Interesting trip on Sunday.

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,762 Senior Member
Had a group of Asians on the boat, most of whom couldnt speak english.
Because it was too rough to cross the bar we ended up fishing in what is called the 'Graveyard' just inside the bar. It was still rough with waves up to 4-5 feet.

One passenger, a 50yr old male chinese caught my attention as he started to look quite sick. After 20 mins of being bounced around he staggered into the cabin and I followed him in......where he collapsed on the floor in what appeared to be a semi comatose state.I put him in the recovery position and through one of the other passengers asked him a few questions while I visually assessed his physical condition. It transpired that he had read somewhere that a 10 day 'fast' was great for clearing out the body and he was 4 days into his 10 day 'fast'. The only thing he had consumed for 4 days was a cup of water every morning. He showed all the signs of being in shock.

The last question as to whether he suffered from any medical conditions was answered by him saying he suffered from heart problems!!!!

A quick discussion with Mark and I declared a medical emergency over the radio to the Coastguard and requested a helicopter medivac. Coastguard agreed  and we up anchored and headed for a sheltered anchorage to await the helicopter.Once in shelter we prepared the boat by anchoring fore and aft and dropping the radar mast. When the chopper arrived they winched a Paramedic on board who did a full assessment. An IV was administered and the guy regained some colour etc but his heart rate was slightly erratic.
We then transferred him to a coastguard RIB to transport him to shore about 80m away where the Helicopter was waiting and he was then flown to hospital for observation.
He was subsequently released 12 hrs later from hospital with no ill effects..

Managed to get a couple of pics..........of the chopper etc....

One thing that did make us laugh was that while we were making our dash to shelter, 4 of the chinese passengers started poking fish hook points into the guys fingers and toes and squeezing them in a form of 'blood letting'.

When the paramedic tried to get a sample of blood from a fingertip  he couldnt find one that didnt have multiple holes in it...........When he asked me what had happened and I told him about the 'blood letting' he cracked up....

I gave the paramedic the 2 10lb snapper I had in my bin so the helicopter crew could have fresh fish for lunch on their return to base.
In 14 years of operation it is the first 'medical emergency' we have had to deal with.
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,031 Senior Member
    WOW------tight jaws for a little while, hey.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Man never know what crazy stuff folks do to themselves.

You did all the right things and you saved his life by your actions.

Did you finish the fishing trip?

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,305 Senior Member
    edited March 12 #4
    The public's stupidity will never cease to amaze me with what some of them think of using for self help "treatments" .
    Glad things worked out for the guy.

Good call on your part
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,203 Senior Member
    I thought this was going to be a story about the clients eating all the bait on the way out!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 4,083 Senior Member
    Whatever country of origin they were from needs  serious improvements in education.

Hopefully fair winds and following seas will smile on the next trip.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,294 Senior Member
    Sounds like you had the kind of excitement that is best dealt with ashore. I bet his electrolytes were totally hosed from not eating anything.
    Good on ya for sharing the fish with that helicopter crew! I bet they appreciated the gesture a lot!

If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:

Did you finish the fishing trip?

Yep.............until the rest of the fishermen started 'Highgrading' their fish......then both Mark and I spat the dummy, pulled the anchor and headed home....gave the guys an earful of sailor language.

( Highgrading means catching bigger fish and throwing back smaller legal fish caught earlier....not only an illegal practice but morally reprehensible.)
    orchidman said:
    Yep.............until the rest of the fishermen started 'Highgrading' their fish......then both Mark and I spat the dummy, pulled the anchor and headed home....gave the guys an earful of sailor language.

( Highgrading means catching bigger fish and throwing back smaller legal fish caught earlier....not only an illegal practice but morally reprehensible.)
    Good on ya for that, Alec. That highgrading ain't right, no way, no how. You keep what you catch that's legal until you limit out. 'Character isn't what you do when people are looking; character is what you do when you're alone."
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 20,512 Senior Member
    You gotta be careful on extended fasts, going to sea wouldn't be my first choice under those conditions.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,384 Senior Member
    edited March 12 #11
    Quite a story! my question is....who pays for the "happening"? medical choppers services aren't precisely cheap, and although we have a coastguard and a lifeguard unit, unless you have a GOOD private insurance or the boat rushes you to a port where you can scrounge for some kind of very basic medical help, it would be more merciful to simply toss you overboard tied to a bag of rocks!

Making a fast during vacations? wonder what these people has in their minds. I can understand if someone prone to suffers from sea sickness avoid eating a full breakfast before going on board, but 4 days without eating???
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 20,512 Senior Member
    Antonio said:
    ...suffers from sea sickness avoid eating a full breakfast before going on board, but 4 days without eating???
    Agreed - esp. since a full stomach can actually help with sea sickness - and if you do succumb, you have something to upchuck which satisfies the urge. Nothing worse than dry heaving.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,335 Senior Member
    edited March 13 #13
    Adventures with Alec....love it...

