.280 Remington Article from July 2012

dlclarndtdlclarndt Posts: 1 New Member
I am looking for this article and cannot seem to get it from the websight. Does anyone have it?

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,180 Senior Member
    Are you looking for an article on the round, or on a specific rifle firing that round? At the top of the page to the right of the G&A logo are some dropdown boxes labeled 'Guns', 'Ammo', etc. You can search the archives of all the magazines under the Outdoor Sportsman Group to maybe find the article you're searching for.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,909 Senior Member
    edited March 16 #3
    What do you want to know about the .280 Remington? It's a great round. But Remiington muddled its reputation for years. For some unknown reason they made it sound like it was only good for pumps and autos. If you have one in a bolt gun it's the ballistic twin of the .270.

Some tout its bullet choices make it better than the .270 but in my opinion they're equal. Now that some bullet makers are making heavier bullets for the .270, that's getting to be a moot point. However, to stabilize the heaviest bullets in either one you really need a tighter twist barrel than most factory rifles.

I've shot bullets as light as 140 grain in mine but really prefer 150 grain either SGKs or either Nosler, either  ballistic tip or partition. With a 150 Nosler Partition it's plenty of gun for anything from whitetails to moose. It's definitely a hammer and with 150s you still get great velocities that give you that advantage of hydraulic shock out to 400 yards or so.

Plus recoil with 150s is usually very manageable. And they stabilize real well in a 1:10 twist barrel. If you're looking to buy one and you hunt at more traditional ranges ( Not a 1,000 yard shooter) a .280 is a great choice. But if it's me I'll stick with a minimum of 24 inches of barrel length.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,496 Senior Member
    IIRC there was an article about the cartridges that benefited most from AI. They were the 257 bob and the 280 Remington.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink: