β€Ί β€Ί

Are you Colorado folks ok?

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 14,834 Senior Member
Hear the weather is getting a bit sporty out there!
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,252 Senior Member
    edited March 13 #2
    Elk creek wont be going to the range todayπŸ˜‹

Other unfortunate news.
    https://www.greeleytribune.com/news/colorado-state-patrol-trooper-involved-in-i-76-crash-near-roggen/
    My prayers for his family, freinds, and coworkers.

Im going out to shovel some now. Slow and steady.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,429 Senior Member
    I don't have to shovel snow, the 95 mph gusts have pretty much swept the snow away leaving the ice, caused by the rain that started at 10 PM last night. 

It's been pretty sporty here today.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,768 Senior Member
    That's a shame about the trooper getting killed. High winds and slick roads, and driving too fast for conditions is a bad combination.
    95 mph gusts is in hurricane territory. Y'all be safe in those nasty conditions!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Yeah, they said between the barometric pressure and the wind speeds Colorado Springs went through the equivalent of a Cat 2 hurricane today. 

The 18" diameter blue spruce in my sisters backyard snapped off about halfway up.

I think it was worse up north (Early likely had it much worse). The roads are gonna suck tomorrow AM.

But, in the 60's by Friday. That's Colorado.

Mike

KSU Firefighter
    In the infamous words of Fibber Magee, what a revolting developmentπŸ˜‹

Got everything shoveled and the water left behind froze into a sheet of ice as I finished. Only thing kept on my feet is the good Lord looks out for foolsπŸ™‰
    Yeah, that's why I don't shovel much. Most snow around here evaporates in a day or two. You shovel down to concrete and the leftover film freezes to ice overnight and may take a week to thaw.

Even jagged refrozen snow offers some traction. Clean ice......not so much.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
    The knee high drifts in the diveway, and the neighbors handicap ramp would have produced pronged hazzard far beyond the thin ice sheet that'll be gone today.

Since I cant get out to safely walk for exercise, it worked out for me.

Long as I don't skate unexpectedly.πŸ˜‹
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,768 Senior Member
    The knee high drifts in the diveway, and the neighbors handicap ramp would have produced pronged hazzard far beyond the thin ice sheet that'll be gone today.

Since I cant get out to safely walk for exercise, it worked out for me.

Long as I don't skate unexpectedly.πŸ˜‹
    Doing that snow shoveling in your driveway and neighbors handicap ramp would be serious cardio exercise. And getting that ramp cleared was a nice thing to do.

Been so long since I've been out there that I've forgot the terrain. Is there anyplace out there that you could shovel a load of coarse river sand, or sand in general, in the back of your truck and use that to scatter on the ice skim after shoveling away the snow? The coarse sand would give ya some traction for feets and tires, and doesn't leave a mess when the ice melts.

Salt or ammonium nitrate is good for melting the ice, but it's really hard on concrete. Over time, both cause concrete to start crumbling. And those bags of stuff that are for ice removal also do that, too.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,321 Senior Member
    edited March 14 #10
    Good ya'll up north are getting through it OK.  Sorry to hear about the Trooper getting hit.

We had nasty wind here yesterday too.  Tornadoes east of here on Tuesday.  Our temperature made it to 80 degrees by noon on Tuesday, then dropped 20 degrees in 30 minutes as the wind and rain storms came in.  It was down to 43 at my house by the time I got home from work.  Then the worst of the wind hit yesterday.  According to the news, the peak wind gust in my area yesterday was 104 mph.  The wind was sustained at 50-60 all afternoon yesterday, with frequent gusts around 80 in some areas throughout the day.  It was a nasty one, for sure.
    Mike
    I should have bought ice melt. Poor planning on my part. But like the other Mike said the sun works quick here. Not like back in Michigan. Ice is mostly gone now. Guy next door is a great guy. I like to help him if I can. He does most of it with a John Deer, but dont fit where I can.

Jay
    I saw Texas on the news. Some trucks blew over. Blue norther??? Glad your alright.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,321 Senior Member
    Pretty much like a blue norther.  Maybe call it a brown norther. :D The rain storms that came through here came in from the south, with the strong wind out of the west.  The worst of it went east of me, heading northeast.  Heavy rain, hail, tornadoes and wind.  Luckily all I got was bad wind and some rain.  For the most part, normal spring weather here.  It was just that the wind was unusually strong with the cold front slamming into the warm air that was in place.  The wind can easily top 60 mph out here in the spring.  Combine the dust kicked up by the wind and a little rain, pretty much means it rains mud, sideways.  It's not often we see over 100 mph winds though. There was quite a few wrecks, downed trees, roofs blown off and other damage.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,834 Senior Member
    Well...good to hear you folks are OK.... it's raining here and the couple of feet of snow we had is about gone...rivers are ripping with the run off...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 455 Member
    We have had quite a bit of snow since first of the year and it had almost melted then we got about two inches a day for first three days this week. Postponed an auction we had scheduled for Tuesday 'til next Tuesday. We always have a lot of wind, especially in the "spring". Nothing really unusual so far. When I first moved here, about this time of year my Dr. asked me how I liked the weather. I said the wind bothered us more than anything. He said look at the snow up on the mountain tops, as long as there's snow there, we'll have a lot of wind! After it melts, we will still have a lot of wind! Truer words....
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
    Local news excerpted some social media comments on the storm. People actually believe that the traffic problems here are caused by incompetent drivers. The concept of infrastructure thats over burdened into collapse seems beyond their mental capacity.

Other people engaged in lawful pursuit of destination access are the cause of my problems. This myopic narcissistic perception is at the root of a self perpetuating disintegration of civil motorist interaction on the roads. It absolutely promises a transportation future plagued with congestion and danger for everyone.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,092 Senior Member
    Most traffic problems are caused by incompetent drivers.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    A hopelessly subjective problem with no practical solution. Infrastructure of commensurate proportion to the resident population would alleviate the cause and effect dynamic of incompetence. The problem here is a literal crisis. Finger pointing mentality is a self perpetuating cancer of degenerative failure.
    We had a storm. We lived through it. Most folks do both.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,092 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    A hopelessly subjective problem with no practical solution. Infrastructure of commensurate proportion to the resident population would alleviate the cause and effect dynamic of incompetence. The problem here is a literal crisis. Finger pointing mentality is a self perpetuating cancer of degenerative failure.
    I can pretty much agree with you here - obviously insufficient infrastructure will exacerbate any underlying problems - and vice-versa. Incompetent drivers are a pet peeve of just about everybody. As I see it, the #1 problem are drivers who for one reason or another just will NOT get out of their own way. These days, that's often caused by thrice damned smart fones - but there are other problems too. Paying attention to the road is job one - too bad so many are too busy rubbernecking at the guy changing a tire on the other side of the road, etc, etc...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    We had a storm. We lived through it. Most folks do both.

Mike
    That's what I thought until I turned the tv on. Should have left it off.πŸ˜‹
  • GilaGila Posts: 987 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    A group which is dominated by incompetent traffic engineers.  If they knew how to drive, then they might just have a chance at making traffic flow smoothly.  Has anyone besides me ever sat at a red light for a full three minutes without another vehicle in sight in any direction...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    Gila said:
    zorba said:
    A group which is dominated by incompetent traffic engineers.  If they knew how to drive, then they might just have a chance at making traffic flow smoothly.  Has anyone besides me ever sat at a red light for a full three minutes without another vehicle in sight in any direction...
    Twice a night. Used to have the lights set on instatrip late at night. Hit pavement sensor, light cycles, move on. Guess that was too complicated for the masses.πŸ˜’