Speaking of home remedies....I responded to a call in which a kid had spilled a pot of boiling water on herself...when we arrived on scene the child was naked andand covered head to toe, in yellow mustard....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,272 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Sounds like you had the kind of excitement that is best dealt with ashore. I bet his electrolytes were totally hosed from not eating anything.
    Good on ya for sharing the fish with that helicopter crew! I bet they appreciated the gesture a lot!

He was also dehydrated. That guy was drinking only a cup of water per day. Not enough to sustain bodily functions. No wonder he was so screwed up. He was lucky not to die. These type of people are the same ones that cause poachers to kill African Rhinos for the horn as an aphrodisiac.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,336 Senior Member
    Every country and ethnicity has its idiot's. Bad health advice is universal. The Chinese have rhino horn, Americans have essential oils.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,810 Senior Member
    Alec, 

Forget all the side events. You were first on the spot with a plan in hand. All the helicopters in the world serve no advantage if you're flat lined before they get there.

Having been through an "incident" recently, I have all the authority I need to opine. "First Responders" kept me alive long enough to make it to the ER. But.....the "Very First Responders", (a 23 YO Mechanical engineer and an "HR Lady",) kept me alive until the First Responders arrived.

I'm grateful to all, but had it not been for someone/s on site witnessing the event, knowing what to do, and keeping cool, I'd be decomposing right now.

What you went through was more than an "event", and those of us that have survived such pray for people like you several times a day.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,335 Senior Member
    Every country and ethnicity has its idiot's. Bad health advice is universal. The Chinese have rhino horn, Americans have essential oils.
    Hey! I once cured a gunshot wound with a liberal application of Lavender Oil....and Tea Tree Oil will cure everything!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Antonio said:
    Quite a story! my question is....who pays for the "happening"? medical choppers services aren't precisely cheap, and although we have a coastguard and a lifeguard unit, unless you have a GOOD private insurance or the boat rushes you to a port where you can scrounge for some kind of very basic medical help, it would be more merciful to simply toss you overboard tied to a bag of rocks!

Throwing him overboard did occur to me but the paperwork is astronomical if we did that........... :'(
    As far as who pays, the Rescue service is funded by mainly donations and grants from lottery boards, lotto and individuals . I donate every year myself....Never know when I might need them.... ;)

Making a fast during vacations? wonder what these people has in their minds. I can understand if someone prone to suffers from sea sickness avoid eating a full breakfast before going on board, but 4 days without eating???
      If the callout is frivolous or false, then the services like the rescue helicopter/Coastguard will charge for the callout. 
    Alec, 

Forget all the side events. You were first on the spot with a plan in hand. All the helicopters in the world serve no advantage if you're flat lined before they get there.

Having been through an "incident" recently, I have all the authority I need to opine. "First Responders" kept me alive long enough to make it to the ER. But.....the "Very First Responders", (a 23 YO Mechanical engineer and an "HR Lady",) kept me alive until the First Responders arrived.

I'm grateful to all, but had it not been for someone/s on site witnessing the event, knowing what to do, and keeping cool, I'd be decomposing right now.

What you went through was more than an "event", and those of us that have survived such pray for people like you several times a day.

Mike

Thanks Mike. One thing I continue to do almost on a daily basis when working on the charter boat or hunting etc is play 'What If this or that happens'. I picture a scenario and then work out a plan on how to deal with it..........I guess most people do the same thing when they take on responsibility...........although I have seen some real screw ups at times.

The first hour which is called the 'Golden hour' is where decisions are the most important esp when peoples lives are involved.

And I am glad you survived my friend......I still intend to have that beer with you .
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,503 Senior Member
    edited March 13 #20
    Jayhawker said:
    Hey! I once cured a gunshot wound with a liberal application of Lavender Oil....and Tea Tree Oil will cure everything!
    I picked up some pure food grade rosemary oil and dill oil. So far, I tried out the rosemary in a batch of bread... 2 drops in the dough plus some dried rosemary... WOW! That is some tasty bread!
    Knowing how to do CPR, and some 'ditch medicine' for bad cuts, stab wounds, and broken bones is good to know. And having a 'cool head' and not panicking is an asset. Glad that things worked out like they did, and that the guy got the help he needed quickly!

Using fish hooks to do the 'blood letting' is a new one on me. Good thing no leeches were available!

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,224 Senior Member
    The blood letting was most likely hitting some acupuncture points, if they understood their traditional chinese medicine, it was probably fine. My wife , who is certified in acupuncture, has used the technique for very acute sciatica, there is not a lot of blood, you just let the point bleed like any other pin prick, a fish hook might have opened up a bibber wound to bleed though. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11