Dick's......... doubling down on stupid!

jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior MemberPosts: 9,451 Senior Member
OH! Removing AR's crippled our business. Let's go ahead and make sure we piss off any remaining customers we have..............

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/dicks-to-remove-hunting-products-in-125-stores-amid-fallout-from-gun-ban?fbclid=IwAR1-F3_X2bIvibE2MvtdC17n9WvIUgDWIyfZhZH8XSpt39XjaBR4Kr0DcJg

Dick's to stop selling guns in 125 stores amid sales fallout from ban

Dick's Sporting Goods no longer selling hunting supplies

Fox Business Briefs: After declining sales of hunting supplies in certain stores, Dick's Sporting Goods is considering no longer selling hunting supplies in select stores.

Dick’s Sporting Goods  is planning to eliminate guns and other hunting products from 125 stores. in 2019, a move that comes as the retailer continues to suffer fallout from its controversial decision to ban the sale of some firearms.

The Coraopolis, Pennsylvania-based chain removed the category from 10 stores in 2018, locations which then “had a strong margin rate improvement,” CEO Ed Stack told investors on Tuesday.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Replies

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,574 Senior Member
    Makes sense to me. After upsetting everyone who would actually buy a gun from them, probably not much point in carrying them anymore. They never were much of an outdoor shop anyway. Around here they sell a heck of a lot more golf clubs and yoga mats than they ever did guns and ammo. 
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,657 Senior Member
    less offensive to the soccer moms and millenials, their apparent target demographic now
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,347 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    less offensive to the soccer moms and millenials, their apparent target demographic now
    We were never their target demographic.  We were an afterthought, or at least that's how it seemed to me.  Honestly, the next thing I buy from that place will be the first thing (at least for me personally... the boy has sasquatch feet and we've had some luck finding shoes for him there) I buy from that place, so they never lost me as a customer.  Their AR15 ploy always struck me as nothing more than virtue signaling, as I can't remember ever having seen an AR - or any other EBR for that matter - behind the gun counter.  The fact that all their guns are (at least locally) behind the counter, that the hunting area was at the back of the store, almost hidden, and that their prices (again, locally) were the highest of any of the "big box" sporting goods stores told me all I needed to know about them. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,574 Senior Member
    edited March 13 #5
    knitepoet said:
    Much more lucrative too. Why bother trying to sell a $300 pump shotgun with a 10% profit margin and all the overhead paperwork involved to a penny pinching gun nut who's probably not going to shop there anyway, when you can sell a $300 driver to some suburban dad looking to lower his handicap at a 50% profit margin? If you look at the cost of golf balls it makes factory match ammo look cheap by comparison even on a per shot basis. But easier to sell when you can say these are the same balls Tiger uses! 
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,451 Senior Member
    I know the reasoning. They have the Field & Stream stores to sell actual outdoor gear. Still can't deny that they K-marted themselves and just try to pretend it didn't happen.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,719 Senior Member
    edited March 14 #7
    knitepoet said:
    We were never their target demographic.  We were an afterthought, or at least that's how it seemed to me.  Honestly, the next thing I buy from that place will be the first thing (at least for me personally... the boy has sasquatch feet and we've had some luck finding shoes for him there) I buy from that place, so they never lost me as a customer.  Their AR15 ploy always struck me as nothing more than virtue signaling, as I can't remember ever having seen an AR - or any other EBR for that matter - behind the gun counter.  The fact that all their guns are (at least locally) behind the counter, that the hunting area was at the back of the store, almost hidden, and that their prices (again, locally) were the highest of any of the "big box" sporting goods stores told me all I needed to know about them. 
    Check https://www.sierra.com/ and https://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/

I have some Nephews in size 15 and size 18, they have some good luck there
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,650 Senior Member
      a penny pinching gun nut

Didn't they share their guns and ammo at the SE shoot?  Penny pinching gun nut can't say that I know any.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,045 Senior Member
    Bargain hunters is a better characterization. Cheaper guns and ammo means we can afford more guns and ammo to shoot!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,451 Senior Member
    Probably the only thing I ever really wanted from Dick's was the Remington SP's they had on Black Friday sales......... maybe Rural King will take over
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,939 Senior Member
    Having been on the sales side of the counter, in the People's Republic of California no less, there's a couple of problems I see with gun sales in a "Generic Sporting Goods" environment:

1.  It's almost always going to be subject to a corporate mindset of "how much of it can we turn around and how fast?"  The product lines universally end up being mostly basic transportation models.  I would even go so far as to say that this kind of business perpetuates the CRAP Remingtons have become - they sell to people who ONLY want it cheap, and their wares are being sold by people who either don't care or aren't allowed to.

