truck issues...again

KMT2KMT2 MemberPosts: 293 Member
Well the truck is not leaking anymore.
 But it seems since I had regular maintenance done on the trans I am now , getting a short shift and aggressive shifting of the trans. Almost to the point of being in the wrong gear and  then slamming into another. 
I'm not amused. I was using Royal purple in it form the last three changes. and the shop noticed that the royal purple is not compatible. per gm spec. Well went back to gm spec and near 4 thousand mile later Im getting this ****.
 I'm just hoping it is a few solenoids and not a full repair. If a new trans is needed it looks to be 6k for a reman. Of which I only have half. so I am using a rent a wreck and I am hoping I can get out of he headache for not much.
 The issue is I  can afford a new vehicle and a lower mile vehicle would be just as much headache , due to Id be fixing the **** out of it.
 Now I'm more stressed and frustrated.
 Seems that I'm either too over qualified or under qualified for any positions I apply for and or I'm on some do not hire list.(note a new job would make me a bit happier and Id have a new ride)
So I am hoping nothing wild will come my way cause i'm about done with this adulting thing.
If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,594 Senior Member
    I hope the transmission gets sorted out without a need for replacement. Might restore some patients for the job search.

My neighborhood is disintegrating like this area. Thieves broke into my shed. I didn't notice at first, but they stole my gas cans. I just hope they don't hit it again before I can reinforce the latch better.

Sometimes you have to seperate problems in order of priority and just get to one today, and the next tomorrow.  Cross it off the list and start on the next one. 
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    That problem with your transmission is why I prefer manual shift transmissions with a clutch and that third pedal. About the worst thing that can happen is a new clutch plate, pressure plate, and throwout bearing replacement.

Hope you can get that thing fixed for not much. Having a vehicle pitch a hissy fit on you when you don't need that aggravation is a pain.

Early, last time someone stole one of my gas cans, they got 3 gallons of gas, 1 gallon of diesel fuel, and an assortment of paint thinner, and assorted chemicals I intended to start piles of brush on fire with. I saw the vehicle a couple of miles down the road. I think it choked on that mix!
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,577 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    That problem with your transmission is why I prefer manual shift transmissions with a clutch and that third pedal. About the worst thing that can happen is a new clutch plate, pressure plate, and throwout bearing replacement.

WORD.
    I've never understood the uniquely North American love affair with automatic transmissions. {Insert Rant Here}
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,455 Senior Member
    Good idea Mikel!  It might be worth it to leave a concoction like that in the garage in hopes that some idiot will steal it!🤣
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 293 Member
    Well, update,
     the trans is smoked.
     The garage, will have to replace it. The cost is more than I want to bear but I need it. So it will be good for another 100k, one could hope. 
    All I can think is a solenoid got gummed up and then it started a cascade effect. Glad I was close to the shop.
     Bad thing is the shop had just got done doing maintenance on it, with new fluid and filter.
    with in a month it puked. SO it is not good.
     The fluid got smoked so it is not a repair job but a replacement job.

Good idea Mikel!  It might be worth it to leave a concoction like that in the garage in hopes that some idiot will steal it!🤣
    What makes you think I don't have ANOTHER 5 gallon gas can with extremely doctored 'gasoline' in it in plain sight? >:) :D  Because I DO have one. Some lessons should be hard, and expensive.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Of course it has a special marking on it for you to remember that it is for camp fires only right!
    Zorba, I need an auto  due to if my wife, heaven forbid , ever needs to drive the truck. Then she can. But I also buy the upper end vehicles due to all the stuff in them.Due to driving tons of miles. I have done my time in a work truck and do not really want to go back to that stripped down stuff.

edited March 14 #10
    Autos are great for folks that are disabled, have bad knees, or are just gettin' too old.
    Myself, they're an answer to a question I wasn't asking - as is most of the other crap "they" put on vehicles these days.
    My late 110lb mother drove, and loved to drive, our '63 1 ton GMC with the 9 foot stepside bed, SM420 manual transmission, no power anything - no power brakes, no power steering. Now its my opinion that a truck like that really should have power steering, but power brakes are kind of silly. Small vehicles don't even need power steering as far as I'm concerned.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,660 Senior Member
    Can you remove it yourself and take it to them for the rebuild?  Unless you need hard parts automatics are cheap to rebuild it's the labor that kills you.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    zorba said:
    tennmike said:

WORD.
    I've never understood the uniquely North American love affair with automatic transmissions. {Insert Rant Here}

It has to do with fuel economy, I never saved any gas driving a four speed. Wouldn't mind another standard trans but it would have to be plugged into some serious HP or whats the use?

Buford said:
    Can you remove it yourself and take it to them for the rebuild?  Unless you need hard parts automatics are cheap to rebuild it's the labor that kills you.
    Nope I dont have the ability to remove and I dont have the time. The reman trans is going to be in and done for under 4k. Until I want a few other things one. Like helicoil to holes in the flange to allow for easy access to the pan to drain the fluid, and a positive clearing of the line and trans cooler to get the burnt stuff out.
    Please note the truck is over an hour away and Id be messing with it for days to get it out. 

