Jeff Foxworthy on kidney stones

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 26,106 Senior Member
Jeff describes it pretty succinctly. :smiley:

If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Replies

• GilaGila Posts: 1,097 Senior Member
    No one could explain it better than Foxworthy...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,560 Senior Member
    From what I've heard about kidney stones, he was downplaying the pain. :)
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,526 Senior Member
    The only pain I ever had that was worse than kidney stones was a major 3ed degree burn, heart attack, gsw, compound fracture, etc are nothing compared to kidney stones.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,862 Senior Member
    edited March 12 #5
    From what I've heard about kidney stones, he was downplaying the pain. :)
    Having had 9 of them, 2 of which they had to go break up with a laser, I KNOW he downplayed the pain.
    Here's one of the "smaller" ones,
    I didn't even bother going to the Dr with this one, it was only ~4x6mm

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 461 Member
    I've had two and I know the pain is almost un-imaginable! My wife had one about two years ago and she said it was worse than child birth for her!
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
    My urologist complimented me for having every type of renal colic (The fancy term for kidney stone pain) EXCEPT for the classical flank pain.

The first 8mm (3rd overall) one presented with testicular pain. Went in and THOUGHT one of "the boys" had gotten twisted and wasn't getting enough blood flow. It was THE WORST of my 9, so far.

Want to experience it? Take a pair of channel lock pliers, open them up some. Grab one of "the boys" and squeeze until the pain is bad enough to make you puke. The second time you puke, you're ALMOST there.
    A healthy IV dose of demerol didn't touch it, about 20 minutes later they hit me with a healthy dose of morphine on top of the demerol, and that at least brought it down from a 10 (on a 0-10 pain scale) down to around a 7
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

edited March 13 #8
    Concerning childbirth and kidney stones, my wife has had 2 kids, and 1 kidney stone. She said if she had her choice, she'd have another kid over another stone

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Last one I had was 2.5 centimeters in diameter. Had to be run through lithotripsy twice and then go in and retrieve the chunks with the 'basket'. And a stent from bladder to kidney to pass the sand and small stuff.  That stone was super black and so hard the lithotripsy machine had a hard time breaking it up, which is why they had to do that procedure twice a month apart. I have a collection of stones and 'sand' from the kidney stones I've had, since the first one in 1975.

Like KP said, one of my nurses from the 1990s told me she'd had three kids and kidney stones, and that childbirth was a piece of cake in comparison. And that labor didn't last SEVERAL WEEKS.

If I were going to wish ill will on someone, I'd wish them a constant stream of 6-10 mm kidney stones on a biweekly basis! :D
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,560 Senior Member
    The new problem I have with my stones is that my Dr can't prescribe any preventative opioids. New state laws (they are the same in FL too) trying to reduce the illegal supply. Can't get anything unless you go to the ER and they see a stone.

I used to keep Flo-max and Percocets on hand in case of a stone. That way I didn't have to go to the ER. All I can get now is Tramadol which doesn't do diddly
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 282 Member
    I have heard that the largest ever was 6", that's a freakin man.  I've had some ruff times but dang.  Knocked out, second degree burns, cuts, concussions, surgeries but from what my dad describes it, 3 stones is misery.      
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Kidney stones are amazing in the fact that something so small can cause such excruciating pain on a random basis. I was pretty afraid to drive anywhere with that last big one. I'd be driving and then I'd be doubled over in pain; hit the shoulder and stop, and sit there until the pain was down to a dull roar. Made travel on the Interstate highway 'interesting'.