shooting in New Zealand

bellcatbellcat Senior MemberPosts: 1,441 Senior Member
Mass shooter in Christchurch at 2 mosques.....put a camera on and recorded it like a video game.   How sad.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47578798
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,458 Senior Member
    But........ only we have mass shootings. Barry said so......

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,441 Senior Member
    Nobody armed that could have possibly stopped it.

I try to not be bigoted, and I'm very sorry for loss of innocent people, no matter their nationality, religion, gender, etc. I do believe that most people in the world are good. 

But....the actions of the radical Islamic are bound to bring reactions eventually.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,252 Senior Member
    edited March 15 #4
    I'm listening about it on the BBC.. This is a substantial premeditated and organised attack. 30 unconfirmed people dead so far. My thoughts and prayers are with them tonight. I also hope all the perpetrators are exposed caught and recieve swift justice.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Four people in custody, 3 male and 1 female.
    My thoughts and prayers go out to those affected.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    It is 150 miles away from me, its the South Island of New Zealand for god sake

I'm just trying to absorb it all and make sense of it, the country is in shock

I've come to the conclusion there is no sense to it.

Never happened before here , well not an attack on a group of people that are an identity.

It now makes us a target, retribution surely will be in some hearts.
     We had a Bangladesh [ think east Pakistan]  cricket team in that city due to start the third test , they of course are going home.

It's all over face book what he did, he had some sort of Go Pro thing and live streamed it, most of it has been shut own now but alot of us have seen it.

There has been four arrests
     Damn

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,092 Senior Member
    Wow. Shooting up or attacking ANYBODY'S sacred space is horrifically uncool.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 698 Senior Member
    30 of my countrymen dead, 48 wounded, 20 critically, I'm with ojr, I just can't wrap my head around it. Two car bombs were also defused.
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    They are saying 49 dead now,
     i don' know what to say,
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,981 Senior Member
    edited March 15 #10
    Sad. Just plain wrong and will only increase tensions between Muslims and the West. More violence will probably follow in retaliation someplace in the world.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,051 Senior Member
    edited March 15 #11
    Prayers for the families of the victims and the survivors. I just can't imagine...

Oh, and you know how gun folks say, "don't push the anti-gun rhetoric after a shooting" to certain folks? Well....
    Overkill is underrated.
    Daily Mail said 'Trump Supporter' shoots up Mosque...........because of some blog he made. Yep it's Trumps fault.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,663 Senior Member
    This is just horrible.  Prayers out to those affected.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    Nothing can justify an immoral and cowardly act that is carried out against weak and defenseless human beings.

I mourn for all the people of New Zealand, who will undoubtedly suffer for this evil act, whether it be from direct retribution, or knee-jerk reaction from their own government. Punishing the actual perpetrators is the sane answer to such acts, and it takes a very high degree of civilization to limit itself to doing only that. New Zealand may be one of the few countries capable of that - I sincerely hope so.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,662 Senior Member
    Prayers for those affected
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,586 Senior Member
    Very sad. Have been to Christchurch, was a nice town. Just goes to show this sort of thing can happen anywhere. Far far too much hate in the world these days. 
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    This mornings images confirm my impressions last night. An amazingly competent response by first responders. 
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,560 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    Daily Mail said 'Trump Supporter' shoots up Mosque...........because of some blog he made. Yep it's Trumps fault.

They are blaming Candace Owens, as well. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,662 Senior Member
    edited March 15 #19
    Isn't it ironic, how 2 people, LITERALLY half way around the globe, are getting blamed for the actions of a nut?? <smh>
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,768 Senior Member
    49 dead and 20 severely wounded. Shooter was Australian?  Hard to take in that level of violence. Hatred is growing all over the world. Mass shooters seem to be gutless cowards in that they NEVER attack anyone that can defend themselves. That kind of evil is something hard to try understanding, and I don't think I want to understand it. Better to isolate it and eliminate it, and take the word 'eliminate' how you wish.

