2»

Replies

• KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 294 Member
    tennmike said:
    KMT2 said:
    Buford said:
    What kind of warranty do they offer?
    12 months 100k miles

Well, when they get the remanufactured one in I hope it lasts until the body falls off and the frame disintegrates. Vehicle problems can sure get expensive.
    So do I.
     Jay said:
    One of our trucks is a 2006 GMC and the manual  specifically states not to flush the **** or rear end past 100,000 miles. It says change the fluid but do not flush the system.
    ^this

A lot of folks are mistaken that changing transmission fluid is a good thing.  Once mileage gets up there, even changing the fluid can start a chain reaction that leads to quicker failure.  Changing the fluid can increase the lubrication on the clutch packs, which then start slipping.  Slipping leads to heat, and heat kills transmissions.  Leaving a little friction material in there is a good thing on older transmissions.
    I maintain my fluids as per the manufacture requirements of 50 to 60k miles complete change out. last change the tech said that they did not see any material in the pan of any concern.

If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
    Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.
    zorba said:
    While we're talking about automatic transmissions - I was taught to shift one into neutral at stoplights and other stops longer than a minute or so, the idea being that doing so helps cool the transmission if its been running loaded in hot weather.
    Good idea or bad? I "assume" that the fluid is still being pumped through the transmission cooler/radiator heat exchanger...
    Maybe with an old model or design, the modern stuff from mid 1980's you should not need to. 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,936 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    One of our trucks is a 2006 GMC and the manual  specifically states not to flush the **** or rear end past 100,000 miles. It says change the fluid but do not flush the system.
    ^this

A lot of folks are mistaken that changing transmission fluid is a good thing.  Once mileage gets up there, even changing the fluid can start a chain reaction that leads to quicker failure.  Changing the fluid can increase the lubrication on the clutch packs, which then start slipping.  Slipping leads to heat, and heat kills transmissions.  Leaving a little friction material in there is a good thing on older transmissions.
    Must be what happened to mine, I hit a deer and took out my transmission cooler and leaked transmission fluid until i got to a mechanic about 20 miles up the road, had to replace all of the fluid since it ran out, about a 1 1/2 later it was toast, never got worked hard towing very often, about $4k and the same warranty as KT to replace it. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,386 Senior Member
    I bought my Tundra from my brother with 100,000 on it, don't know if he changed the fluid in the transmission. I have put 200,000 on it and I have not. Shifting out of low with a load felt odd so put Lucas transmission fix in it and shifting normal again. I have towed some heavy loads with it.
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 448 Member
    Just had to put a new transmission in my ford about a month ago. My Tacoma has got right at 80000 on it. I’m debating on having the transmission flushed or not. It is a completeley sealed system you can’t even check fluid levels in it. Toyota recommends the service but I’ve known several that after having it done had to have a new transmission. So mechanics on here what are your opinions.
    Well my truck is back. There was some gear switching burbles but it smoothed out. Noticed that I am back to the original OEM MPG's