cards for me.I have better ways to waste my time in the shop! :)

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    .270 is always the best choice, but not for the unwashed masses.

Mike
    I agree, the .270 is only for the more discerning of us who value real performance.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    edited March 12 #17
    Seriously, I agree with .44 Mag. or .45 Long Colt or hell even .30 WCF.

Or maybe that latest bastardisation of the .308 diameter, the .300 BO?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I'm thinking 7.62X39, or some similar glorified pistol cartridge.  Using an interrupted-thread barrel with a full-grown rifle round newer than something from black powder days give me the willies! 
    And another nod for the Mauser is the controlled round feed. Helps keep the bullet nose aligned with the bore, unlike the 'hope it hits the hole' push feed of the Mosin.
    But if you enjoy frustration, and having cussin' fits that would make a Marine D.I. blush, then by all means start working on a Mosin. They will try the patience of a saint with short (compared to the 7.62x54R) pistol or rifle cartridges. There are MUCH easier milsurp and commercial actions to work with, and you can mount scopes on them without having to spend a month cobbling up a scope mount for the Mosin.