My prayers and sympathies go to the people of New Zealand. All of them. May the healing begin soon.  New Zealand seems to have got that 'melting pot' of ethnicities right. I hope this incident doesn't cause any hatred to grow. The shooter not being from New Zealand may help the hatred from this hateful act to dissipate.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"gunman behind Friday’s deadly mosque shootings in Christchurch, New Zealand, reportedly chose to attack with firearms to stoke political strife in the U.S. and the entire world.

“I chose firearms for the effect it would have on social discourse, the extra media coverage they would provide and the effect it could have on the politics of United States and thereby the political situation of the world,” the man allegedly wrote in a manifesto according to The Guardian."

https://dailycaller.com/2019/03/15/new-zealand-mosque-attack/?utm_medium=email

edited March 15 #22
    Now I despise him even more if that is possible.

Not sure how accurate the information is about NZ gun laws. Maybe our Kiwi friends will chime in. 

None of the BBC coverage Im hearing nor the NewZealand officials and citizens being interviewed are jumping on gun control. Their focus has been on the extremist hate nature of the crime.

The mass murderer is Australian, and that country is cooperating in harmonious concert with NewZealand authorities. That country as well as NewZealand have rigid regulation of private gun ownership.

I'm personally impressed with the response there.
    A pretty tenuous comparison, completely different regime of access, control and philosophy of use, but the media never lets the truth get in the way. 

A foreigner comes to our country and kills our people with guns because he knows what an effect it will have, now we should have to change our way of life because of a terrorists actions, isn't that what they want?
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,768 Senior Member
    Knowing not much about Australian and New Zealand firearms ownership laws except for what I hear on the forum, and what I read regarding the laws in other places, I still wonder how that piece of work obtained the firearms in New Zealand, not being a citizen of NZ, and especially if any were semiautos which I understand are pretty restricted in centerfire rifles and pistols. Where and how he obtained them would be something no one in the media or police have addressed, and the police are no doubt working on finding that out, and playing their cards close to their vests.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,953 Senior Member
    I say they should air drop the dirt ball off in Syria with his own Gopro strapped to his head and let the real radicals he claims to be fighting have a go at the idiot.
    Oh yeah, I'd advertise the drop in advance.

It wouldn't be pretty but it's what he deserves.
    Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
    tennmike said:
    Knowing not much about Australian and New Zealand firearms ownership laws except for what I hear on the forum, and what I read regarding the laws in other places, I still wonder how that piece of work obtained the firearms in New Zealand, not being a citizen of NZ, and especially if any were semiautos which I understand are pretty restricted in centerfire rifles and pistols. Where and how he obtained them would be something no one in the media or police have addressed, and the police are no doubt working on finding that out, and playing their cards close to their vests.
    Australian citizens are permanent residents upon landing in NZ with minor paperwork.

He held a NZ gun licence, category A, the same as me, which entitled him to purchase at his convenience, and with the presentation of his licence, any semi-automatic long arm of a "sporting" type, i.e less than an 8 round detachable magazine capacity and no freestanding pistol grip, so an AR or AK variant with a piece of tube steel joined to the grip and butt stock or thumbhole stock is an a-cat.
    Magazines are not restricted and anyone can own them although possession of a magazine larger then 8 rounds and long arm compatible with it is considered intent. There are mags available fairly freely of larger capacity.

It was a matter of time before something like this happened, the Prime Minister has already said that laws will change, who knows what that will be, the 10/22 and semi automatic shotguns are by far the most sold guns in NZ.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    I am completely disgusted by this. The shooter is a sick individual. We have guns to protect ourselves from harm, not to harm others.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,528 Senior Member
    Well said Jerm. I watched 6 minutes of the video today. One sick puppy to be sure.  
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,569 Senior Member

Just like here the law abiding gun owners must be punished for criminals misuse of firearms.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/new-zealand-prime-minister-says-our-gun-laws-will-change/ar-BBUOf42?li=BBnb7Kz

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,897 Senior Member
    o:)
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.