2.  Gun sales requires employees with knowledge and more than a couple brain cells to rub together - to not only help the customer properly, but to not screw up the paperwork that could cost the shop their FFL.  The profit margins are such in dedicated gun stores that it's hard to pay folks who can manage that what they're worth.  In a chain of box stores where you pretty much HAVE to pay a starting gun guy about the same as a sneaker salesman, and have him selling low end stuff he has no enthusiasm for. . .it's tough to keep 'em.

3.  The above specialized knowledge might dictate that you need to have two tiers of staff - gun capable and not - to cover all shifts you're open.  Rumor is that Wal Mart quit selling guns in CA because some aisle-mopper was asked to help at sporting goods, who then scanned a long gun, sold, and released it with no state or federal paperwork done whatsoever.

In short, there's no passion for the business in that kind of environment.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,347 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Having been on the sales side of the counter, in the People's Republic of California no less, there's a couple of problems I see with gun sales in a "Generic Sporting Goods" environment:

1.  It's almost always going to be subject to a corporate mindset of "how much of it can we turn around and how fast?"  The product lines universally end up being mostly basic transportation models.  I would even go so far as to say that this kind of business perpetuates the CRAP Remingtons have become - they sell to people who ONLY want it cheap, and their wares are being sold by people who either don't care or aren't allowed to.

2.  Gun sales requires employees with knowledge and more than a couple brain cells to rub together - to not only help the customer properly, but to not screw up the paperwork that could cost the shop their FFL.  The profit margins are such in dedicated gun stores that it's hard to pay folks who can manage that what they're worth.  In a chain of box stores where you pretty much HAVE to pay a starting gun guy about the same as a sneaker salesman, and have him selling low end stuff he has no enthusiasm for. . .it's tough to keep 'em.

3.  The above specialized knowledge might dictate that you need to have two tiers of staff - gun capable and not - to cover all shifts you're open.  Rumor is that Wal Mart quit selling guns in CA because some aisle-mopper was asked to help at sporting goods, who then scanned a long gun, sold, and released it with no state or federal paperwork done whatsoever.

This.  For "Big Box" stores to make it, they have to sell LOTS of whatever it is they sell.  That's kind of the point, and part of the reason why folks like them.  Volume means discounts, and folks LIKE discounts. 

Dick's operated differently around here, though.  Is almost like the gun counter was a store within a store.  Their prices were 30% - 50% higher than even Gander Mountain, (who was basically the "Eddie Bauer" of our area... an upscale clothing store for folks who liked the outdoors look, but who were unlikely to actually GO outdoors unless it was walk THROUGH the outdoors on their way to the Range Rover for a grueling 32 minute drive to a nearby wine tasting.) At least GM had selection... Dick's had... well, dick.

"Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,563 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:

This.  For "Big Box" stores to make it, they have to sell LOTS of whatever it is they sell.  That's kind of the point, and part of the reason why folks like them.  Volume means discounts, and folks LIKE discounts. 

Dick's operated differently around here, though.  Is almost like the gun counter was a store within a store.  Their prices were 30% - 50% higher than even Gander Mountain, (who was basically the "Eddie Bauer" of our area... an upscale clothing store for folks who liked the outdoors look, but who were unlikely to actually GO outdoors unless it was walk THROUGH the outdoors on their way to the Range Rover for a grueling 32 minute drive to a nearby wine tasting.) At least GM had selection... Dick's had... well, dick.

We have a DSG. I have never visited it. Why? It occupies the building of the long gone GI Joes. They were a popular regional chain that had a good selection of automobile parts, sporting goods, camping gear, hunting and fishing gear, guns and ammo, and even some military surplus at good prices. They had a beautiful H&R replica 1863 Springfield short (foraging) .58 cal percussion rifle hanging on the wall for $160. I had to have it. The clerk gave me an unrequired ATM form 4473 to fill out. WTH. I had nothing to hide. While I was doing that the clerk informed me of the "5 day waiting period"! I explained the 5 day waiting period was required for fixed ammunition handguns and all non-fixed ammunition guns were exempt from that and the 4473. He replied "Sorry. It's a city ordinance". I wadded up the 4473 and tossed it in the trash on my way out. I headed across town to 'Guncrafters' a local gun store to see if they had one or could order one for me. I was passing city hall on the way so stopped at the police department. I asked the receptionist about the ordinance. She replied. "Not that I'm aware of," called someone and asked if they had a few minutes. She walked me to the City DA's office. I asked him about the ordinance and he replied "absolutely not". I drove to the gun store and they had the rifle in stock! They matched GI Joes price and I also purchased a Lee Minie bullet mold and 2 tins of percussion caps. I paid and walked out the door with everything. I am fairly forgiving but vowed never to walk through GI Joes doors again. Dick's has the same doors so I don't even have to worry about their anti-gun BS.