What kind of warranty do they offer?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,050 Senior Member
    The mechanics around here flat refuse to rebuild transmissions....they tell you that bolting up a remanufactured transmission is way cheaper and less time consuming
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    KMT2 said:
    Of course it has a special marking on it for you to remember that it is for camp fires only right!
    All the nozzles on my 'real gas' cans have a black nozzle. The not really gas can always has a different colored nozzle depending on what color rattle can paint I grab. And my real gas cans are not in view of anyone looking for a quick steal; they're in the shop behind the house, and it's locked.

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,455 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    What makes you think I don't have ANOTHER 5 gallon gas can with extremely doctored 'gasoline' in it in plain sight? >:) :D  Because I DO have one. Some lessons should be hard, and expensive.
    Well, I meant for me to do... but you can too, if'n you want!🤣
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    Jayhawker said:
    The mechanics around here flat refuse to rebuild transmissions....they tell you that bolting up a remanufactured transmission is way cheaper and less time consuming
    4K for a rebuilt transmission that probably comes with a 6 month warranty, Damn.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,211 Senior Member
    I have had to get done... 7 sets of tires, 4 sets of brakes, 2 transmissions, 2 rear ends, a transfer case, a clutch, an engine, a timing belt, a new head, a radiator, a carburetor, and a drive shaft in the last year. Then there are the trailers and machines! It is never ending for me.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,554 Senior Member
    A carburetor? I haven't had anything with a carb since........ 1993?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    It is a 1987 Chevy C70 dump truck. It needed the engine and clutch too.
    I have had to get done... 7 sets of tires, 4 sets of brakes, 2 transmissions, 2 rear ends, a transfer case, a clutch, an engine, a timing belt, a new head, a radiator, a carburetor, and a drive shaft in the last year. Then there are the trailers and machines! It is never ending for me.
    You need to hire a mechanic for your crew.
    edited March 14 #23
    My guys do a lot of that stuff. It keeps them busy during our down times. Right now, I got them rebuilding the bucket release on one skid steer and fixing a froze up linkage on another getting them ready for spring. Then they will be installing a dump bed on the Duramax in the near future.

Otherwise, my mechanic is 8 blocks away from the yard.

Flats? We get lots and lots of those so I picked up a manual tire changer from Harbor Freight, patches, stems, glue, lube, etc. so we can fix flats and change tires in a pinch. That has been a huge help.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,685 Senior Member
    One of our trucks is a 2006 GMC and the manual  specifically states not to flush the **** or rear end past 100,000 miles. It says change the fluid but do not flush the system.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,594 Senior Member
    500,000+ miles on the little Mack I drive at work. 12 years old. I don't know how much work the fleets Allisons have needed. I do know that I haven't missed having to shift.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,248 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Some good friends of mine own and operate a local family transmission shop that has been around since the 1950's.  They still rebuild transmissions in house.  They are not cheap, but they are absolutely trustworthy and take pride in their work.  They are a full-service repair shop (not just transmissions) so they are the only ones I allow to touch my vehicles for any repairs I can't or am not willing to handle.
    Buford said:
    12 months 100k miles

KMT2 said:
    Buford said:
    12 months 100k miles

Well, when they get the remanufactured one in I hope it lasts until the body falls off and the frame disintegrates. Vehicle problems can sure get expensive.

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    One of our trucks is a 2006 GMC and the manual  specifically states not to flush the **** or rear end past 100,000 miles. It says change the fluid but do not flush the system.
    ^this

A lot of folks are mistaken that changing transmission fluid is a good thing.  Once mileage gets up there, even changing the fluid can start a chain reaction that leads to quicker failure.  Changing the fluid can increase the lubrication on the clutch packs, which then start slipping.  Slipping leads to heat, and heat kills transmissions.  Leaving a little friction material in there is a good thing on older transmissions.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    I put LOTS of miles on my trucks.  My personal way of doing it; At around the 100,000 mark, I drain the fluid into a CLEAN pan.  I replace the trans filter and run the old fluid through a filter, like a paint funnel, and keep roughly half of the transmission's capacity.  After putting on a new gasket and torquing the pan back on, I put some of the old fluid back in and top it off with new fluid.  That's the only service that transmission will ever get in it's life.  I've done close to or over 200,000 miles on quite a few trucks and have never lost a transmission... Thought I was losing one once, but it threw a code that indicated a bad shift solenoid.  Replaced both shift solenoids, left the old filter in and strained and put back most of the old fluid and topped off with new.  Never another problem.  Sold that truck to a friend with almost 200k on it and he ran it for years before getting rid of it for a newer truck.  But, that's just my way.
    While we're talking about automatic transmissions - I was taught to shift one into neutral at stoplights and other stops longer than a minute or so, the idea being that doing so helps cool the transmission if its been running loaded in hot weather.
    Good idea or bad? I "assume" that the fluid is still being pumped through the transmission cooler/radiator heat exchanger...