Connecticut court ignores the law...

GilaGila Posts: 987 Senior Member
Gun maker Remington can be sued over how it marketed the Bushmaster rifle used to kill 20 children and six educators at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012, a divided Connecticut Supreme Court ruled Thursday.  The story is at the link below.

http://www.gopusa.com/state-supreme-court-rules-remington-can-be-sued-over-newtown-shooting/

No good deed goes unpunished...

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,768 Senior Member
    This makes like the third time that they've tried that, and the Federal law preventing that has knocked it down twice. Looks like the folk in Connecticut are going for strike three.

And if the federal law is overturned, can we then sue beer, wine, and whiskey makers for the damages/deaths the drunk driver did? How about defective cars causing accidents? Automakers liable for that? How about suing Mickey D's for selling fattening food that makes people overweight? How about silverware makers because knives, forks, and spoons make people eat more and get fat. That sure would open up a Pandora's box of places that could be sued.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,252 Senior Member
    Its difficult for me to imagine the plaintiffs prevailing.
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 260 Member
    Will it make it to the supreme court?  I read about it on a Google site.  They were suing on the basis of Remington promoting violence and vengeful action towards other persons.  It did mention violent video games and movies so should PlayStation and Hollywood be held responsible?  I thought the law clearly stated that gun companies cannot be held responsible for shootings.  If anyone holds responsibility it's the parents for not storing the rifle correctly.  
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,560 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    This makes like the third time that they've tried that, and the Federal law preventing that has knocked it down twice. Looks like the folk in Connecticut are going for strike three.

And if the federal law is overturned, can we then sue beer, wine, and whiskey makers for the damages/deaths the drunk driver did? How about defective cars causing accidents? Automakers liable for that? How about suing Mickey D's for selling fattening food that makes people overweight? How about silverware makers because knives, forks, and spoons make people eat more and get fat. That sure would open up a Pandora's box of places that could be sued.
    Geez, dontcha know this ONLY applies to guns and cigarettes? 
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand